[SOLVED] RV Towing a TBSS AWD - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > AWD Drivetrain

AWD Drivetrain AWD repairs & problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:38 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
RV Towing a TBSS AWD

Hello all, I am considering a purchase of a 2007 TBSS AWD. Thus far I have not had any dealer to confirm or deny that this vehicle may be flat towed behind an RV. Does anyone on the forum currently tow a TBSS AWD with all wheels down w/o mods, w/mods, or know where information is available? Thanks, BP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 12:49 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Somebody who know more than me will probably chime in soon ... but in the meantime I am 99% sure that you can not tow an awd on all wheels without causing major damage - perhaps there is modifications that can be made to allow you to do it - I'm not sure. I would think the owners manual should address this.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
The dealers you've been talking to are goofs who won't even bother to open the Owner's Manual to find the info you need? We have manuals here on trailvoy in the "Resources" pull-down menu. And the SS will not be flat-towable as a dinghy. Only the 4WD vehicles (not AWD or 2WD) have a neutral position in their transfer case to make it possible.

Attached Images

Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
As roadie illustrated:

DO NOT TOW AN AWD WITH ANY OF ITS WHEELS TOUCHING THE GROUND!!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobSA View Post
As roadie illustrated:

DO NOT TOW AN AWD WITH ANY OF ITS WHEELS TOUCHING THE GROUND!!!!

Well said Rob. Hows things up north?
Kev
Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
big big big big big no-no...buy a full size trailer nd tow it on that

if you hit the search on the top, this has been discussed before more indepth

" I don't drive fast, i fly low"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
As the others have said, this is a BIG NO NO. Easy way to kill your brand new TBSS in a few miles. The way the Torsen T3 center differential works it will lock either the rear (front wheels off the ground) or the front (rear wheels off the ground) [no idea about all 4 on the ground but it cant be pretty] wheels on the ground. Basically its a great way to have to replace the transfer case and probably the transmission.

Have to get a TB with 4X4, not 2WD (pull the driveshaft) or a Bravada/9-7X/Rainier with "AWD". Even then you cannot dolly tow a 4WD TB for extended periods without adding the proper cooling devices (not exactly sure as Ive never towed one dolly style behind a RV). But, if you're looking at an SS for the performance aspect, can always get an 06-08 SWB TB with the 5.3L V8 and turn it into a 6.0L V8 easily and do the minor suspension upgrades. Ive thought about doing this, that way I could have selectable 4WD but I decided I love the SS enough and dont have a reason to need 4WD when I can make do with AWD.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Spend the $1600 on a 16' flat bed trailer... Plus, it has brakes...

The deal with flat towing an automatic transmission is that autos are lubricated by the input pump (manuals don't have a pump, and are lubricated by either shaft turning, so they cool and lubricate fine), and if the input (engine side) is not turning, then there is no lubrication or cooling for the transmission... You can flat tow a 2WD/AWD automatic with the transmission in neutral for ~20 miles or so, but more than that will cook the trans... If you have to go 40-50 miles, you can idle the engine and tow in neutral, but that can lead to a whole host of other problems...

The real way to flat tow anything with an automatic is for it to be part time 4WD and have a "neutral" in the T-case (I know the full time/N/LO Jeep GCs have this, and it also works), and tow it with the trans in Park and the T-case in Neutral...

If you really need to tow the SS flat, you can just take the drive shafts out, but be sure to check the T-case fluid when you're done (or tie the rear drive shaft up above the rear end while leaving it plugged into the output of the T-case), because it will leak on hills and such, if you take the drive shaft out...

Mike
Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for all input!

Thanks to everyone who posted input on this thread. I am reconsidering what to tow behind the RV with all 4 wheels down. Defiantly not an SS...though I do like this vehicle.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bparker01 View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted input on this thread. I am reconsidering what to tow behind the RV with all 4 wheels down. Defiantly not an SS...though I do like this vehicle.
Seriously... Flat towing is a major PITA... No brakes, unless you spend $2k on one of those machines that sits in the foot well and pushes the brake pedal, and you can't back up for any distance with anything you flat tow, due to how the steering on cars/trucks works... A 16' flat bed trailer is the answer... Plus then you don't have to mount a tow mount on the front of the SS... Plus, they can be had in the $1700 range, new, and less used...

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in