Swapping 4.2L for SS Motor! - Page 4 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Northeast Chapter

2004 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel
Gray Other 4X4
Something that you might consider is using a 6.0 out of a 2500 truck, vice the SS. You can do some very light work to that motor to get ridiculous power output, like the SS and then the computer would talk to the engine easily, even with 4WD. Also, I did some research, the 2500 pick ups don't use hubs, like a Ford. It uses a gas operated piston in the front diff. When you pull the selector to 4WD, a 12V signal is sent to the front diff. That signal heats up the gas in the piston, which then expands, like gases that are heated do, and the piston extends, locking the front diff. Instead of using an electronic signal to lock individual hubs. Sounds like this might need a Solid front axle.

One thing I am considering trying to do someday (when mine is paid off, which is a few years away) is taking the TB body off and putting on a K5 Blazer frame, or short box Silverado frame just for fun. Something different.
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Subscribed!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I've gonna side with the majority of people here. I've destroyed a tranny and rear end(separate occasions) on my 4.2L with only basic mods. The tranny isn't that great to begin with in strength or in performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM

2004 Chevy 2007 TB SS
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Manual transfer case

Hey guys after talking to a few of the guys on the website we decided that I should bypass all the electronics and just go with a manual transfer case. We decided the 2500 will work but i'm trying to find one!!! I've called dozens of junk yards but no luck. I'm going to cut a hole in my floor and have the lever come through the floor board.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:56 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Subscribed
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Northeast Chapter

Gray Other 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot u 3 View Post
Hey guys after talking to a few of the guys on the website we decided that I should bypass all the electronics and just go with a manual transfer case. We decided the 2500 will work but i'm trying to find one!!! I've called dozens of junk yards but no luck. I'm going to cut a hole in my floor and have the lever come through the floor board.
The lever through the floor should be relatively easy. Just make sure you have everything positioned properly before you start cutting the floor. Just a thought. Are you using an SS 6.0 or a 2500 Silverado 6.0?? Just not sure about the computers and trannies, and transfer cases working together.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzlenator View Post
The lever through the floor should be relatively easy. Just make sure you have everything positioned properly before you start cutting the floor. Just a thought. Are you using an SS 6.0 or a 2500 Silverado 6.0?? Just not sure about the computers and trannies, and transfer cases working together.
Just FYI, didnt see your last post but the 6.0L out of the trucks uses a different PCM than we do. Still going to have electrical issues. The PCM used in the 02-05 I6s is UNIQUE, as in NO other GM car/truck/SUV has or will ever use it again. The 06-07 P12 is shared with the Colorado/Canyon/GMT355 trucks and Cobalt SS S/C /Saturn Ion Red Line. 08-09 E67/T42s are shared with a LOT of GM cars/trucks/etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
what's the deal with the pcm's? do they interact with the bcm? if not, i don't see why you couldn't swap a 6.0 pcm/harness out of a 2500 onto a SS drivetrain and reprogram the 2500 pcm's tables...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Northeast Chapter

Gray Other 4X4
Yea, I thought they were different Erik. Wasn't sure what the difference was, but figured there were difference, being that the HP and TQ numbers differ so much with the different vehicles. Like I said, not sure about the computers, and how they'll interact with the different components. Thanks for the info Erik!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 PM

White N' Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thumbs up

will make an amazing sleeper.

gonna lower,or even lift it perhaps??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in