Noise while turning left - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:56 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like you have done your homework....time to get the wrenches out !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcosh View Post
Sounds like you have done your homework....time to get the wrenches out !
Simple enough to lay under the truck and see how it works. I am cringing at the idea of having to remove that front differential though because I can barely even reach it. I think I'll just pay the mechanic at work to do it if switching the tires/hubs/CV shafts doesn't relocate the issue to the passenger side lol.

I might even crack open the actuator housing while I am there to take a peak just to make sure it is the differential.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Mechanic at work switched hubs and tires... noise was still present.
Mechanic removed brake caliper on drivers side... noise still present.
Mechanic removed drivers side CV shaft... noise still present.

Mechanic scratched his head, laid on the ground and noticed the tiniest mark in all of the wheel weights in the front end (since we switched tires). Removed weights, test drove and it was gone. We filed the weights down and problem solved.

Neither of us have an explanation as to why this would continously rub on the steering knuckle on a hard left turn only (you would imagine that the body would roll back at some point and stop making noise; but the geometry between the knuckle and tire shouldn't even be impacted by this).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190307_120635_1551980261084.jpg‎
Views:	24
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	37903  

Old 03-07-2019, 09:01 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Were they thicker than normal wheel weights? Checked your ball joints lately?
Edit: reread this thread and saw "ball joints good". Tested how?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBaker View Post
Were they thicker than normal wheel weights? Checked your ball joints lately?
Edit: reread this thread and saw "ball joints good". Tested how?
Upper and lower ball joints were visually inspected and checked with a pry bar when the front end was jacked up. Their is zero play in anything in the front end.
Upper driver's side was also checked when the steering knuckle was broken from the UCA.

Regardless, it isn't a ball joint issue. The steering knuckle resides between the upper and lower control arms. The hub assembly is bolted to the steering knuckle; therefore the wheel and steering knuckle would never alter distances even if the ball joints were bad (if the upper or lower ball joint had slop, the steering knuckle and wheel would move as one). Nothing can really alter that geometry between the knuckle and wheel - so in theory this should have rubbed with every rotation of the wheel regardless or turning or going straight.

Perhaps both brand new hub assemblies (since nothing changed when they were reversed) have some run out when enough force is applied against them but I would imagine that you'd feel that level of run out in the steering wheel as a vibration.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I operate stamping presses at work. One of my coworkers was having an issue with his press making a 'clink' noise at every stroke. He had maintenance over there looking at it. I happened to notice an unused manual clamp laying in the oil run-off tray that goes around the perimeter of that press. I reached down and picked it up. I told him to try cycling the press. He did, and the noise was gone.
He spent nearly an hour trying to fix that problem.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 AM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I have a 2006 Envoy with a similar problem that sounds like a rubbing on the passenger side when turning right. Because my previous was a 2004TB that had the front diff bearings go because the inner UJ gave up (or vice-versa), and before i took everything apart to look for it, I bought new hubs and drive shafts just in case. Reading the above comments, I will look at the brake shield and balance weights, but maybe, seeing as I have the parts, can't hurt to change them anyhow. Just love this vehicle
Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykelaw View Post
I have a 2006 Envoy with a similar problem that sounds like a rubbing on the passenger side when turning right. Because my previous was a 2004TB that had the front diff bearings go because the inner UJ gave up (or vice-versa), and before i took everything apart to look for it, I bought new hubs and drive shafts just in case. Reading the above comments, I will look at the brake shield and balance weights, but maybe, seeing as I have the parts, can't hurt to change them anyhow. Just love this vehicle
Check your actuator (where the passenger CV shaft meets the oil pan) for play up and down.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Yes,,,my balljoint comment was more of a stab in the dark If my TrailBlazer wasn't 1500 miles away I would go out and look first! But clearly, SOMETHING is moving/shifting and there's not a lot in the area for it to rub on.

F-bodies eh? I had an 82, a factory ordered 86, and an 87 Trans Am. They were fun
Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBaker View Post
Yes,,,my balljoint comment was more of a stab in the dark If my TrailBlazer wasn't 1500 miles away I would go out and look first! But clearly, SOMETHING is moving/shifting and there's not a lot in the area for it to rub on.

F-bodies eh? I had an 82, a factory ordered 86, and an 87 Trans Am. They were fun
Yup, big f-body fan. More of a Camaro guy from 85-97 but the 98-02 WS6 Trans Am holds a very special place in my heart. I did have a 85 GTA with a mild 350/cam/5 speed 10 years or so back though.

I think this issue is due to poor wheel bearings in the new hubs. The force of a hard turn must make the bearing "walk/wobble" but I can't feel it in the steering wheel. Either way, I am not too concerned about it until failure symptoms are present.

These are good little trucks overall. Much better quality than the old Blazers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in