Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Stock alternator size (amps)

35K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  johnnxmello 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 TB LT 4x4 with the 4.2l engine. Can someone tell me the amp rating on the alternator?
Thanks

#3 ·
its either 130 or 150 i think... cant remeber for sure... they ask u thins when u want to replace ur belt... if that is what ur doing... the size difference is only half an inch so just get a belt for the 150... off the top of my head i dont know the code for it tho... someone listed it before i'm sure there chime in

#13 ·
First, when I say radios I mean 2-way, not broadcast (listen only). Second, by "a number of radios" I mean 6 or 7. There are 3 different 100 watt FM voice radios, on different frecuency bands, and 2 FM radios used for diigital communications (vehicle tracking and messaging). There is also a 100 watt HF AM/FM and SSB radio that is used for other purposes ( for fun). Sorry, no CB. There is sometimes another FM voice radio that I use when necessary. The reason I was asking about the rating of the alternator is that a 100 w radio can pull better than 25 amps when transmitting. Thankfully they are usually only used one at a time in transmit.

So the next likely question is why, right?

I provide emergency communications for a number of groups. My truck is my mobile radio shack.

#14 ·
your fine if i can put a 1200 watt amp in my car pulling 80 amps then i think your little 25 amp radios will not drain a thing. plus your batter has up to 600 to 800 cranking amps so if you do go over the power rating from your altanator you will start chipping away at your battery. but then when your not using any power the alternator charges it up quickly so as long as your battery reads above 11 volts your fine. if you dont have enough power which is probably unlikely. just have another battery added to your car. Thats what i ended up doing with my system. cause evertime the amp hit a low note and used the full 80 amps my lights would flash cause for a split second it would use all of the power from my alternator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.