Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Resonator Renovation

33K views 54 replies 40 participants last post by  barn9 
#1 ·
I cut off that ugly clunky looking can last week and used the factory dump pipe until this weekend. Last evening I welded a straight pipe and tip onto the back of th TB. Sounds better and definitley looks better. It seems like it may have improved mileage a bit, anyone else have a mileage bump after getting rid of their resonator?

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
I have the 5.3 in my Rainier, I had the guys at work cut out the resonator and replace with straight pipe (with a bend to the tip) no expensive chrome tips for me. It mad so very little difference the guys thought I wasted my money having this done. I could tell it had a little better sound. A month or 2later I had them axe the stock muffler and install a cheap Flomaster knock-off 2 chamber performance muffler. It is a lot louder, sounds cool but not enough to get pulled over for. You have nothing to worry about with deleting the resonator.

#40 ·
Just did mine

So i just cut the can off of my tb ls i6 and did dual tip side rear :woot::woot:exit exhaust... I did't know about it at first but it turned out good.... but i didint notice a gas mi. increase... sounds a bit deeper but thats about all i noticed... I will get some pic tomorrow and try to post... to dark now to take any pics....

#41 ·
So i just cut the can off of my tb ls i6 and did dual tip side rear :woot::woot:exit exhaust... I did't know about it at first but it turned out good.... but i didint notice a gas mi. increase... sounds a bit deeper but thats about all i noticed... I will get some pic tomorrow and try to post... to dark now to take any pics....
Im waiting to get mine done and am interested in the dual side exit-please post pics.

#46 ·
went dual exit

i did the res delete and did a y pipe dual exit exhaust(pics in the gallery), its not a loud increase in sound, and the mpg increase is minimal, depends on ur foot, but i like its tone and it feels smoother running.

this, along with a cai kit is the mods to do.:suicide:no brainer.

#50 ·
Quick question on exhaust size:

It seems like everyone is using 2.5"OD tubing to splice into the exhaust before the resonator. Did anyone happen to take a precise measurement (ID) of the exhaust at that point, just before the resonator--is it definitley 2.5?
IIRC, the actual size is 2.75". However if you look at the pipe where it goes over the rear axle it is pretty well crimped, so using a 2.5" pipe doesn't constrict the flow and it is an easier size to find. :m2:

#51 · (Edited)
Displacement On Damand (DOD)

My thoughts were that a V8 with DOD would sound almost like a race engine with a steep cam,when it is running on 4 cylinders.When I was looking at a new camaro at my local GM dealer,I popped the question and was told that the DOD does not operate at idle,only at cruising speed.If this is true,it is to bad,because that would have been awesome.Personally I would prefer the 6 speed standard,but I would buy the auto just to get that sound with the DOD,as DOD is only available on the automatic.:excited:

This is in response to #23 McKinley , sorry if I confused anyone.

#52 ·
Jim, my dad had the silverado with that and he said he couldn't really tell that it helped. He said the only time it seemed to shut off the 4 cyls is if he was cruising basically on flat highway. He found very little use out of it.

Depending on your driving and location the 6speed very likely would give you better economy, if you can lay off the skinny pedal that is :)

#55 ·
I was at a local tire shop this morning getting new tires mounted, and the guy had a pipe bender with a piece of new tailpipe laying on the floor, which made me think of the resonator delete. Asked him about it and he said he could do it in a jiffy, so I said "let's do'er!" The pipe had a small angle at one end already, so it was 2 quick cuts, whack off that obnoxious resonator, a couple minutes welding, and the deal was done. He charged me $30, and it was well worth it to me. Just in looks alone it was worth that price! Glad that thing is gone! Very little sound difference, so I am one happy guy! :yes: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.