SS K&N??? - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Air Induction

Air Induction Performance Air Intake/Air Induction Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:31 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2007 GMC Yukon SLT
Onyx Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbayou
I installed my K&N lastnight. Man, that airbox is a pain in the @[email protected]#@ to get into. You are right though, the factory air filter was junk. When I finally got the lid off, the filter had fallen off of the intake tube. The results seem pretty good, especially on the top end. The next project will be to open up that hole behind the headlight since that silver dollar sized hole doesn't seem like enough. I can really feel the air suck through that headlight vent now!

Thoughts on the factory box. It seems to be pretty well sealed/shielded from the engine compartment. What I thought was screwy is the big black box attached to the intake tube right after the filter (it is inside of the airbox cover). What the heck does that thing do? It seems like it would screw up the airflow to me, but I didn't have time lastnight to "delete" it. I may look for a piece of tubing to use instead of the factory coupler that includes the box. Additionally, the tube that runs from airbox to the throttle body has some kind of serious whacked out design. Again I would think a straight tube would make a huge difference in airflow as opposed to the maze that is the factory tube. Only issue is there is some kind of sensor that plugs into the side of it (what does it do???).

All in all the factory box is a pretty good design, it just needs some tweaking and a more direct link to the throttle body. Thoughts???
the big black thing is the resinator... it quiets down the intake,(who wants quiet in a SS???) This weekend I am going to dig in and see what I can come up with. The senor is the MAF (mass air flow sensor) Measure the incoming air to adjust fuel/air ratio. Be gentle with it, not cheap to replace.

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
The sensor I was talking about wasn't the MAF (well aware where that is located), it is further up on top of the engine, it almost resembles a PCV valve that plugs into the side of the intake tube up on top of the engine (the part that makes the tube a maze more or less.) The resonator inside the box definitely needs to go then, just need to find a smooth tube piece to replace it with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 PM

I did the K&N yesterday and saw that tube in the resonator on top of the engine. I don't know what it does either, but if you forget to plug it back in for an hour, it doesn't set any codes Chris, do you know what it's for? Will your system have a hole for it or will it go away?

As for the resonator in the box, I'd almost like to just block it off and leave it. It looks like it anchors the filter. If the hole were plugged, it probably wouldn't hurt anything to remain, right?

Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Good point on it anchoring the filter. I am betting it would be pretty easy to seal the hole with a little tape or something, and put a small amount of resin in there to fill it. Once it cures, sand it smooth on the inside, and then you have a nice smooth surface with no resonator, but you can still use the resonator as an anchor.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavydavy GTO
I did the K&N yesterday and saw that tube in the resonator on top of the engine. I don't know what it does either, but if you forget to plug it back in for an hour, it doesn't set any codes Chris, do you know what it's for? Will your system have a hole for it or will it go away?

As for the resonator in the box, I'd almost like to just block it off and leave it. It looks like it anchors the filter. If the hole were plugged, it probably wouldn't hurt anything to remain, right?
The tube going to the resonator is the PCV fresh air tube and as such will be part of our kit.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:59 PM

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
So Chris, does that mean if I fabricate a direct tube to the throttle body, and thus eliminate the resonator on top of the engine, all I need to do then is tap the pipe and use a grommet to re-install the PCV valve? I am pretty confident I could fab up something nice assuming that is all I would need to do. Eliminating the resonators seems like it would do a lot for airflow. You seem to know a lot more about this than most, so your help/input is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
The tube going to the resonator is the PCV fresh air tube and as such will be part of our kit.
Cool, too bad I sold the Speed Inc. induction tube from the goat when I put the maggie on, might have been able to cut it down and use it.

BTW, how'd the move go?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Westbayou by all accounts that should be fine

Wavy, moving day is tomorrow. The weather up here really screwed things up (Hence the reason the ECM/TCM stuff isnt for sale yet lol) Wanna come up and help me move? hehe
Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
Westbayou by all accounts that should be fine

Wavy, moving day is tomorrow. The weather up here really screwed things up (Hence the reason the ECM/TCM stuff isnt for sale yet lol) Wanna come up and help me move? hehe
My brother-in-law flew down last week from Metro, his plane was delayed in leaving because the water truck froze up and they couldn't get any water in the plane. I'd come up, but, uh, oh yeah, I only have the two wheel drive TB. I guess I'd better stay here, sorry.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:23 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Bwahhaahha SAVED! LOL This packing **** sucks, I should have left my cluster tools unpacked :\ Ah well I'll get you car stuff finished ASAFP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in