Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Brake pads

12K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Onyx TBSS 
#1 ·
Ok, I found two different brake pad part numbers on GM Parts Direct, The AC Delco #19165370 that everyone said is the GM OEM Replacement but if you lookup the 2006 TBSS in their online catalog you will find part# 88965687.

Is there a difference in composition?

Which one is better?

I know the AC Delco is less expensive.

#3 ·
I am almost positive that the regular I6 calls for ceramics as OEM, and the SS is not. I think that is the difference you are seeing. There may be other differences as well because the front rotors on the SS are larger than the I6 TB. Call Midas and ask them over the phone.....they should know.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I guess I am going with the ceramics, everyone here seem to like them and I do like the idea of less brake dust.

I am going to replace the front pads and rotors, are there any other tips on replacing them. I already read the shop manual and it seems easy, I have done brake pad and rotor replacement before on toyota's and honda's but never on a chevy truck with AWD.

#6 ·
I recently did a replacement of rotors and pads front & rear on my 05 TB LS. It's not hard at all; just remember to keep the rotor retaining clips (2), or just use a lug nut to keep the rotor in place while replacing the caliper onto the mounting bracket. As for the mounting bracket, they can be a b*&% to remove the bolts if they are original.. GM loves their thread lock! :duh:

Maybe I should have taken pics (for front and rear):yes:

#10 ·
I would imagine one part number is for GM pads and the other part number is for AC/Delco Durastops. I just did brakes on my truck since I had a vibration and I needed to cut the rotors anyway, I mainly replaced the pads because I bought Hawk HPS pads which claim increased braking performance which I figured I'd need since I just upgraded from the 16" stockers to heavier 20" wheels. So you may want to consider those pads since you have an SS (even though you have better brakes than the standard TBs anyway). The only thing I didn't like about them was that they didn't come with new anti-rattle clips. Also because they're performance pads, they squeal a little which some people may not like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.