Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Are '04 and '05 rear Envoy XL/XUV doors interchangeable?

5K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  scottbt 
#1 ·
I searched the threads and didn't see an answer to this. Did GM change the rear door shape between '04 and '05 on the Envoy XLs and XUVs? The junk yard parts interchange programs say they're different, but I've found the folks on this forum especially knowledgeable. I've got one '04 rear door with bad seam rust, so I'm looking for a replacement. That means I could find an '02 to '04 rear door that fits, except for my color was new in '04. Just trying to expand my search parameters if at all possible.

#2 ·
As my own follow-up to this issue, I was at the junk yard looking for parts for a different project and I found 2 vehicles with which I could experiment - a '03 Envoy XL and a '05 Envoy XL. I removed a rear door from each vehicle and installed the '05 door on the '03. It was a perfect fit except for the mechanism that holds the door open (2 bolts on the '02-'04 and 1 bolt on the '05-'09). However, those are removable and I confirmed that they swap onto the other door just fine. I also confirmed that the wiring harnesses are identical.

So, I have no reason to believe that the rear doors aren't fully interchangeable for all years '02-'09. If anyone has something that I perhaps overlooked, please let me know and I'll investigate.

I tried an earlier post that included pictures, but perhaps my membership level doesn't allow that, as my post has still not shown up on the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.