Ticking Noise - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain

02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain Q&A forum for engine and drivetrain repairs/modifications/tuning.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
'05 I6 tick

I just started getting a tick seamingly coming from the top of my front cylinder, only at idle. I believe it's going to be a rocker and I hear it now only because I used to use conventional 10w-30 and now I'm using synthetic 5w-30.
Does anyone know how long this will go before needing major repairs or if it's even a significant issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Anthony Skube, Firefighter
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 PM

I have a very similar sounding issue with my son's 03 I6. The tick can only be heard at idle and after the engine is warm. 2 mechanics both said not to worry about it that opening the engine was not an option at this point. They both suggested adding an oil conditioner, which I did without an improvement.

Did you get the noise to stop? I'd be willing to change to another oil if I thought it would. It sounds a little ghetto and I doubt I could sell the car with that noise.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have the similar ticking. Mine is more when accelerating after engine is warm, fairly quick ticking. Almost like a poker card in the wheel of a bicycle. I do have the slower ticking noise when TB I6 is just started which I hear is normal and goes away once the engine is warm. My ticking when warm on acceleration does not seem as loud as the engine warming up ticking noise. Please help as I can not afford to put any more money out on this 03 TB. Thank you

Old 04-18-2019, 04:41 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Me too....loud ticking and also little tick at start up coming from the top and front of the engine. So here's what I just went through 2 weeks ago. In many cases the ticking is actually the bearing in the alternator many have found this to be an issue. If you rotate the pulley with the belt off and you feel a little resistance it's that bearing. My O2 Trailblazer has 220k miles on it so here's what I did recently I left my totally incompetent mechanic after 40 years and went to another who turned out to be outstanding the manifold was cracked he replaced that and the clunking noise is gone as all the shocks we replaced. Prior to doing that, I replaced the tensioner pulley the VVT solenoid the cam solenoid and the black belt pulley I found these on Amazon as their less expensive t h a n RockAuto with delivery. Everything sounds great now. Also in both cases I remove the positive cable from the battery for reset. Originally no codes were noted of significance. The next thing I did since the loud tick was gone the little baby tick sort of comes and goes I know it's the hydraulic lifter but still the car just still didn't feel like it had a vibe. I tested all the coils as one has been replaced many years ago all of them were AC Delco brand. Even though the car was running great after being at the mechanics I decided as I found out a little trick you never replace just one coil when they go bad you replace all of them so I figured I'd give that a try I went back on the Amazon and bought the qyl brand even at $20 a piece everyone I thought they were outstanding. I will let everyone know here they are superb coils. They are a steal and they are superb quality I actually think they're better than OEM manufacturer and I also got the tip no pun intended to buy the AC Delco iridium spark plugs which are already Gap from the factory you don't touch them. I put the new plugs and coils in place. My freaking 02 TrailBlazer, get this is running better than it did new with 220k on it the idle is smooth as silk the power is fantastic no rough idle it's just crazy. No back to the baby little tick I have it at startup. So here's my next change, some research has indicated and suggested that I use only the AC Delco oil filters. Rumor Has It that a number of aftermarket filters actually have more restrictive filter elements inside. Thus upon startup the oil Journal in the front of the engine are the last ones to receive oil. So at Walmart they have the original filters I bought two I'm actually going to do my old gear head trick. With 220k miles on the vehicle and only running synthetics since new Mobil 1 in this case. I'm going to use the original Factory filter I'm going to try 10- 40. I live in Maryland so it gets pretty hot around here in summertime. Some people have said this calm down the baby tick so give it a try and report back. Also you can always try the additive dose of Marvel Mystery Oil that really seems to clean and unstick everything inside but when I drain the oil out it's really good looking and no gunk is that so what I wouldn't expect based upon how it taken care of the car. I apologize for such a long response I was just trying to impart my experience. Believe me it was all driving me nuts just ask my wife. I've not been here in a long time but this is actually a superb site with superb people on it. I bought my new from the dealer if Gertrude continues another 4 years that'll be great. So far so good I will repost the results after this next oil change for everyone. God bless all of you and have a great day thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in