Quad Tail Lights? How-To Inside - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior repairs/modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM

2006 SS Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffspringLTZ View Post
Yea i want to see some pictures of these bad boys in action too.

Here are some pics of a circuit board i took apart (from my 02TB)

The board went bad, had to replace it. Then used a flat head screw driver to pry it open. Real simple.

Here are some pics of my board

I'll need to do some checking to see which prong is the tail light. There is a little more to it than I remembered yesterday. You will need to use a soldering iron to remove the middle light socket and then you have to cut off some of the curcuit board parts off of a spare set and use them to make the center light socket live. I robbed the parts out of one curcuit board to make up a good set.

I'm not good at explaining what I mean. I'll just need to order a set of curcuit boards and do another set for someone here. I'll take pics and do a write up also.

I'll give it a try and see if I can explain it to where you might understand. In pic #1 you can see the bottom left corner has the prong coming out of it. You will need to modify the middle light socket in pic #2 to look like that one and then run a jumper wire from that part of the curcuit to the new one to tie them together. I can't remember, but it seems as though I had to run another jumper wire on the ground side also.

<"(((><

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Arrow Somewhat Detailed HOW-TO

[B][/B]Well took me awhile to get back to this post, but it's [B][I]sharing time[/I][/B]!

First you will need ONE [B]spare[/B] Tail light Curcuit board (GM#[B]16532713[/B]). I got mine from Ebay for $17, but a salvage yard may be a cheaper option?

HOW TO:

Use this is the opportunity to practice on the [B]spare[/B] curcuit board as we also need to repeat some of these steps on the [B]stock[/B] curcuit board.

Simply pry open the [B]spare[/B] curcuit board using a thin flat screw driver to reveal the guts.

Now that you're familar, open both of your [B]stock[/B] curcuit boards.

On the [B]spare[/B] board, again practive removing the Brake & Turn sockets (Top/Center) by drilling the melted plastic rivit points and prying the sockets up off the electrical contacts. Some down pressure on the electrical traces was needed to prevent unwanted bending of the traces.

Repeat on the [B]stock[/B] boards, but ONLY remove the TAIL (center) socket.

Now we'll need to ADD the missing contacts to one of the TURN sockets to match those of the BRAKE socket removed from the TOP.
We will be able to use the [B]spare[/B] BRAKE socket so we only have to [I]make[/I] one.

We will make another BRAKE socket by adding the contacts of the [B]spare[/B] TAIL to the [B]stock[/B] TAIL socket.

Remove the metal contacts from the [B]spare[/B] TAIL socket.

Now we get a bit artistic. Take a pair of needle nosed plyers and [B]reverse[/B] the bends of the metal contacts from the [B]spare[/B] socket.

Next we need to add a jumer for the ground contacts.
Remove one of the contacts from the [B]stock[/B] socket and add a "U" shaped stripped wire into the contact holes.

Add a power lead wire (~4 inches) to the other contact and insert the new contacts. Pinch them back into the socket using the needle nose plyers.
Solder the connections.
Insert bulb and visually verify your new contacts make good contact with the bulb.

Now just build the other new socket using the same steps from the [B]spare [/B]BRAKE socket. (No fancy bending required)

Install the new sockets back on the [B]stock[/B] curcuit board. The trace contacts will be VERY tight now because of the added wire on the ground contacts. I used the empty [B]spare[/B] socket placed upside down on the [B]stock[/B] socket and tapped lightly with a hammer until the new socket was firmly replaced over the plastic studs.

Strip the new tail power wire and solder to the [B]stock[/B] curcuit board. Note that the board has very little clearance right here so strip plenty to reduce the wire diameter in the tight spot.

Quick Test: Plug the modified board into your truck's harness and witness your creation. [B][I]IT'S ALIVE [/I][/B](hopefully)

Then just put it all back together.

I used a plastic weld product. After mixing, I placed a generous bead on the studs we drilled out eariler to secure the socket. Then applied a bead of plastic weld along the entire OEM sealed edge and replaced the cover.

Cure time is 90 minutes so no need to rush.

Don't forget to replace the rubber gaskets around the bulbs. Then tighten the modified board back onto the tail lens. This creates uniform pressure on the three sockets while your new weld cures and should make a water tight seal along the edge of your new weld.

Here's the look when complete.

Took me about 4 hrs, but most of that was
So, with some of the surprises removed, you can probably accomplish this mod in a hour or so.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Dude you're my hero, I love the Quad Taillights on the new fullsize trucks. Ill probably be doing this come summer when I can be without my truck for a night while I rip everything apart! Props for the great how-to!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
silverstone 4.2L I6 2WD
Awesome write up!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:30 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
I love the Quad Taillights on the new fullsize trucks.
Then you might want to consider using the trailer harness to drive your tail lights.

The 4 pin socket provides Left Bright, Right Bright, Dim and Ground. Using this power to drive your lights you would also have QUAD BRAKES and DUAL TURNS more like the Silverado.

Glad to help!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Sweet write up!! seems simple and cheap enough for an awesome upgrade. The mod bug strikes me yet again..
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM

2006 SS Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinLS2 View Post
Then you might want to consider using the trailer harness to drive your tail lights.

The 4 pin socket provides Left Bright, Right Bright, Dim and Ground. Using this power to drive your lights you would also have QUAD BRAKES and DUAL TURNS more like the Silverado.

Glad to help!
I'm sorry that I never got around to doing a write up, but yours is better than I could have done anyway. I tried the trailer light converter, but couldn't ever get it to work right. The trun signals had rapid flash, no matter what I tried!

<"(((><

Scott
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Using Envoy boards

I went to the bone yard and found envoy boards...Didn't even realize they were different...But then i got home and found that they were. Took them apart anyway to figure how to make it work... I think using the envoy boards makes it easier because they run two Dual filament bulbs as well but they have 2 dual filament sockets...Just my
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
hey just wanted to thanks for the write up i did this mod today and it looks awesome jusr a lil more uniqueness from the others on the road lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM

2002 and 2003 Chevy LTZ & LT EXT
Pewter & Forest Green 4.2L I6 4X4
So if I understand correctly, quad lights for parking and braking? Just the middle flashes when turning/signaling? What happens when braking and signaling/turning at the same time? Great writeup BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in