NON Bose factory head unit swap - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:14 PM

Lightbulb NON Bose factory head unit swap

Hi guys. I am a noob here but I just picked up an '03 Envoy SLT. It has almost every option offered but no XM. I am not even sure whether or not it was offered in '03. My radio has the "AM/FM button but I bought a radio on ebay for an '03 Envoy with the "Band" button in place of the AM/FM button. So...

The radio face is identical other than the one button. It is the Single CD, No cassette stereo... Again, neither radio is a Bose unit. I have ordered a Costar BluestarII bluetooth module to replace the Onstar box with to be able to use my cell hone hands free instead of having a defunct Onstar system. I also want to add Satellite radio (which is why I bought the newer radio; I understand that the one with the AM/FM button will not work with an OEM satellite tuner, although the Costar Bluestar II will work either way.)

So, I also understand that the dealer (or my buddy with his Tech II) has to erase the vin number in the new stereo to unlock it. Aside from installing an antenna for the sat receiver and getting the interface cable, is there anything else I need to know about to make this swap work?

Also, where would the sat receiver have been mounted in the vehicle if it had one? I would like to try to put everything in the stock location.

I searched and could not find any information for the non-Bose units. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 04:32 PM

2005 BowTie TrailBlazer LT
Olympic White '50U' 4.2L I6 4X4
OK,.... I've seen diagrams from the 02 and the 04 for the "base" ( non-BOSE) radio systems; They are different, so I don't know how the 03 is wired & I don't know if the 03 had Sat Radio or not either.

Here are the schematics for the 02 and the 04: The 02 schematics mention that the "Radio Antenna Module" is mounted on the "right rear of headliner". Don't know it's purpose ( RDS? ) but wanted to point it out. The 04 used a "Digital Radio Receiver" that got mounted on the pass side dash hush panel and a "vehicle communication interface" under the pas side rear seat.

If you don't have rear seat audio then speaker wires run directly from the radio to the speakers.

( ** Worth mentioning that I've got a decent set of non-BOSE speakers aftermarket available..... my 04 was wrecked and the 05 TB that replaced it has BOSE. )

2002 Radio:

2004 Radio:

* right click on pic and copy link address to browser address bar for full sized images.

When it comes to the Theftlock,.... I haven't figured it all out yet, but it seems like the non-NAV radios have to be "reprogrammed". The NAV radios can get a simple "VIN re-learn" done using just the hand-held Tech 2. That doesn't seem to work for the non-NAV radios...... At least not for me yet ! ( I've got a Tech 2, but no laptop or PC running Windows XP. ) I was able to "relearn the VIN" when installing a replacement NAV BOSE unit into my 05 TB with the hand held,..... but I was not able to get an 05 non-NAV BOSE head unit to unlock. The "re-learn the VIN" option was only available in the Tech 2 for NAV radios.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanks John.

RDS is encoded into the FM signal and does not require any additional antennae to decode it. It is injected into the 57kHz subcarrier of a radio station's signal. As you travel further from the transmitter, the RDS data will stop showing up before you lose the station.

Anyway... the dealer told me that they would be more than happy to unlock the radio for me for the cost of an hour's labor ($112.00). I don't seem to know anyone with a Tech II scanner.

All in, I am into "upgrading" from one factory radio to another for almost $400 so far - and that's BEFORE I locate a satellite receiver module and wire that up. It's turning into a lot of effort for not a lot of payoff. I am doing this because I don't want to lose my factory chimes or any of the steering wheel controls and to retain my Onstar controls.

I know, I could have bought an aftermarket Android-based double din touchscreen/nav/bluetooth/SAT-Ready unit to use my SWC300 satellite tuner. The problem is - aftermarket chime unit and loss of the use of the climate control steering wheel controls. I know... pretty anal since I will then have to mount a tablet for navigation since I travel to a LOT of places I am unfamiliar with.

Sometimes I start down the wrong path and get past the point of no return before realizing I should have taken a different path... This seems like one of those times...

Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Your not alone,.... I did the same dam thing ! Started out wanting to replace my NAV radio due to worn buttons. It worked fine, didn't look so good. While searching for a radio I read that the LUX BOSE was better sounding than the than the non-LUX,... so rather than spending $60 on buttons I spent a few hundred on a replacement radio. Had to get the LUX AMP too, & ended up with 4-5 of them by the time I purchased a radio. Then I bought a Tech 2 so I could unlock it ( NOT paying the dealer ever again! ) and now that I've got a Tech 2 I need to buy Windows XP in order to do any SPS programming. All told I've got spent over $600 on this little audio project when set of new buttons was all that was really needed. ( Sure; I'll get my $$ worth out of using the Tech 2 for the rest of the life of my truck - but you get the idea !! )

I visit the local bone yards ever other week or so. If you want me to pick up a digital XM receiver and antenna for you just let me know. I'll get it cheap enough and it would cost $18 or less to ship the package. I can't give you a price before I buy them, but I'm there often and those guys are pretty fair with me.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Sounds like we both suffer from the same thing here. My original plan was to move the (2 month old) Pioneer head unit and active add on Sirius tuner from my van to the Envoy. I am taking my "Clown and Country" van out of service, so the factory stuff goes back in pre-sale.

So... I already had pretty much everything I needed. I even got a replacement bluetooth microphone so I didn't have to take the old one out. A 60 dollar SWC controller and a 20 dollar dash install kit and I would have been good... but NO!!!

I started looking at double din nav units. I was pretty particular - I wanted Android OS, Satellite ready (compatible with my Sirius tuner), have NAV and Bluetooth. I found one for around 400 bucks. Then I thought that rather than to spend the money on that, I would figure out how to make it work with my factory unit. A little research, a bluetooth/Onstar replacement module, a head unit with the "BAND" button and dealer unlock fees and I could have had a stereo I could have controlled the space station with...

I digress...

I have read that the satellite tuner will also have to be unlocked prior to use. I thought I might wait to install the new stereo until I have everything here and ready to go so I can have them flash both units at the same time instead of making 2 trips at $112. each.

Your post got me thinking about the GM Tech II scanner and I did a search. Did you use the clone version all over the Internet for around 300 bucks? While looking at those and visiting a couple of other GM vehicle forums, I came across a laptop version with an OBDII adapter for around $130.00. After verifying that it can force a VIN relearn on the radio, I bought it. I'll let you know how that works out.

I need to find out where the satellite radio module is located and what kind of wiring it is going to take to get it connected. I suspect I am going to have to break out the soldering iron and make a harness up for it out of pieces-parts.

I have a buddy that owns a local boneyard. He crushed 6 of these in the last few weeks and said that he gets them in all the time. He gives me really good prices (free, usually because he found out that I am the announcer voice on one of his favorite Velocity channel shows. LOL!) Still, have a look if you are out and see what you can come up with. I would really like to get this wrapped up and working... Actually, I am sort of hoping the radio installation fairy will just come over and wave his magic wand over it and have it instantly done and working. LOL!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:20 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
My replacement unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogvo View Post
Thanks John.

RDS is encoded into the FM signal and does not require any additional antennae to decode it. It is injected into the 57kHz subcarrier of a radio station's signal. As you travel further from the transmitter, the RDS data will stop showing up before you lose the station.

Anyway... the dealer told me that they would be more than happy to unlock the radio for me for the cost of an hour's labor ($112.00). I don't seem to know anyone with a Tech II scanner.

All in, I am into "upgrading" from one factory radio to another for almost $400 so far - and that's BEFORE I locate a satellite receiver module and wire that up. It's turning into a lot of effort for not a lot of payoff. I am doing this because I don't want to lose my factory chimes or any of the steering wheel controls and to retain my Onstar controls.

I know, I could have bought an aftermarket Android-based double din touchscreen/nav/bluetooth/SAT-Ready unit to use my SWC300 satellite tuner. The problem is - aftermarket chime unit and loss of the use of the climate control steering wheel controls. I know... pretty anal since I will then have to mount a tablet for navigation since I travel to a LOT of places I am unfamiliar with.

Sometimes I start down the wrong path and get past the point of no return before realizing I should have taken a different path... This seems like one of those times...
Just to add a few comments about my replacement. Itís been a few yrs, probably 2012 when I replaced the Bose with a pioneer avh-p4400bh, Bluetooth, dvd head unit. Added the xm receiver (in the back storage well) as well, all for about $600 back then. The steering wheel controls all still work without any loss of function using their interface cable. Not sure what you refer to about chime unit.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 AM

The Satellite radio receiver in my 05 is screwed to the pass side hush panel,..... there is another little box under the pass side rear seat too,... I *think* that's the radio "interface" that's shown in the 04 diagrams above. ( don't forget the antenna too ! )

Yup,.. I've got the Tech2 'knock off'; just gotta' get Windows XP so I can put the scanner to full use. It saved me from a trip to the dealer to remove the Theftlock from my NAV head unit and I'm sure it will pay for itself before 2018 is over.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:32 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have an 03 SLT with the Bose. I do believe Sirius wasn't available till 04. I bought an FM modulater and send Sirius from my cell phone through via Bluetooth. Works for me. My Wife's 17 Outback Touring has a 3 year subscription to Sirius which I've loaded on my desktop and cell phone.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Gee, the newest computer I have has WinXP. New money making idea? Maybe?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:17 PM

The box under the right rear seat is where the Onstar module is located. There is another module in there underneath the Onstar box but I don't know what it is.

I got my newer radio yesterday and my knock off Tech II Laptop version today. I still want one of the handheld clones but I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive...

FM Modulator? Naaa. No thanks. I would like to have it as close to a factory install as I can get it. If that means making harnesses to interface the units, that's what I'll do. I never cared for the "adapters" like the cassette adapter or FM Modulators. I would rather not have it at all. I am just anal, I suppose.

As for the antenna, I got one from a Dodge Charger. I would rather have a factory GM style one but I couldn't find one. I may still find one at the boneyard sooner or later... Sort of like the XM receiver module I don't have yet. Haahaahaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in