Headlight Low Beam Problem! - Page 5 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:50 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up 2006 Chevy Trailblazer low beam headlights

Thanks all for the post. Checked for fuses and for power. Found that the relay was bad. Made the job of tracking down the problem easy and saved $$$. A $35 relay at Advance Auto fixed the issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
same problem !! solved

i love this web site , i have been going crazy trying to figure out why i have no lights and it was the relay you fellas mention!! thanx for info !!! GMCRICH!!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 5.3L V8 2WD
This actually worked for me. Could not figure what was going on until i did a search and found this thread. Thanks guys...

Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
A big thank you

I haven't logged on in a while but when something goes wrong, what better to consult. Thanks to all involved in running this site.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Polo Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Ok, replaced relay, now my driver's side low beam goes on and off intermittently. Fuses are good, socket and wires appear to be fine. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by myenvoy03 View Post
Ok, replaced relay, now my driver's side low beam goes on and off intermittently. Fuses are good, socket and wires appear to be fine. Any ideas?
Three possibilities,
Connectors (at bulb & at headlight assy.)
Bulb
Wiring back to fuse box (check the ground too)

Sounds like you need to look closely.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:34 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Polo Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
????

I'm not sure what happened but, I took the BCM under the rear seat and moved it around (it seemed loose) and the left headlight came on. Now, it seems to go on and off at the appropriate time. I guess there was a loose connection or something! Thanks for the imput!!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
New to this forum, but been a member on gmfs.com for a long time. My wife's 08' envoy is have no idea about. I know that these typeof forms are extremely helpful when used properly. I found this thread while doing a search, and tried everything that was recommended. Bulbs are still good, fuses 3and 6 were a little dirty but not blown, and I honestly don't know how to tell if the HDM is bad. When I pulled it out it looks fine, everything is clean in the fuse box. Funny thing is that the HDM relay is the only thing under there like that, there is nothing similar to try and switch it with like mentioned on page 1. Everything inside and out with regards to light works works just fine. Bought it used in July of this year, not from dealership. Wife works 12 hour shifts and I don't want her driving home without no low beams. If I can't figure this out by tomorrow she'll drive my truck to work till I figure this out.
Thanks everyone...

Oh yeah, the fuse diagram in the owners manual looks slightly off when it comes to somethings...
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you can, post a picture of your under hood fuse box, if it looks different than the
OM diagram. There have been some rare instances of a fuse block swapped in from
another model. Might as well get a shot of the under seat fuse block as well.

You should be able to see relays 45 and 46 in the under hood fuse box. Those are the ones
to swap. If they're not there, a picture might help us figure out what's where, and still
locate the possible culprit.

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Indigo Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezskanken View Post
New to this forum, but been a member on gmfs.com for a long time. My wife's 08' envoy is have no idea about. I know that these typeof forms are extremely helpful when used properly. I found this thread while doing a search, and tried everything that was recommended. Bulbs are still good, fuses 3and 6 were a little dirty but not blown, and I honestly don't know how to tell if the HDM is bad. When I pulled it out it looks fine, everything is clean in the fuse box. Funny thing is that the HDM relay is the only thing under there like that, there is nothing similar to try and switch it with like mentioned on page 1. Everything inside and out with regards to light works works just fine. Bought it used in July of this year, not from dealership. Wife works 12 hour shifts and I don't want her driving home without no low beams. If I can't figure this out by tomorrow she'll drive my truck to work till I figure this out.
Thanks everyone...

Oh yeah, the fuse diagram in the owners manual looks slightly off when it comes to somethings...
In the early TralVoys there was an identical Relay as the HDM used for the Electro-viscous Cooling Fan Clutch and switching them was an easy and definitive test. In later years the EV Clutch was replaced with a Thermal- viscous Clutch (no electrical, no relay).

That relay is one of a kind because it is Solid State, no coil, no mechanical contacts. It is pulsed at approx 70% for the DRL function, and 100% for standard Headlamp Operation.

And the Fuse box looks different on yours because of the Fan Clutch and other changes that were made in later years.

IMO,
Your best solution if you are:
1) Sure the bulbs are good,
2) You lost DRL and Std Low Beam Headlamps
3) Not good with a meter
Is to buy a new relay and try it. If it is not the relay then you will have the replacement for the eventual failure. And the spare will be handy to replace on the road if needed.

Otherwise, grab a meter and schematic and track it down.
Advertisement

Tags
headlights, low beams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in