$5.00 "fix" for air ride compressor.... - Page 13 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM

rainier Buick Rainier
Black 4.2L I6 AWD
mcamster-carr has the parts..

i know this is an ancient thread but: macmaster-carr has everything you need. ships fast and cheap. part numbers below descriptions.
wye 5/32
5779K42

or

tee 5/32
5779K32

if you want to get fancy ( kept my compressor in line, 2 tees and a wye):

schrader valve
8063K31

adapt schrader valve to 5/32 push fit
7880T163

5/32 line (25') 220psi
5112K62

then you can relocate the airfill anywhere you want.

you can also tee in a pressure gauge (standard 1/8 thread) with
5779K227
or on the end
with
5779K125

theses are all $5 parts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Carbon Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
I'm so glad I found this thread! I just had the compressor quit on my Envoy - and the price for a compressor is now $600-$800 for a refurbished one.

Once I got the compressor off, the fix was easy... of course it took 4 hours because the spare tire hoist froze up after lowering the tire part way down - that was the hardest part of it.

It has been over 24 hours and so far it's holding pressure, better than it was before the compressor failure (guess it wasn't a leaky spring after all).

Now I just need a new tire hoist.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Carbon Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Spoke too soon! It held air for a little over 24 hours. Now it inflates, but goes goes down after a few minutes. I'm hoping it's just a loose air line, but haven't had the chance to work on it due to the weather.

Anyone have issues with the fill valve leaking?

Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Carbon Black Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEnvoy View Post
24 hours after adding gasket maker the air pressure still at 61 psi. I'm installing the Envoy air compressor back.
Just to make sure I'll be adding a bit of gasket maker to the air compressor air hose fittings too and letting it dry/cure for a day before I turn on the SUV.

BTW: I used gasket maker also on the brass inflator valve with the 5\32 and that is how I stop the leak there.
1. pulled the hose
2. with a small pin added gasket maker
- add it just above the small black O-Ring
- add a bit around the push in fitting that you pulled out to get to the O-Ring
- add a bit around the hose - not the tip, but about the area where it will be pinned by the push in fitting.
- push in the hose - let it dry for 1 hour or 2
- put just 2 psi to push the gasket up - let it dry/cure for 24 hours - check for leaks
- after 24 hours - now you can pump up the air

Now is just a matter of time and see for how long this gasket will hold.

Another fix should be to change the small O-Ring, but I was not able to find it and don't know the exact size. The brass air inflator valve has 1 O-Ring and the air spring 2 each, the compressor uses compression brass O-Rings.

And another BTW: I clean up the check valve inside the compressor, the bottom had some build-up and I think it might not allowed the valve to sit perfectly flat so I did a bit of cleaning and then put everything back. The two screws were a pain to get out since they had red tread locker (added the same stuff)

I'll keep you posted. (If the air compressor ever fails I know I can install the tee union back )

Update: 2/14/2013 - Air is holding, Envoy was level this morning - I'll keep monitoring, I'll say the air leak is fixed.

Alright I'm back with the same problem after the 2013 FIX - WOW almost 5 years

I'll be doing the same thing all over again since the pump still works after all.

Just adding my 5 cents since I know a shop will try to break your wallet.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Carbon Black Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissEnvoy View Post
Alright I'm back with the same problem after the 2013 FIX - WOW almost 5 years

I'll be doing the same thing all over again since the pump still works after all.

Just adding my 5 cents since I know a shop will try to break your wallet.
Sorry to bump this one up, but I promised to keep post updated.

Well I'm 5 years older and don't have a garage anymore so I took the Envoy to the mechanic who quoted me for $1800 to replace the air pump and no guaranty that it will be a fix they said, they refuse to do the $5 fix even that I offered to pay $200 for the 30 mins labor.

Armed with the knowledge of the $5 fix on this forum I went to a mechanic I found near an Autozone and for $50 he did the fix in about 30 minutes.

I guest my first fix 5 years a go was some how a very good quality job or the damage was less because the new fix in about 10 or 12 hours psi went from 65 to 55 lost about 2" high from fender to tire.
I forgot to ask the mechanic to put gasket maker on the "T"

For the moment I'll be pumping air every morning to 65 psi, but I'll be making the transition to metal springs due to the lock of [I can't work on the car my self anymore] a place to do fix it my self.

So for those out there still coming across this post, my advice is to use the gasket maker and the air will hold much longer. Also check your ride high sensor my was broken, don't know if they did that at the first shop where I got quoted for $1800 or the towing. The mechanic at the Autozone found it and let me know about it(with the broken ride high sensor the pump definitely will not turn on because the sensor is extended all the time).
I'll buy the springs and will bring the Envoy to the same guy to get them installed.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Does it hold 50 psi fairly well? I figured it would make the drive a little stiffer if it were at a constant level at all times. Good luck with it though. 5 bucks sounds a whole lot better that almost 500. Good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in