"OFFICIAL THREAD" on brakes staying applied - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
"OFFICIAL THREAD" on brakes staying applied

OK, I've seen several posts where people said they've bee coming down to a stop and the brakes would drag, but then they'd restart the vehicle, and everything would be fine.

Here is what happened to me:

Driving home from a friend's house last week on the Interstate. Was following somebody in a car that coasts down faster than the TB, as I was getting toward and on the off-ramp. I was very lightly on and off the brakes 8-10 times during the slow-down. I don't know if it matters, but this off-ramp is curved, but we were going a "normal" speed. It was dry and ~50 degrees F. There was no slippage, of any kind, from the tires.

Toward the bottom of the ramp where it straightens up, I let off the brakes, and the rears stayed applied, feeling like the parking brake was half-applied or something. I hit the brakes again and let off, and they stayed applied. I gassed it and accelerated slightly, and they stayed applied. Having read what other people did, I came to a stop, put it in Park, turned the vehicle off, and back on, and everything was fine again. No brake sticking at all the rest of the way home, or at all since then. There were NO lights, SES, ABS, Stabili-trac, no idiot lights on at all.

I called the dealer about it, and the service guy (From past dealings, seems to be a good guy) looked through the database of TSB's and recalls, and could not find anything about it.

My vehicle, as you can see from my profile, is an '07 5.3L, LS, 4X4, G80, with ~6500 miles on it at the time.

Has this, or something similar happened to you? Please explain the situation, and whether cycling the ignition made it go away or not, as well as any dash lights that were on.

Thanks,
Mike Barton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Is everyone 100% sure that it is the brakes? Could it be that the torque convertor is not unlocking? It should be unlocking as soon as you are on the breaks. If it's not you'll have hard engine breaking until the TB is down to 5 MPH or less then it will automatically unlock to pervent the engine from dying.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba_uiu View Post
Is everyone 100% sure that it is the brakes? Could it be that the torque convertor is not unlocking? It should be unlocking as soon as you are on the breaks. If it's not you'll have hard engine breaking until the TB is down to 5 MPH or less then it will automatically unlock to pervent the engine from dying.
It's definately brakes. The engine went back to idle when I was coasting down, and it was hard to accelerate when I sped back up. Plus, I didn't hit the brakes at all until I was completely stopped, and put it in Park. I have a switch to lock up the TCC on my Caprice, and this was DEFINATELY not the same.

Mike

Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Exclamation Breaks locked up on expressway

I was coming to the end of the expressway (m59/hall rd.) and slowing down at a light I came to a complete stop at the light and when the light turned green I pushed on the gas and car would not move very much I continued to push more on the gas and the car finally started to move! I then started to smell something burning... I got off as soon as I could and when I went to push the brakes it was stuck and wouldn't move!... It seems the brakes locked up I turned off the car and turned it back on and everything was back to normal even had on star run a diagnostics report nothing...

I have almost 18,000 miles on my TBSS and it has a Vector Tune.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM

Well, since only one person from the old thread has posted their story up, I'll copy them here... From here: https://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...kes+locked+wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 395hpss View Post
I had this very same thing happen to my 2006 ss in jan 07 with 1400 miles. Had it the dealer on several occasions and they could not duplicate the problem. They bled brakes and lots of reprograming and has not happened since. They blamed it on air in the right rear caliper.
This was before i installed my vector tune. Good Luck, Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector MS View Post
I have also had this happen to my truck. I have over 20,000 miles and it has happened once.

I was slowing down to turn a corner and when I went to give it gas it kept slowing down. It took a lot of throttle to make the truck move.
I shut the truck off and re-started and everything was OK.

I believe the problem is a glitch in the anti-lock braking system. This is the only thing I can think of that has the power to over ride the braking system and automaticly apply the brakes.

There were no codes on any of the modules & my dealer friends had no clue.

Kirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior44 View Post
I have had the same thing happen to my 2007 TB. It is getting more frequent. At times If I barely touch the brake pedal the car will stop abruptly. It also even slows down going dowm hill with out me even touching the brake pedsal. I have brought it to the dealership 3 times so far and the first time they said the roatra were warped and cut them. The second and third time they told me that there is nothing wrong. I dont even think they put it on the loft and looked. I had an excessive amount of brake dust on my rims and it was still there when I picked up the car. Not even finger smudges from taking the tire off. I think I am be hosed here. Think I am going to try out the lemon law,

Well If anyone has found the problem and a way to fix it I would love to hear it.

THanks
Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

1999 Chevy Silverado
Graystone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
I've never had them lock up while slowing down, but the driver's rear will hold when I take off. It doesn't "hold" me back, just pops a few times and lets loose. Any one heard of this?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Mine does the same thing. slows down fine but holds for a little bit and breaks loose when i give it gas.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM

My mechanic (not the dealer) said it is from the rear calipers ceasing. He's seen a few in there for that before.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CipsTBLT View Post
My mechanic (not the dealer) said it is from the rear calipers ceasing. He's seen a few in there for that before.
Rear caliper ceasing would not correct itself with the key cycle as those that experienced this have stated

I would be leaning toward a concern with the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM)...the module controls the dynamic rear proportioning which regulates the rear brake pressure. The EBCM could intermittently fail and electronically hold the rear brake apply after releasing the pedal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AKA PROVY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock On!
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Ah, I must have skipped that part. Details details details...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in