Coil on plug question... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Coil on plug question...

I just bought a 2002 Envoy with the 4.2 engine.

The previuos owner has replaced 2 of the spark plugs and coils since they were the ones causing check engine codes and rough running.

His mechanic says if you replace a spark plug you are going to cause a problem as the coils are apparently fragile when disturbed. That how it was explained to me.

The truck has 133,500 miles and 4/6 are original plugs and coils.

I’m getting the truck ready for a trip and wondering if changing the plugs would be a good idea.

Right now everything is running great. So leave it alone?

I’ve never heard of causing a problem by changing plugs before.

Does anyone know what the mechanic is referring to or have an example of causing a misfire when changing plugs?

Thanks for the advice.

Coop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 02:26 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
At 100K miles the plug should have been changed, and AC Delco 41-103 Iridiums should be used. There just needs to be care taken when removing coils when changing plugs.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy2004 View Post
At 100K miles the plug should have been changed, and AC Delco 41-103 Iridiums should be used. There just needs to be care taken when removing coils when changing plugs.
i agree 100%

having 4 of 6 plugs original is odd, doesn't make sense in the least. 4 of 6 is past its due date.

usually its change them all or none.

and as for disturbing the fragile coils, that's also bunk. just need to take basic care in removal and re installation.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Thanks. Iíll change the plugs.

Coop.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopspeed View Post
Thanks. Iíll change the plugs.

Coop.
I think that's for the best.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM

After watching a YouTube video on changing the plugs, I think I see the potential problem. The spring has to make good contact on both ends inside the plug boot. Plug on one end coil on other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CE4C03D-4AF3-497B-B04B-3F2A53A4AD75.jpg‎
Views:	30
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	37845  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
I have never had a problem with coils going bad from changing plugs. I had coils go bad on their own though. I had the #1 coil replaced at Pep Boys years ago, and a month or so later it went bad again, and they had to replace it for free. I had the #3 go bad, and I replaced it. I went on a trip from Southern California to Oregon, and my alternator went out 60 miles from my sister's house in Oregon, and that killed my #4 coil, which I got replaced at the same time as the alternator. I have since replaced the #2, #5, and #6, and kept the old ones as spares. I changed my plugs at the same time I replaced those last 3 coils, and no problem with the other three coils that had already previously been replaced.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
FYI...at 222K miles I had my first coil failure, #2 cyl, no spark, 100% misfires, ran rough, SES light on. Replaced #2 coil. At 223K miles, transmission won't stay in overdrive. While I'm never hard on the truck and I figure with the mileage, my transmission must be wearing out the valve body. I take it to a local trans shop I used decades ago. I get a call saying the #1 cyl coil needed replacement. Trans is fine. Conclusion - a bad coil can yield different symptoms depending on if it's a misfire under load (my #1) or a complete failure (my #2). I've now ordered an AC Delco spare from Amazon. $50 for an AC Delco coil online. $360 for a shop to diagnose, replace and road test vehicle with 2 yr 24K warranty.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:06 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
hpgrisco damn $360 for diagnostics. You need to buy a good code reader to do more yourself. I bought a decent one that reads engine and ABS codes for only about $70.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Emerald Jewel Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
vansmack $360 was the full repair. This is the first time I ever took the vehicle for repair since I was sure it was the transmission. I felt stupid. It was a $360 lesson. I'm sharing my lesson here. I do all my other repairs/maint. Just not transmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in