snow performance - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum



Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 PM
jroden jroden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 39
snow performance

I have owned dozens of vehicles and have to rate my 06 4wd extended trailblazer as the absolute worst. It came with all seasons and I figured I could maybe just use them, despite my better judgment. What I quickly found was that even the smallest slippery incline required 4wd to climb. I quickly went out and bought 4 Blizzaks and now it works fine.

I cannot imagine using a RWD model in the snow without good tires, a load of weight in the back and a tow chain on the floor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 PM
vipergg's Avatar
vipergg vipergg is offline
New Member
 
2008 Isuzu Ascender
Midnight Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
Posts: 972
I live in upstate NY and I have 2wd and have never really had an issue. I just take my time and if the snow is that deep I figure I shouldnt be out driving anyway . Dont have snow tires on .
__________________
2008 Isuzu Ascender 140000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan 90000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-03-2019, 06:06 PM
jroden jroden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
I live in upstate NY and I have 2wd and have never really had an issue. I just take my time and if the snow is that deep I figure I shouldnt be out driving anyway . Dont have snow tires on .
Interesting. Mine is the extended wheelbase, maybe it's lighter in the back. I live S. of Buffalo, so we get a lot of wet snow off the lake. Mine does fine with 4 snows, but just getting underway I sometimes need to use 4wd. It's similar to an old American sedan or full size van
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 04-14-2019, 06:15 PM
vipergg's Avatar
vipergg vipergg is offline
New Member
 
2008 Isuzu Ascender
Midnight Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroden View Post
Interesting. Mine is the extended wheelbase, maybe it's lighter in the back. I live S. of Buffalo, so we get a lot of wet snow off the lake. Mine does fine with 4 snows, but just getting underway I sometimes need to use 4wd. It's similar to an old American sedan or full size van
Yeah that's possible if you have an EXT . version . If snowey and slush yes it does takes a little to get going because the I6 puts out good torque and that will spin the tires which then kicks in traction control which kills power to the rear wheels which I do hate .
__________________
2008 Isuzu Ascender 140000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan 90000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-14-2019, 06:26 PM
jroden jroden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergg View Post
Yeah that's possible if you have an EXT . version . If snowey and slush yes it does takes a little to get going because the I6 puts out good torque and that will spin the tires which then kicks in traction control which kills power to the rear wheels which I do hate .
Only after the snow melted did I discover the switch to shut TC off. Looking forward to using it next winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM
45Frank 45Frank is offline
Junior Member
 
2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: WNC
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroden View Post
I have owned dozens of vehicles and have to rate my 06 4wd extended trailblazer as the absolute worst. It came with all seasons and I figured I could maybe just use them, despite my better judgment. What I quickly found was that even the smallest slippery incline required 4wd to climb. I quickly went out and bought 4 Blizzaks and now it works fine.

I cannot imagine using a RWD model in the snow without good tires, a load of weight in the back and a tow chain on the floor
I agree!! I can't even make it across my pasture without using 4LO. My Explorers, Jeeps and so on 2 WD was good. I have a 1987 2 wheel drive Mazda P/U that I can get out with. Same with snow just spins tires in 2
WD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 AM
jroden jroden is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Frank View Post
I agree!! I can't even make it across my pasture without using 4LO. My Explorers, Jeeps and so on 2 WD was good. I have a 1987 2 wheel drive Mazda P/U that I can get out with. Same with snow just spins tires in 2
WD.
I wonder if they had to mess with weight distribution to deal with the rollover tendencies? I suspect it's not random that they added that whole rube goldberg Stabiltrak system and bolted a big heavy spare tire down under the frame.

Mine is clearly light in the back, but with the third row seat it has a 1400 pound payload so maybe they designed it that way, like a full size van or pickup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire size/type performance question(s) PProph Tires 1 11-08-2011 01:16 PM
Rear Air suspension drop with snow? DougK Suspension 18 12-14-2010 11:28 AM
4x4 snow fun w_bailey04 Racetrack Results 19 01-21-2008 05:22 PM


» Sponsors

Advertising Info

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Chevy TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy Enthusiasts - Copyright 2004 - 2009 All Rights Reserved.
All trademarks referenced herein are property of their respective owners.
RSS Feed