Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Worst brakedust ever!!!

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Mobileterminal 
#1 ·
This stuff is bad. coated on my dads rims in the front. Washing with a brush did absolutely nothing. I've tried a a couple of different cleaners from walmart, but I am clueless as to what to do to get this stuff off.

Family is going to their house for 4th of july and i want to clean his rims since he just can't do that kind of thing anymore.

Wheel are aluminum, no clear-coat. Any thoughts on what to do?? I From what he says it sounds like they haven't been cleaned in a couple years.

Will post before and after pics after the forth if I can get some ideas on what to try!!! Please help.

#9 ·
Lots of brake dust cleaners that work well,

Go to a auto parts store and ask for ,Or tell them what you need to remove brake dust.And I would not get the one's with acid in first . They can stain your wheels with white marks if left on to long ,,, And the only reason I said to use steel wool is because you said they have no clear coat and they would not come clean . Dont use it if just spraying cleaner on works .and after ,You will probably have to use the mag or aluminum polish to bring the shine back, That's if they dont have clear coat or paint on.

If that doesn't work get the one with acid in ,And the finest steel wool you can ,But you well have to use mag polish then . it takes some elbow grease then, to bring back to a shine. If not clear coated.

#13 ·
WD40 works. Don't just spay on brake caliper. Don't scrub with harsh rough steel wool or a scour pad.

I spray WD40 on a washcloth/ol shirt & go around rim, go to next tire. By then return to starting tire & see if it's grime/brake dust is loose.

If need be, use brush/steel wool/scour pad that won't scrape/gouge your rims, especially if they're chrome.

If you have a day off all to yourself, remove your tires & get at them. WD40, tire cleaner, degreaser, ajax, baking soda+WD40, wash rinse (repeat if not satisfied) & dry then wax.

Hope this helps. We we bought our envoy, i ran into the same thing. Once a month i WD40 the oem rims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.