Spare Tire Winch/carrier - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I had the same problem. It was a fairly easy fix though. The hardest part was cutting the cable to get the spare out of the way. I try to remember to let the spare down and uncoil the cable and clean it a couple times a year now. I don't like to use grease on the cable because the grease acts as a dust catcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
green 4.2L I6 4X4
The plastic housing on my winch assembly shattered, so I was searching here for advice and part numbers.

The GM number 25911640 appears to still be valid, but be aware that there is an aftermarket replacement also.

Dorman used to be a fine company, now they primarily sell Made-In-China junk. Ordinarily I'd avoid a Dorman product (or at least buy with scepticism) but since the "Genuine GM" item is also a high-failure piece of crap which is probably also made in China, I figured "why not".

Consider Dorman # 924-509. Some variation of this part number will probably get you a Dorman-sourced part at NAPA, CarQuest, O'Reileys, etc.

I just ordered mine from Amazon. Less than $100, shipped to my door.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to fit all Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier/Saab/Isuzu 2002--2009. Verify for yourself:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=924-509

"Limited lifetime warranty".
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Try www.rockauto.com, they have it for $74.79 plus shipping. Standard shipping is under $10 bucks. So for $85 bucks, that's a pretty good price, lowest I could find.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
tire hoist video

look at this video will show you how to get it down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZ2LP7nfLU
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 PM

Spare Tire Hoist Replacement

Where is the delete button.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:09 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Just took my spare off today to see if it would drop. Of course it didn't but some You-tube videos sure helped me get it down. I used a screw driver to push the little clip back in and release it from the holder. Also took my angle grinder with a wire wheel and cleaned lots of rust off the wheel and the holder. Painted with epoxy paint and packed the holder clip with lots of grease. Hopefully if I ever need to lower it again, the grease will have kept the rust out. Funny enough, the spare had full pressure after 10 years of hanging there. At least the tire is good and no weather cracks either.
What a PITA from GM!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:55 PM

You can bypass the faulting safety latch by flipping the spare tire over

This bypasses a safety feature but there seems to be many spares tires held up by a similar mechanism that didn't have a safety catch and this beats hacking it up to bypass the latch that some have done...
Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
While flipping the tire over and not engaging the PITA safety latch seems like an obvious solution, I also wonder about the chances of the cable rusting and dropping the tire while travelling down a highway or perhaps the cable spool undoing and the poor SOB following that sees a tire coming at him. My cable seemed to be in good shape, however, and probably wouldn't rust through anytime soon - at least not while I own the vehicle.
I always wondered why GM didn't just form the bottom differently and put the spare inside the vehicle and avoid the hoist and latch system and allow the spare to stay clean and rust free. My wheel looked like a teenager with bad acne. Took lots wire wheel action to clean it up.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM

I live is Calif so I fortunately don't have the rust issues 8^)

I would think you could use a hold down strap or something equivalent as a safety strap that could be cut loose if the spare was needed and the strap latch was rusted up.

From what I have seen it take to get them loose when rusted up, I can't imagine fighting the spare down on the side of the road when needed.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 PM

2009 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
The hold down strap is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in