Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Side curtain airbags / seatbelts locked up

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevin N 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2008 TB3SS on Dec. 27th 2008 and was very satisfied with it untill Mar. 1st 2009 when my side curtain airbags deployed several seconds after completing an abrupt maneuver (no impact) to avoid another drivers (posted) illegal turn. I was driving straight down the road at about 35-40 mph when the passenger curtain bag rapidly deployed, (I first thought that I was caught in gunfire) then noticed the drivers curtain bag inflating as if in slow motion, and my seat belt locked up. I was trying to pull the bag back so I could see to turn left, out of the right hand lane of a four lane road to exit the roadway when I then rubbed the curb with both right tires, causing a right front flat. I was like in shock or something, talking with Onstar since the deplosion, untill I parked. Vehicle was towed to dealer with 1066 miles on it. G.M. after conducting an investigation, has determined that I experinced a near rollover situation (pure chicken poop) and therefore declined any warranty or other assistance. Furthermore the drvers seatbelt is now stuck loose. I later noticed the passenger seatbelt retracted so tight that it broke The belt housing on top of the seat (pieces) and has clearly deformed the leather seat. I can only imagine what may have happened to a passenger or a child, if there were one sitting in that seat, through what has now become an ordeal.

#3 ·
Side Curtian

As the old saying goes.. the accuser is ussually the one doing it.. It Perhaps is that the corporate officers are too caught up in thier sucking the millions off the top to realize who supported them to get it in the first place.. It is G.M. itself experiencing the rollover situation that they created for thier own greedy asses...Not I. I am a president of an "s" corp. for nearly 10 years now. My customers and employees safety, and well being, allways come before ... me. I will never whine for a handout.. ever.. I will stand up and firm for the fact that this is wrong of G.M. and the fact that I am not alone with this type of case. I have a collection of Hi-Perf chevys from 1951 streetrod, on up and this is one, I, can do without. I know how to drive (no tickets, no accidents). I fear this G.M. product.

#5 ·
Vehicle was towed to dealer with 1066 miles on it. G.M. after conducting an investigation, has determined that I experinced a near rollover situation (pure chicken poop) and therefore declined any warranty or other assistance.
WOW! Fight tooth and nail! The simple evidence is that the truck did NOT rollover. The sensors over reacted seriously damaging the interior of the truck. A lesser driver might have lost control of the truck and been injured. Try to get your insurance company involved. They love it when someone else can be blamed as fault.

This is not the first story about the sensitive rollover sensors I have read. GM is playing dumb if they gave you the impression this was a unique situation that only you have experienced.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=26620&highlight=side+airbags

Good Luck

#7 ·
Airbag / seatbelt

This is not the first story about the sensitive rollover sensors I have read. GM is playing dumb if they gave you the impression this was a unique situation that only you have experienced.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=26620&highlight=side+airbags

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

SportinLS2, I thank you for the input, I brought the vehicle home yesterday as I am obtaining other estimates. The owner of a experienced and well known body shop came and estimated repairs, he said that I should get the attention of a safety board or news station, he stated something seriously wrong here and the passenger seat and belt is ridculuosly tighter than anything he has ever seen. It even ripped the buckel stop out of the belt. I plan on following his advice to make a video of this mess. I am talking to my ins. agent. I risk the possability of an increase in rates, as I allso have my business liability coverage, 6 other vehicles , mixed use, and collector cars all involved with same policy with nice rates (no claims). Even a simple windshield claim he does not advise. I can pay out of pocket if need be, I now want to give G.M. a bang like they did me before I have it fixed and mess up any evidence. I would rather put in 4 point harnesses and a roll bar than deal with this kind of mess again.

#9 ·
FOOD 4 THOUGHT...

If you fix it yourself, wouldn't the defective 'roll over' sensor just blow your new airbags the next time you need make an aggressive manuver?

I'd be scared very time I hit a pot hole going around a corner.

Be wary of a cosmetic fix when dealing with a sensitive safety feature. They might not even deploy when you really need them!

#10 ·
The fact of the matter is that the time the deployal occurred, was several seconds after I swerved. I did not slam a curb or anything else nor was I near tipping at any point. Even If near tipping was evident ( though not even close).. I would think that at the high point of any rollover incident would be a good time for deployment not seconds after the fact. I mentioned that I may pay out of pocket to get it rolling again ($4,000 including all new sensors). Not fixing myself. I do think I would feel safer with a 4 point harness and a roll bar than allways wondering if She is gonna blow again while cornering, and having a passenger crushed by the overretraction of the seatbelt. I should work on posting pictures of my passenger seat..wickid!

#11 ·
I could have rolled over, twice, doesn't really matter when this deployment occurred while I was driving straight down the road. Aside from this, the tire damage occurred after the deployal, it is obviously a rub and not an impact as I am in shock and trying to see around the bag, secured around my window, while strapped tight to my seat and trying to talk with onstar at the same time. My point really is..I could hire a lawer, spend more $$, wait..someday get it resolved. I can turn this in on my insurance, afford the rate increase that they will pose on me, and make up for all of it in a matter of not too much time. (this is the reallity..really.. in which we live) to gain what? This vehicle self did deploy when it shouldn't have, so for now, I may pay for my involuntary powder..ing from G.M (all over the interior), a substace that I haven't inhaled for well over 20 years!!:thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.