A how to for U & L Ball Joint Replacement (and sway bar end links) - Page 15 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Help!

Replaced my front swaybar links yesterday no problem. Went to replace the rears today with new Moog parts, got the left rear unbolted but it seems to be torqued and won't come out. I'm in a bind here as it is my daily driver. I've tried hammering and crowbar. Unfortunately don't have a grinder or I'd just shear the thing off. The swaybar seems tilted up in the front causing the torque. Thanks fellas!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg‎
Views:	195
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	20464  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 AM

2006 GMC Envoy SLE
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
lower ball joint remaval tip....

I had a rag-tag set of press tools in a bucket from a Ma & Pa parts store. I did not have the cup that is relieved for the nubs that stick out of the casting on the lower control arm. The standard cup that is the proper size would not stay centered and press evenly.

I used two pieces of 3/8" square tool stock (for making metal lathe cutting tools) as spacers between the nubs or ears on the casting and the press cup. You might be able to use 3/8" square key stock. With everything in place, I snugged it all up with a ratchet before hitting it with my impact. Pressed out perfectly.

I know this has been a problem for others even using good press sets from the rental or parts store. The ears are 180 degrees apart so if you can get a pair of flat spacers in there, it will press evenly. C.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up

A good how to this... But.. If you need a press kit Harbour Frieght Tools sold me one for under $35.00 as a discontinued line.. BONUS.. The sway bar links are held in place by NYLOC nuts, that even when turned off with an 18mm wrench and a #6 hex key jammed and shredded the hex.. an easy fix on the fronts and rear passenger side use a benzo torch to melt the nylon in the nut.. nut comes off in seconds. Sadly the gas tank side i had to chisell the link off.. : After a cup o joe.. re assembly was a breeze.. Tho', one has loosened so will use some loctite in the morrow and sort that, and then take a and relax..

Your tricked out Honda sounds intrestin.. can I buy it..??.. the wife needs a new hairdryer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:35 PM

2007 Buick Rainier
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
How many hours does it take a mechanic in a shop to replace them?

Hi,

I brought my truck in for upper and lower ball joints, water pump and thermostat.

The mechanic quoted me 4 hours. The owner charged me over 11!! and marked up the parts 60% on top of it.

He will not honour what his mechanic told me.

But before I go to BBB to complain, I want to see what would be fair.

What is a reasonable amount of hours for a shop to charge for these repairs, all done at the same time (which makes a significant cost savings)

Thanks for the input in advance.

P.S. I learned to never take their word for it, show it in writing...
Old 11-30-2014, 11:50 AM

2002 Olds Bravada
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I don't think either 4 or 11 would have been a reasonable quote - unless perhaps the mechanic was an expert, while the owner wanted to charge the book rate for each job.

Although, since you didn't mention doing the work yourself, the upper and lower ball joints themselves could easily have taken you 11 hours to do (just search the site for various problems people have had).

I've done lower ball joints on an Envoy and a Bravada; some took a day, some took all weekend (getting parts, getting loaner tools, breaking rusted nuts & bolts loose, etc, etc). Haven't done a water pump or thermostat yet though (but search the site for others' experiences).

In the future, you might want to try finding a shop that will allow you to bring the parts to them (they'll very likely charge you a higher labor rate).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Problems with mine.

I am trying to press out both top and bottom but neither budge. I bent in the tabs and sprayed pb blaster still no luck. I tried even using my gun (750ftlb) with no luck. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:26 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Make sure your press is setup perfectly perpendicular to the ball joint. Tip: Set it up perfectly and hand tighten (no tools) then use the impact wrench.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:17 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_0utsider1 View Post
I am trying to press out both top and bottom but neither budge. I bent in the tabs and sprayed pb blaster still no luck. I tried even using my gun (750ftlb) with no luck. Any suggestions?
Hopefully you were able to get it. I found that a blowtorch helps too.

Fortunately, I live in the South and our cars don't rust. I did all 4 ball joints with a press I rented from O'Reilly, a breaker bar with a 1/2" drive, and a 22mm socket.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:30 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Sandstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I was wondering if any of you could help me. I recently bought a 02 envoy the grease fitting on the upper ball joint rubbed the tire so much there's a big notch going around the tire. What would cause that?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Cranberry Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Got the lower ball joints done here's how they look

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ball joint, end links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in