How to change Front Wheel Bearing.... (with Pics) - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:46 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgallagh View Post
Thanks for your responses. I changed both front wheel bearings today. Took about three hours. First one was slow because I was being very cautious about what I was doing. Once I removed the three bolts securing the bearing hub, it slid out easily. The second one was a bit of a pain in that is seems it was quite stuck. But eventually it came loose.

Tool recomendation was very handy and all went well. Very easy job all in all. I main bolt holding everything in place is a 36MM and all others are 18MM as eeehabt stated.

I did find, however, that the right front tie rod is shot! I wonder how easy this is to replace.... Probably not as easy as the bearing!

Thanks Again!!

Hi,
You're welcome.

Is the tie the inner or the outer? If it's the outer one, its change is pretty easy, but you need do extra work after you've done it.

1- Lift the front of the truck and secure it. (right & left)
2- Align The steering wheel to the center.(how it drives forward without drifting right or left. (Important to remember the exact posture of the steering wheel)
3- Get a tape measure and note down the distances between the front wheels from the front side and the rear side. Don't panic if you find a slight difference. This is normal. Usually it's 2-3mm narrower in the front. (See picture)
4- Get someone to apply the brakes and you remove the wheel nuts of the side you're gonna work on.
5- Get two open-ended wrenches and loosen the lock nut on the tie. (Size differs according to model)
6- Remove the nut on the ball joint.
7- Use the ball joint removing tool to loosen it and free it (Preferable if available). If it's not available, get a heavy hammer and start knocking the part holding it until it is freed. (I hate using the hammer for such jobs).
8- Hold the inner tie rod with a press grip and turn the outer one loose until it's removed. (get rid of it in the nearest garbage can)
9- Fit the new one in its place and only tighten the ball joint nut.
10- Return the wheel and tighten the nuts.
11- Return the steering wheel to the exact posture you set it at before you removed the wheel. It must have moved while working)
12- turn the inner tie rod and keep measuring the distances between the front wheels until you restore the original distance. (Important to have someone help you keep the steering wheel in the correct posture when you measure it)
13- Tighten the lock nut and lower the truck down.
14- Test-drive it. If it drifts to the right, increase the distance between the front wheels at the front side. If it drifts to the left, decrease the distance. Apply the adjustment to the side you worked on. Don't interfere with the intact side.

This way you won't need to go to an alignment workshop and pay money for a job you can do with a tape measure.
A picture of the ball joint remover tool is down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Distances.JPG‎
Views:	5324
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	6175  
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM

2002 Olds Bravada
Black over Silver 4.2L I6 AWD
Why isnt this a sticky

This is a great right up should be made a sticky.
IMO

John
Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravada4u View Post
This is a great right up should be made a sticky.
IMO

John
I hope so.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
2nd Go Round on bearings

Hey, thanks for all the great info. This is my first post... and of course, the question. I had that infamous "hum" of a bearing going bad at 37,000 miles! Dealer replaced it back then, $145.oo for labor, but each bearing for GM parts was $338.oo. Now at 71,000 miles, yup that "hum" is back!
I am unhappy to say the least , it is most prevalent at 40+ mph and really hums when turning left a that speed. Do you guys know if that would be right or left? Like others have indicated and found out this sounds really easy...thus the low labor cost but the bearings are outrageous. So, after I take my TB EXT back to dealer, and let them know my displeasure if they won't replace the bearing for free(I'll pay the labor...of course). I may just do it on my own, I've done them before but on 60-70's vehicles.

Has anyone else heard of the bearings going out so quickly on the EXT versions?

THANX GUYS, glad I stumbled across this site!!
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Rag PA

Rag,

I can attest to this being easy as pie on my 2wd. Remove calipers and rotor and there it is - 3 bolts. I can't speak personally for how difficult it is to deal with the front drive shafts, though the bearing/hubs are the same, I think. They are all splined in the center for FWD shafts.

As far as the cost of the bearing, to each his own. But I bought a $63 unit from ebay with free shipping and after 3000 miles, I have no complaints. From my perspective, the Timkens that seem well recommended here are $180 on Rock Auto, so I could do the job 3 times for that price. The labor is plenty easy enough so I don't mind if it doesn't last as long. You're only averaging 35,000 miles on OEM, so how can it get much worse?

I got approx. 90,000 out of my original on the left and the right is still going. I know from my other vehicle, that with 4WD and All Terrain / Mud Terrain tires, uneven wear/shaky tires will wreak havoc on front end parts. Do you run bad riding tires just to get the mileage left on the tread? It seems something has to be at fault for so little mileage on the bearings to be failing.

If the noise goes away when you turn right, then it is your right that is bad. The right turn sends the intertia and weight to the left, so it lightens the load on the right and the noise goes away.

Direction for noise to go away= side of bad bearing

This is the exact bearing/seller I went with on ebay. I received it in less than a week. It is $63.60 "buy-it-now", so no bidding and there is no shipping charge.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Bearings

TSB,
Thanks for the info, I always have just replaced both bearings at once so when one went bad both got changed, these being more affordable not OEM I may change out both unless the dealer will "deal". I usually change out tires when the tread indicators start to wear, infact the tires on it now arebrand new 1000 miles ago. So the tires aren't the culprit. I've never off roaded this TB it's a family hauler. I wonder if the dealer charged for both bearings and did only one? I agree and others are very suprised of the failure, especially with the low miles. My only thought is the 2003 4wd EXT version may be part of the problem, but I doubt it. Well, off to the dealer, or dirty knuckles.

Thanx Again

If anyone else has experienced a low mileage failure in a EXT, I am curious
Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Silver Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Ebay

I considered changing both, but since I went the ebay route, I wasn't confident that what I was getting was better than the original that was still doing fine, so I didn't change it. Time will tell.

Honestly though, having done it once, I think I can do it again in 15 minutes, should the other side go bad or the ebay unit fail. It's almost equivalent to an oil change in difficulty. That's why IMO, it isn't worth spending the money on the high priced units. If the cheap one fails, changing it again is easy enough and I'll take the chance that 3 cheap units should outlast 1 high priced one. And further, with the way things have gone for me, it could well outlast the Trailblazer.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM

Freebie

Went to dealership, They said "No Problem" replaced with GM Parts it's
FREE yeah I'm happy. Thanks guys
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Great write up.

I think this is the issue with my wifes 2003 trailblazer 4x4. Its making a pretty loud and rough sound from the Drivers side wheel and has been getting worse, and while cruising at 50-60 and you turn the wheel to the right it becomes a louder high pitch sound. It does not make this additional sound at slow turns like at a stop sign.

So does this sound like its a front hub? My local Napa has the replacement for $155 or so.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
From your description, it seems that the left wheel bearing is the culprit. Is he selling you the original GM one for that price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in