Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Swapping 4.2L for SS Motor!

26K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  ej_bennallie 
#1 ·
Hey guys it's spot u 3!! I just received a SS Motor and Drivetrain. I'm going to do the impossible!!! I'm going to completely gut my 4.2 TB and put in the SS Motor and drivetrain. I have a team of good mechanics and we have been doing the research and the results are very promising. Here's the kicker, my TB is 4 wheel drive and the ss is all wheel drive. We are going to try and keep the 4 wheel drive system!!!! Let me know what you guys think!!!!

#4 ·
Transfer case

Well me and the mad scientist decided the stock tranny should do it because how fast are you really gonna go in 4 wheel drive?? Thinking about swapping the torque converter though. My truck is going to look like a sleeper because i'm keeping the same stock body!!!!LOL! Put your money where your mouth is!!!!! I will be posting pics of the whole process so the whole website can see.

#5 ·
This will be an interesting project to watch i'm subscribing to this thread. Lots of people in the year i have been on this site have been on here asking questions and if it's possible. Take lots of pictures for the others that are curious as to how to do it. Good luck :thumbsup:

In my opinion Your stock transfer case should be ok as long as your not trying to tear it up all the time in a4wd or 4hi you will burn the clutches out in there pretty fast. It'll probably take just as much if not more abuse than your stock 4l60e trans. I could be wrong though.

#8 ·
Uh you're going to need the stock SS tranny at least, the 4L60E is going to last exactly 30mins with the LS2 in front of it. Im willing to bet the stock transfer case will work for a while but eventually you'll need to beef it up.

Do you have a complete wiring harness from the SS? You're going to need to swap ALL the electronics to make this work FYI.

#9 ·
electrical

I have the whole car except for the boddy!!! I have the ss tranny and drivetrain but i don't want to put it in yet because i want to see if the regular trans and transfer case will hold up!!! It's going to take us roughly 1 to 2 months to get everything swapped so stay tuned!!!

#22 ·
I have the whole car except for the boddy!!! I have the ss tranny and drivetrain but i don't want to put it in yet because i want to see if the regular trans and transfer case will hold up!!! It's going to take us roughly 1 to 2 months to get everything swapped so stay tuned!!!
To repeat what Foosh said and what I said, Ive seen the 4L70Es blow up behind STOCK TBSSs many times. Sticking the wimpier 4L60E means its an even bigger ticking time bomb.

Good you have everything, you'll need ALL the parts from the SS wiring harness, cluster, etc to have a glimmer of making this work.

Not trying to be a downer, but Ive looked at doing it and it cheaper to either swap a wrecked SS body for a regular TB one or but a TBSS.

if i were you i'd swap the tranny... better safe then sorry. find a full size chevy tranny, there are plenty that are reasonably priced, plus you could probably get a transfercase from the same truck and make it easier to link up. personally depending on the driving you'll be doing i'd go so far as to say throw in a stick!
Same transmission and transfer case in a 1/2 ton truck. the next step up would be out of a 3/4 and a 4l80e and i don't remeber what transfer cases they used in the heavier trucks but i bet there is a couple options there too.
Dont even bother with a 4L80E, its a different box but you'll never get the electronics from the SS to work with it sorry. Have to use another converter, not worth it.

Same transmission, but even the 1/2 ton trucks get a slightly stronger T-case... The 3/4 ton trucks get a better one yet...

IIRC, the 4L70E is just a 4L60E with upgraded parts in it... It's not a totally different box like the 4L80E is...

Mike
Correct, the 4L60E is a electronically controlled 700R4 with minor changes, the 4L65E has some minor upgrades to handle more hp/tq (used in the Silverado SS) and the 4L70E has only like an input speed sensor and maybe 2 or 3 minor changes from the 65E.

#10 ·
if i were you i'd swap the tranny... better safe then sorry. find a full size chevy tranny, there are plenty that are reasonably priced, plus you could probably get a transfercase from the same truck and make it easier to link up. personally depending on the driving you'll be doing i'd go so far as to say throw in a stick!

#12 ·
Same transmission and transfer case in a 1/2 ton truck. the next step up would be out of a 3/4 and a 4l80e and i don't remeber what transfer cases they used in the heavier trucks but i bet there is a couple options there too.

#17 ·
I say if you dont mind doing the work twice go ahead and leave the stock stuff in behind the 6.0 and consider it an experiment to see how long it will last, not to mention what guy doesnt like to what crap explode? I mean come on! Be sure to post pics of the horrific corpse I mean exploded trans after lol. Best of luck to you and congrats on doing something to your truck besides the usual tune and CAI that most people do.

#26 ·
I understand that. Which is why you get rid of the electronics idea. Do the motor swap, and use the transfer case out of the 2500 with the shift on the fly stick, vice the electronic dial selector. Just a thought. I know, there are more electronics involved, but that would circumvent the electronics to control the t-case.....

#28 ·
Ah, yet another issue I have thought of. There are ways to use an angle grinder to make your own short shifter (did it on my Mustang) and it worked wonderfully. With that same idea of cutting it, taking out a section and welding it back together, you'll have to ADD a section to it. I know there are conversion plates for center consoles to go from auto to manual, with trim edges, and boots, and all kinds of cool stuff. Add to the stick, have it come up where one of the front cup holders are, or angle it slightly, and have it come through the floor, just on the driver side of the console.

#29 ·
Hey man, good luck, it sounds like an awesome swap if parts hold up. If they don't, you'll put a transfer case or a rear end on the moon and who cares? That's the price of pioneering and it sounds like you're ready for that with stronger parts standing by. Hook it up and have fun! :thumbsup:

#31 ·
Something that you might consider is using a 6.0 out of a 2500 truck, vice the SS. You can do some very light work to that motor to get ridiculous power output, like the SS and then the computer would talk to the engine easily, even with 4WD. Also, I did some research, the 2500 pick ups don't use hubs, like a Ford. It uses a gas operated piston in the front diff. When you pull the selector to 4WD, a 12V signal is sent to the front diff. That signal heats up the gas in the piston, which then expands, like gases that are heated do, and the piston extends, locking the front diff. Instead of using an electronic signal to lock individual hubs. Sounds like this might need a Solid front axle.

One thing I am considering trying to do someday (when mine is paid off, which is a few years away) is taking the TB body off and putting on a K5 Blazer frame, or short box Silverado frame just for fun. Something different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.