Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Tie Rod Ends

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  DDS-029 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm fairly sure that I need to replace my tie rod ends on my 2003 TB EXT. Do I need to stick with the OEM parts, or can I go to NAPA/O'Reilly/AutoZone?

(I hate buying parts. NAPA lists outer tie rod ends anywhere from $40 to $200, and I have no basis to choose between them.)

#6 · (Edited)
Went to have my front end alignment checked and had 3 ball joints and one tie rod end bad. I replaced them myself. I set the toe-in and didn't check the caster or camber. That was probably 10,000 miles ago. Tires show no wear and it drives straight. I guess I was probably lucky. I saved several hundred bucks.
The reason I had it checked was because a teenage girl ran me off in the ditch and kept going. My trusty dashcam got a picture of her and her license plate. I gave the video to the state police and her insurance company helped me pay for repairs. None of the repairs were due to the incident. They were just worn out. I laughed for a week. I'm still smiling while I write this!! I now have dashcams front and rear in all 3 vehicles.
My parts were not OEM and have not been a problem.

#9 ·
When mine went bad I bought Moog re-greaseable tie rod ends and Moog re-greaseable upper and lower ball joints. I used a propane torch to loosen the jam nut on the tie rods but I had to use an oxyacetylene torch to "warm" the lower control arm and use a "C" frame press to get the lower balljoint out. The uppers are a pinch bolt, if I remember right, yet they came out easy. I got all the parts from RockAuto because I like Moog stuff and the prices were the lowest.

I wish now that I would have looked at the lower control arm bushings because I think the front bushings are getting soft. They look like a bear to get those bushings plates out.

Good luck to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.