uneven rear tire wear - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Tires

Tires Tires

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
uneven rear tire wear

Does this look like it's wearing uneven? I've seen a lot of threads of it happening on the front, but not on the rear...

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p...ear.jpg?psid=1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
More angles please.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 AM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How long since your tires were rotated? What pressures do you typically run? How often do you check tire pressure?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:52 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bore_pig View Post
How long since your tires were rotated? What pressures do you typically run? How often do you check tire pressure?
Good questions. It looks like the inside edge of the tread is more worn. Any chance these
were rotated off the front, or dismounted and remounted?

Are both tires looking the same? If not, how's your rear suspension (if the tires have
not been rotated)?

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 AM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo829 View Post
Are both tires looking the same?
Chris
Also a good question!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Only way you can get wear like that I know of is by having bad camber. That's very easy to happen on the front, and very difficult on the rear unless you've bent the axle tubes. I managed to bend the axle tubes on my first axle by overloading it, then bashing on rocky trails with too-soft springs.

But if these tires had previously been on the front, bad camber could have done this. More frequent inspections seem called for.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I agree with what everyone is saying ,But is it all the way around the tire, or in one spot,because it could be a bad tire too ,shifted belt.if everything else checks out.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Unless your rear axle is seriously messed up, that's not going to happen on the rear. Those had to have been rotated from the front. It looks like they've got a little bit of cupping so you're not rotating them enough and you need an alignment. You need to rotate every 5k miles and when you get your alignment checked make sure they adjust caster/camber to the middle of the spec even if it is green.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
You have a bit too much negative camber in the front and need an alignment. Postive camber leans the tire outward and negative outwards from perfectly strait up and down. Our camber range is from around .1 to -1.1 degrees, with a preferred setting of around -.50 degrees. The more negative over the preferred setting, the faster the inner tire edge wears. (Towards or over the positive limit and you wear the outers). Problem is that as the suspension settles or 'droops' from wear/spring-fatigue, the camber tends to shift light more negative. - One of the reasons that we need an alignment from time to time and should have the components checked for wear at the same time.

Our suspension geometry also means that adding a lift kit pushes the camber positive (to a point) and lowering pushes it negative. (Why adding either kit requires a front end alignment). By the way, taking turns tighter or at faster speeds also tends to wear the tires, but usually on the outer edges and not the inner.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just purchased the vehicle last week, but the previous owner did say that he replaced something in the front because the tires were wearing un-evenly. I'm guessing/hoping it was fixed and this is just what had happened before the fix. I'll have to keep an eye on it over the new few rotations, see if anything like this keeps up. Thanks for replies though, I never thought about this being rotated from the front....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in