What Year and Features 4.2L to put in 60 Year old Hot Rod Truck - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by limequat View Post
Yep, and if he's keeping the 4l60E, there's very little thinning of the harness to be done anyway.

Duwem, have you seen my wiring guide?
Was it Duwem using a 4spd manual or is that Breath? Too many new people with swap questions in the past week to keep track of!

But yep, if anyone wants to go with a I6 + 4L60E/4L80E in a swap then an E67/T42 combo wont require much harness hacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM

1987 Non-GMT360 Other
n/a 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
Was it Duwem using a 4spd manual or is that Breath? Too many new people with swap questions in the past week to keep track of!

But yep, if anyone wants to go with a I6 + 4L60E/4L80E in a swap then an E67/T42 combo wont require much harness hacking.
I'm totally lost. Must've been half a dozen people come through here with 50's trucks.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:25 PM

2007 GMC Envoy SLT
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
To help out limequat and epic, mine is a 1983 GMC with a cast iron manual four speed with a cable drive speedo[ which I'm keeping ]

Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 PM

1950 Chevy 3100
none Other 2WD
My plans are:

4.2L I6 (looks like 06 and newer per the recomendations here)
2WD 4L60E mild build up to handle 350hp and hard driving

Custom welded aluminum manifold to hold one or 3 throttle bodies and air cleaners. (like the old Offy setups etc)
If I were to go with 3, stock ECU is out. That would be a longer term goal.

At some point I would build a tubular split manifold for duel exhaust as well.

I have not seen your wiring guide, please hook me up.

I want the truck to be something my wife can hop in start the key and drive to the store and also something I can go thrash at the track/autocross. Also throw it on the highway at 75 and drive to some car shows.

Hense going with a modern fuel injected engine. I know I could make 350hp with the 235 that is in there, but then it would be "tempermental" and probably not street friendly.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Sounds good to me, Im a GM ECM fanboy because they can do exactly what 95% of people doing swaps need them to and you can program them pretty easily to get the best mileage and power out of an engine.

Go with an 07-09 engine, 58x reluctor vs 06s are still 24x.

This is the last time Ill say it here, but think VERY CAREFULLY about if you want to go with aftermarket throttle bodies and EFI setup. You will make cruise control harder to integrate (very simple with the stock ECMs) plus loose VVT on the exhaust cam (which is a HUGE reason why the I6s make gobs of TQ and have 90% TQ available from 1800-5800rpms). It may look cooler, but if it mean you're going to loose a bunch of power and cruise control, its up to you to weigh the pros/cons as its your ride! If I can help out, let me know!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
hot rod black turbo'ed 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post

Go with an 07-09 engine, 58x reluctor vs 06s are still 24x. <<<< 06's are still 7 notch!
Slight correction
Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM

1950 Chevy 3100
none Other 2WD
Good tips guys, this is very helpful!

Lets assume I'm going 07 and up from this point forward.

Does the vehicle have a separate ECU than the engine? How about a fuse box?

To do what I want can I get away without using the stock steering column, gauges, and switches? I'm aware I will need the proper type of ignition switch to work with the fuel injected engine.

Also, what exactly would be the complete list of parts I would need from a TB/Envoy to make the engine run off the stock ecu in my old truck? (need this so I know what all to ask for from the salvage yard.

One other thing, what are my options for transmissions? Since I'm up in Wisconsin, pretty much everything is 4x4. Can I put any 4L60E behind the engine and use the stock computer, or am I limited to tb/envoy ones? I have heard the bellhousing and torque covertor are unique to the 4.2L?

Can a 2wd oil pan be swapped on an engine that was 4x4? Aware I will need to reverse the sump to the rear.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by efi-diy View Post
Slight correction
Crap, Im was thinking about the 5.3L thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post

Lets assume I'm going 07 and up from this point forward.

Does the vehicle have a separate ECU than the engine? How about a fuse box?

To do what I want can I get away without using the stock steering column, gauges, and switches? I'm aware I will need the proper type of ignition switch to work with the fuel injected engine.

Also, what exactly would be the complete list of parts I would need from a TB/Envoy to make the engine run off the stock ecu in my old truck? (need this so I know what all to ask for from the salvage yard.

One other thing, what are my options for transmissions? Since I'm up in Wisconsin, pretty much everything is 4x4. Can I put any 4L60E behind the engine and use the stock computer, or am I limited to tb/envoy ones? I have heard the bellhousing and torque covertor are unique to the 4.2L?

Can a 2wd oil pan be swapped on an engine that was 4x4? Aware I will need to reverse the sump to the rear.
Yes, you will have 2 modules: 1 ECM for engine operation and 1 TCM for automatic transmission. If you dont want to run an auto, then just use an ECM and turn the ECM <-> TCM comm codes off.

Yes, they have 2 fuseboxes, 1 underhood and 1 under the drivers rear seat.

Yes, Im pretty sure limequat reused most of his Supra interior parts when he swapped his I6 in.

You need to use a 4L60E (preferably from a truck), the ones that originally had a V8 in front of it have different valvebodies that increase the maximum line pressure. For bellhousing, err I hear its kinda unique so Im going to pass that one off to efi-diy or limequat.

Oil pans are identical for 2/4/AWD I6s. If you want to swap the sumps, then you'll have to fab your own pan or buy one already modified. I think efi-diy was making rear sump pans.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM

1951 GMC 3100 PU Truck
hot rod black turbo'ed 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post

The factory pans are all front sump.

2 basic choices

1) modify the stock pan - need a mill & really good tig.

or

2)http://emtechmotorsports.com/oilpan.html Get one ready to bolt on.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1954 Chevy Sedan Delivery
Patina 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by limequat View Post
Yep, and if he's keeping the 4l60E, there's very little thinning of the harness to be done anyway.

Duwem, have you seen my wiring guide?
Limequat, I would also like to see your wiring guide. ('54 Chev sedan delivery project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in