Thermostat repair- how to- pics included - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thermostat repair- how to- pics included

[Note: If the pics don't show up IN this post, you can find them in the gallery: http://gallery.trailvoy.com/member.p...=19&protype=1; ]

Finally got the job done.
Time to do the job.... 4.5 hrs. Why so long?
I looked around and was trying to figure out how some on here claim they didnt have to remove the alternator. I tried to stick my hand in the areas around the wire looms and alternator- and theres no way I was going to get in there without messing with all the wires- and possibly damaging. So I chose to loosen the alternator. I soon realized that I was going to need more space to work comfortably. I have small hands- so if you have large hands- I recommend you remove the alternator. To do this I found it easier to remove the black bracket right above the alternator.
Also- I dropped 1 bolt 2 times- Each time I had a heck of a time locating the bolt. It was well hidden. This added to my repair time. (the bolt is one of the ones that holds the black metal bracket).
Also-had a major hiccup. Put in new thermo and o-ring. I put everything back toghether again. Including serpentine belt. I then opened the radiator cap- and soon after I started to hear dripping antifreeze.
Turns out that the o-ring had moved. and got pinched. I had to take it all apart again. I ended up reusing the old o-ring which was in good condition. But to make sure it didnt move around like the other one, I put 4 small dabs of gasket maker. just a small little spot to hold the ring while I maneuvered it around.
The problem was I started seeing the engine temp about 2 hash marks below the 210 mark (it would go a little lower on the highway)- when it used to be right at the halfway mark.

A few days later the SES light comes on.

The items youll need are a new thermostat- yes thats the whole piece. And a bottle of DexCool. I bought the premixed 50/50 bottle. Ready to pour.

Youll need to remove the serpentine belt. Here I used a rachet and a metal pipe I had laying around- to make it easy to move the tensioner.

Once I decided I would remove the alternator- I decided to loosen this clamp that holds that wire bundle in place- in case I need to move it out of the way. I did end up moving it slightly to get to a bolt.

Here is a side view. You can see the neg battery connection (I did end up disconnecting it once I knew for sure I was going to be moving the alternator around) You can see the socket extension I used to get to the bolts in the area.

here is another shot of the socket extension- and one of the easier to get to bolts for the alternator. Its visible in the pic, towards the bottom of the alternator I left a wrench so you can see where the 3rd bolt for the alternator is. THis bolt was the one that was the hardest to remove since theres a hose (AC I think) right next to it. Its also visible in the pics.

Here the black bracket has been removed- Its held in place by 3 bolts.
2 are at the front of the engine- very easy to remove. The 3rd one is right in the area where other alternator bolt is (previous pic where the socket extension is) Note that I also removed the screw to that metallic bracket for the black pipe/hose.

heres the alternator moved a bit forward. Now you can see the thermostat.
also note the alternator has 2 electrical connections. 1 is that clip on connector. easily removable by lifting a plastic tab. The onther is the thick + battery wire. I think its a 10mm socket I used to loosen the nut. Note the 2 shiny bolt holes- this is where the 2 bolts for the black bracket go.

In this image you can see the thermostat housing. 1 bolt is visible, the other is at the bottom. in the picture you can see the + battery wire I removed. Its right at the point where the hose clamp is on the thermostat housing. Also note on the upper right hand corner of the picture. 3 bolt holes. 2 are for the alternator and the highest one is the 3rd bolt for the black bracket.
At this point youll have to get some pliers and squeeze the clamp so that you can remove the hose. Youll have to maneuver the pliers to loosen this. (unless you have some special tool).
Once the dexcool spills into a pan (and the floor) I proceeded to reach the 2nd thermostat bolt from underneath. I crawled under and ws able to maneuver my hand to be able to loosen that bolt.

Here are the old and new side by side. Note the old one had NO gunky buildup on anything......NONE!!!! Note the O-rings. Also note the engine block opening, its super clean!!!! I can still see the design on the engine block from the styrofoam casting. No gunk whatsoever. And this is on a 110,500 mile + engine with Dexcool!!!!!

after I put it back toghether..... during the tigheneing process the o-ring moved. I put EVERYTHING back toghethe- as in I was ready to start engine and then found a leak when I removed the rediator cap. The removal of the cap- allowed fluid to flow and I started to hear fluid leaking into the pan I collected the used dexcool. Note how the new o-ring was piched in 2 locations.. Now worthless. I used the old one- It was still in good condition.
So I used a bit of gasket stuff to hold the o-ring in place. I mean very little. Just to make the o-ring stay in place.
I put everything back toghether. The clamp is a bit hard to put back in place. I recommend trying a few different arm positions to see what works best for you. Also- I placed a little oil on the outside of the hose so that the hose clamp slid over the hose. I did this after trying countless times to slide it. Make sure youre very careful putting the 3rd bolt for the black bracket. Thats the one that was dropped 2 times- It fell and was a pain in the butt to find. Im guessing it added about 30 min to the repair. Youll have to put back the + battery wire. then screw the alternator back in. Youll have to experiment/fumble around with the 3 bolts to get the bottom one in. It was the most troublesome to get in of the 3. Dont forget to reconnect the other clip on connector. Put Serpentine belt back on. Reconnect battery (I didnt want that + wire on the alternator to touch ground)
I then turned the engine on and let it run for a bit- while refilling with Dexcool.
I used up the entire bottle to refill the radiator and a bit of the overflow bottle. Im sure that as I drive it some- air pockets will be removed. Ill refill as necessary.

Heres the end result. After driving about 15 miles at 70 MPH- the needle now sits slightly above the 210 mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 AM
TrailVoy Guru

Heres the result with the Code reader. It actually showed no Codes.
Few days ago- It showed 2 P0128 codes. I guess once the temps were normal- the codes were erased.
Just to be shure- I went ahead and selected erase.

If the o-ring would not have moved- THis would have been a 2 hr job I think.
For those that dd the repair without moving the alternator... man... I have to applaud you............
so total for the repair.
$28.57 thermostat + $9.71 Dexcool= $38.28 + a few hours of your time. An occasional extra hand was helpful.

I had called dealer out of curiosity- and they said estimate was $250 to replace (parts and labor). ( I think it would have been more-dont they also charge for scanning codes and..... tax.)
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Nice job . I checked the Chilton manual, 2nd step = "remove the alternator".

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Great info and writeup. Hope this becomes an article to help others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2007 GMC Yukon SLT
Onyx Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Working on the article as we speak.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2009 Chevy 1500
Black Other 4X4
A+ write up
Old 10-14-2007, 12:44 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Good job ....That's the way I did mine. Always remove the alternator...saved 200+ dollars and now others can view this and save also. And if its not leaking now using the old O-ring. It probably won't. Your temp is running at 210-215 just slightly to the right of the 210 mark. Mine runs at 205-210 just slighty to the left. That might be a gage setup. What was to temp in S Calif yesterday? On a real hot day here in NC 95+ in summer my gage will be dead on 210. As a ad on to the removal of the bottom alternator bolt. I used a ratchet wrench. Slides on real easy and misses the A/C hose.... Anyway..... GOOD JOB...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
TrailVoy Guru

it was about 70-75 degrees here yesterday.
Today I refilled the overflow bottle. Im guessing theres still a little bit of air pockets left in the engine
Old 10-14-2007, 08:51 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
That should take care of it. It feels good to know that just plane old Joe's like us can do these things that the dealer can also do.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrios View Post
it was about 70-75 degrees here yesterday.
Today I refilled the overflow bottle. I'm guessing theres still a little bit of air pockets left in the engine
Great stuff! I fear mine is doing the same thing as mine sits well below the half way mark. I will be referencing your article when Fish gets it posted!

Let's get a Meet going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in