2008 Envoy radio question - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM

2008 Envoy radio question

Right now there is a Kenwood unit in our vehicle I have a radio from 2009-2011 GMC Acadia ID 25974805. What problem might I run into when installing this in my 2008 Envoy?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 06:45 PM

2008 Envoy radio question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestT-37 View Post
Right now there is a Kenwood unit in our vehicle I have a radio from 2009-2011 GMC Acadia ID 25974805. What problem might I run into when installing this in my 2008 Envoy?

TIA
Check to see if the radio from the GMC Acadia is VIN specific. If it is, you'll need to have a dealer unlock it at your expense.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM

2005 & 2006 Buick Rainier
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 AWD
It depends on the radio, some radios will plug and play, but any more the Factory radios are all VIN specific, they read a code from another computer to unlock them. Some of these radios can be unlocked by Dealerships, and they can usually program it to your vehicle. However some Radios like the BOSE Radio in Rainiers, Trail BLazers, Envoy's etc, cannot be unlocked by the dealer, they have to be shipped to someone else to actually unlock them and reprogram them. I have read several complaints of Dealers bricking a radio. Interestingly You can reprogram the GPS radio in our cars.. .

Being that the radio was not designed for your vehicle, it may or may be able to be unlocked at all.

Then there is the possibility that it might or might not fit in the spot you want it to go. I would try it first, plug it in, see what happens, then go from there.

John

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdssr View Post
Check to see if the radio from the GMC Acadia is VIN specific. If it is, you'll need to have a dealer unlock it at your expense.
Thanks for the replies. How do I check to see if it is a VIN Specific radio?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfoz View Post
It depends on the radio, some radios will plug and play, but any more the Factory radios are all VIN specific, they read a code from another computer to unlock them. Some of these radios can be unlocked by Dealerships, and they can usually program it to your vehicle. However some Radios like the BOSE Radio in Rainiers, Trail BLazers, Envoy's etc, cannot be unlocked by the dealer, they have to be shipped to someone else to actually unlock them and reprogram them. I have read several complaints of Dealers bricking a radio. Interestingly You can reprogram the GPS radio in our cars.. .

Being that the radio was not designed for your vehicle, it may or may be able to be unlocked at all.

Then there is the possibility that it might or might not fit in the spot you want it to go. I would try it first, plug it in, see what happens, then go from there.

John

John Thanks for your reply. Basically, you're saying I may or may not have wasted $30, or I may or may not have gotten a great deal on a basically a barely used radio. LOL
Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 AM

2005 & 2006 Buick Rainier
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 AWD
Hopefully you did not blow $30... But even so, sell it on ebay. The first thing you have to do is plug it in and see if it works and fits... You might have to make some brackets to install it, or swap some brackets over if you can...

Out of curiosity, I looked up pictures of the Acadia Radio... With that said the Acadia appears to use the same radio as the Tahoe-Yukon-Sierra-Suburban-Silverado. If you look at it the sides are not vertical, they have a taper to them (narrower on the bottom than the top) I also think the radio is taller than the stock radio in the Envoy. So you might have to do some hacking to install it.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info, I will need to check it out, not sure if I want to hack up the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfoz View Post
Hopefully you did not blow $30... But even so, sell it on ebay. The first thing you have to do is plug it in and see if it works and fits... You might have to make some brackets to install it, or swap some brackets over if you can...

Out of curiosity, I looked up pictures of the Acadia Radio... With that said the Acadia appears to use the same radio as the Tahoe-Yukon-Sierra-Suburban-Silverado. If you look at it the sides are not vertical, they have a taper to them (narrower on the bottom than the top) I also think the radio is taller than the stock radio in the Envoy. So you might have to do some hacking to install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in