Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How the do I remove the mirror caps?

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  CdnGMan 
#1 ·
I'm just itching to paint the faded a$$ plastic on the snailblazer and I was going to start small, possibly the door handles and mirror covers but I had a peek at the mirrors and short of tearing them right off the truck I couldn't really get them to budge. I'm a little leery of reefing on them to remove them. Are there just retainer clips holding them on there or what?

Also, with the plastic being textured do I have to sand it smooth or just rough it up to get proper adhesion? The extensive sanding might be a deal breaker...

Thanks,

Scotty

#3 ·
Thanks for the link, been looking for how toremove the back cap as well. Me is to see if I can stop the stupid wobble the drivers mirrorhas by addind may-be an extra washer under the spring.
Cheers bud

#7 ·
Just finished this up. Looks awesome and it was silly easy. It started out a little dicey when I shot the first base coat on and realized afterwards that the 360 degree spray nozzle was non existent. It came out of the can in gobs. Anyway, waited for it to dry and sanded down the runs and reshot it with the correct nozzle installed, added 2 more coats and then 5 coats of clear. Letting it cure overnight and I'll install tomorrow and post up some pics. I may have opened a can of worms buying that paint because now the rest of that $hite plastic will most likely get the same treatment.

#8 ·
Here are a couple o' snaps of the finished product. I also pulled off the bumper steps, which was a mistake...I should have just left them on and masked the surrounding area and then sprayed them. Oh well.
I still have a little work to finish up; when I pull the side moldings off and polish the truck I'm going to do the mirror caps and the tail lights to try and bring up the shine.

Attachments

#13 ·
I haven't done either yet, I tried polishing the clear on the tail lights before the recommended 48 hour curing period and I effed it all up so I had to re-do the clear coat. The mirrors haven't been on 48 hours yet, that along with my lack of enthusiasm, the crappy weather here, no garage and waiting to polish the whole truck in a buddy's garage have lead to me calling it done for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.