Front Differential Seal - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:15 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Axle Shaft

And what about when re- installing the spline back into the diff? Are there any issues that I should be concerned about? BTW this is a 2004 Trailblazer LS 4WD. Also I just wanted to say that the site is very informative and a must if you work on your own vehicle.

Thanks,
Mike O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Re-install

Reinstall just be careful of Tripot assembly...do not pull sections apart. Kinda clicks back in but not obvious, keep inward pressure while reseating the stuff back on the outboard side of the half axle. Compare gap from housing to big barrel section with otherside that has not been pulled apart to assure yourself its fully engaged.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I just use a 2 pound rubber mallet on the CV shaft outboard side to engage the circlip. If I break something, I always carry a spare CV shaft in case I need one on the trail.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM

2002 Chevy Trailblazer LS, 110K miles
Blue 4.2L I6 4X4
Another way to extract seal (with pics)

This is a great how to thread! I followed the preceding advice, but with my own twist on the bit about getting the seal out of the differential. My job was made easy by this funky old tool I had lying about (kind of a cross between a cats-paw and a hammer).

I was planning to replace the seal due to minor leak, so I did not care about damaging it. Given the amount of force I used, and descriptions from others in this forum, I do not believe you can remove it and re-use it.

First photo shows the tools used for prying.

Next two photos show how I placed the tools, using the flat of the smaller tool to protect the differential. (The prominence of the brand name on one tool in the photo was not intentional.)

Then took the last photo of the adjuster inside (after wiping it off).

Kept it from "drooling" fluid by jacking driver side up high (full reach of floor jack under frame). Kept the jack and TWO jack stands in there for safety.

I realize this may only be helpful if you, too, have one of those odd pry-bars. Hope it helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3530.JPG‎
Views:	2101
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	12570   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3533.JPG‎
Views:	2129
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	12571   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3531.JPG‎
Views:	3100
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	12572   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_3534.JPG‎
Views:	2820
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	12573  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I have the same problem , when I have the maintenance and replacing oils ( engine , transmitter , front and rear differentials ,,, The mechanic told me there is leaking in the front differential and advised me driving under 120 km until I fix the leaking and now its empty ( no oil ) because it will seal in 2hours .
I bought that part and I'm going tomorrow the workshop to fix it BUT I'm afraid that the Differential has been disrupted now and should be replaced

Although ... sometimes I could hear the sound like Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn appears at a speed of 120 km

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Your mechanic should have advised you to not drive even ONE MILE with a dry differential. Some members have driven with dry diffs and they have survived after being filled. But then we never hear from them again 1 or 2 years later to see if it was permanently OK or damaged.

We just have no data.

Sorry.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Not for safety reasons .

He said that the front Differential will be engaged - or fully connected - when i reach a speed of 120 km
By the way .. I have a 44, but I do not use it once.
but tomorrow i will go to this man to fix it .

thank you mr.roadie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
For what it's worth, there is an attachment for removing CV axles using a slide hammer. Next time, I'm going to buy one - about $35 from the usual on-line tool stores. I't like a bit C that goes behind the CV joint and a good slide hammer can generate quite a bit of shock and pull. OTC 7505 is one example.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
So for those of you that replaced this POS seal, what is the right part number? I just wasted 4 hours of my valuable time fOOOking around with my wife's POS envoy. The local store sold me the wrong part. I am pissed. To make things better against my favor, all the stores in this crappy town have nothing. I ended up special ordering it from the dealer. They don't even have one in the shelf!

I only wonder if I took this POS envoy to have the dealer do the entire job and they would end up telling me that they would have to keep it over the weekend until the part arrives monday....

Last gmc I will ever get. the icon does not even do justice on how sick I am of this pos vehicle
Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
circlip

Do you by chance have a picture of the circlip and it's exact location. I'm not understanding that part of the removal. the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" would help me with this one.

Thanks,
Mike O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in