Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to clean your throttle body

Tags
how to
610K views 675 replies 401 participants last post by  wingerjw 
#1 ·
Hi folks, thought I'd write this up as I just did it and I see a few people asking about it.

I got most of the pictures form a K&N instruction manual cuz thats what I was doing at the time, I point some things out in them and lay out some better instructions though.

What you will need:
-Large and long phillips or flathead screwdriver
-8mm ratchet (battery)
-10mm ratchet (bolts)
-Throttle body cleaner (I use Berrymans B-12 chemtool)

Now to business:

Step 1: Turn ignition off and disconnect battery.

Step 2: Disconnect the feed line from the fuel pressure regulator. This is located on the front corner of the resonator near the battery. Just pull it off.

Step 3: Remove the screws form the airbox. The one in the front corner is kinda tricky but a long screwdriver and a flashlight will make it easy.

Step 4: Remove the airbox by lifting straight up.

Step 5: Disconnect the air injection hose from the bottom of the intake tube. Squeeze the sides of the clasp and pull down.

Step 6: Disconnect the little brown clip attached to the intake air temp sensor harness. Its tricky, just keep tugging at it. Notice how it opens up in a "C" shape.

Note: At this point you can either set the intake tube aside or unplug the temp sensor and remove the tube completely.

Step 7: Remove the two bolts securing the resonator (blue) and loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body (red).

Step 8: Lift out the resonator. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the crankcase vent hose at the same time.

Ooh, color!
Step 9: Unplug the two wire sets from the throttle body.

Step 10: Unbolt the four bolts mounting the throttle body.

Okay, now you have your throttle body freed up. Gently wiggle it out and grab your can of cleaner. Mine wasn't really dirty but did have a good layer of black grap coagulated on the inside. Just remember that it is supposed to be SHINY, so shiny I kept getting lens flare.... Just blast away at the crud and it should basically melt off. If you have to, you can gently move the butterfly valve with your finger, but beware it is sharp. Use the whole can of cleaner if you want, it cost you what 2 bucks? Once it's nice and shiny, go ahead and put it all back together.

Your done! :)

WARNING: I found out the interesting way that throttle body cleaner is really angry stuff (note the color of my hand above). When I did this, I just figured I'd spray the crap out of it in the parking lot where I was working. One can and one puddle later I had it all done and was working on something else. I went and got some tools out of the back and came around to the front and it felt like I stepped in a pile of crap. Instead, my foot sunk about an INCH into the ASPHALT. The cleaner totally turned the pavement into oatmeal. Word of advice, don't do this in a driveway or kitchen or get it on anything in general. Oh, here's a pic. It also took the tread off my shoes :x.

Hope you enjoyed it and maybe even found it useful!

See less See more
#6 ·
i did this a week or two ago and was curious.... who was the genius who came up with the whole drive by wire idea?? rhetorical... but an answer i would like to know is how is it better than the traditional cable?? anyone know?

#12 ·
... how is it better than the traditional cable??
Emissions and CAFE regulations forced the entire industry to go to electronic controls including throttle. It allows the computer to control idle RPM, which is different for various conditions of temperature, transmission gear, AC compressor on or off, coasting speed, etc. It allows electronic cruise control, not a more complex vacuum servo. It allows electronic feedback that confirms the butterfly valve is actually in the desired position. It allows adaptive algorithms to compensate for intake air temp, barometric pressure, etc. It allows torque management and an RPM governor to reduce GM's warranty expense from driver's abuse.

Lots of benefits.

#8 ·
you mean electric vs cable?

well apparently one day some auto company needed to make a part that would break after warranty that nobody could possibly fix on their own, so they chose to make the throttle electric. the young executive who thought up that idea got rich, retired early, and went to hell.

also, it looks like somebody beat me to this write-up by about 2.5 years in the articles section. I like mine better though because I don't believe everyone knows how to get their intake off.

#23 ·
You didn't mention the engine or year on the Subaru, but a quick Googling shows they seem much more sensitive to actuator damage when a spray is used without restraint.

Personally, I spray a TB cleaner on a shop rag and then wipe around, so it doesn't get wicked into places it shouldn't. Many folks just spray and then wipe.

Don't think I've ever heard of damage on a trailvoy - and hundreds of members have been doing the procedure.

But a good dose of care is never out of place. Thanks for the note.

#24 ·
Don't think I've ever heard of damage on a trailvoy - and hundreds of members have been doing the procedure.
That is, from people who AREN'T complete idiots. We here take no responsibility for the rest of the human population and promptly delete their accounts (i wish:rolleyes:)

:p

#27 ·
Angels singing in background!

If you ever want to see something really cool buy a used trailblazer...
drive it till you hit about 72k miles and not really complaining about any performance lost untill it almost dies at a stop light....
then spend 1 1/2 hrs cleaning the throttle body....
after the last step becarefull with the throttle...
i was turning out of my subdivision and almost got sideways, i was lmao once i regained control!
Thanks Roadie, if it hadnt been for you i would have never thought to clean it!:woohoo::woot::woohoo::woot::woohoo:

#108 ·
I just cleaned mine at 78k

If you ever want to see something really cool buy a used trailblazer...
drive it till you hit about 72k miles and not really complaining about any performance lost untill it almost dies at a stop light....
then spend 1 1/2 hrs cleaning the throttle body....
after the last step becarefull with the throttle...
i was turning out of my subdivision and almost got sideways, i was lmao once i regained control!
Thanks Roadie, if it hadnt been for you i would have never thought to clean it!:woohoo::woot::woohoo::woot::woohoo:
WOW! So much of a difference and it took less than an hour and 4 bucks. I have wanted more pick up and go for quite some time. I would have done this much sooner if I knew how easy it was. I also just flushed the Trans and brake fluid at 78k. I did the brake fluid myself for 7 buck and 1.5 hours when the dealer wanted $110.

#28 ·
Just a quick question. Did you guys have to replace the TB gasket after removing it to clean or were you able to reuse it?

#31 ·
Hey ieatglue thanks for the dumb reply. It doesnt talk about the gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.