$5.00 "fix" for air ride compressor.... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Lightbulb $5.00 "fix" for air ride compressor....

Hi, my name is Jeremy and this is my first post. Anyway, my wife has an '02 Envoy 4wd with the air suspension in the back. Well, after sounding worse and worse, the pump finally gave out. I checked the dealer and they wanted $474.00 for a new one! Cheapest I could find it online was $370ish, which was still way more than I am willing to pay. I didn't want to get a used one, since it will probably not last too long either, giving my luck. So I figured I would take the old one off to see what I was working with. Pretty easy, just 2 13mm bolts, 2 wiring connectors, 3 (1 for each air bag and 1 for the accessory outlet in the cargo area)5/32" plastic hoses which are threaded, and 1 rubber hose for the intake of the pump which goes into the cargo area.
I pulled the ferrules off the plastic hoses, then the pieces that thread into the pump. So now I had three bare, 5/32" hoses hanging where the pump used to be. Two of them for the bags, and one still connected to a schraeder(sp?) valve in the cargo area(the one for inflating things for 2 minutes before it overheats and shuts off). So I went down to a local rubber/hose supply store and bought a 5/32" union tee with push in connections. Came home, pulled the fuse for the eacs under the hood, plugged the three hoses into the tee, and taped up the electrical connectors and intake tube to keep dirt/moisture out. Then I plugged my portable air compressor into the valve in the cargo area and pumped it up to normal ride height, which was around 50psi. It works great and it only cost $5.30! Plus, I can adjust the ride height any way I want to(within reason)!
Pics to come later tonight. Sorry for the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
O.k., here's a picture of it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Does it hold 50 psi fairly well? I figured it would make the drive a little stiffer if it were at a constant level at all times. Good luck with it though. 5 bucks sounds a whole lot better that almost 500. Good job.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Not a problem at all. Very clever workaround, and it's like what we do when we add Airlift1000 bags inside coil springs to get more lift or less sag under load. At this point, you could spend $125 (at summitracing.com and other vendors) and get the Airlift Load Controller II compressor, and you'd have manual control over your ride height.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mturner333 View Post
Does it hold 50 psi fairly well? I figured it would make the drive a little stiffer if it were at a constant level at all times. Good luck with it though. 5 bucks sounds a whole lot better that almost 500. Good job.
It is at about 47psi right now and it is pretty much the same as before.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
My understanding of air suspensions is that the airbag/air-spring allows air to escape when going over bumps.....the larger the bump, the more escapes in order to absorb the shock. Have you actually driven over a rough road to confirm the pressure remains within the airbags? (This is the way the ford units in the past have worked and would have guessed the GM system was similar). Obnoxious that the air compressor is that expensive, wonder how hard it would be to wire up a 3rd party like the one listed above to the factory harness to control pressure/hight automatically. Figure that the controller turns it on/off.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:32 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm assuming the bags just expand out when the suspension is compressed. With my gauge hooked up to it, I bounced up and down on the back bumper and the gauge fluctuated between 47 and 50 psi. I'm pretty sure it will be fine, but only time will tell.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I like reading threads like this one.....thanks for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylab View Post
My understanding of air suspensions is that the airbag/air-spring allows air to escape when going over bumps.....the larger the bump, the more escapes in order to absorb the shock. Have you actually driven over a rough road to confirm the pressure remains within the airbags? (This is the way the ford units in the past have worked and would have guessed the GM system was similar). Obnoxious that the air compressor is that expensive, wonder how hard it would be to wire up a 3rd party like the one listed above to the factory harness to control pressure/hight automatically. Figure that the controller turns it on/off.
The air bag system is actualy more of a sealed system. Once you add the pressure it stays there untill you let it out, or it slowly leaks out of fittings. The air inside the bag does compress, which is why you can get a good ride out of air because it's like haveing progressive rate springs, the harder you compress the air the stiffer it gets, but on softer bumps it just absorbs the bump with a softer rate.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Good to know

I just bought my Envoy and it has the airbags in the rear. Its good to know that standard size parts and air pressures are used. Thanks. It seems that these compressors over-heat easily, does anyone know if GM has corrected this in later models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in