Shift/throttle response post Vector Tune - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:17 AM

Shift/throttle response post Vector Tune

Fellow SuperSporters... Let me preface my post with how pleased I am with my Vector Tune. I have said it all over this forum and this little hiccup won't change my thought on the value of this mod. I have, however, discovered one little, um, inconvenience, if you will. I expect that Chris will respond but I want a lot of feedback from my fellow Vector Tuners which is why I posted here and not the Vector section.

Say I'm cruising along steady at 40 mph, 20% throttle. If I crack it wide open, there is a noticeable delay, borderline confusion in how my SS responds, specifically what gear choice it wants to make. Don't get me wrong, once it figures it out that I want to go fast, it does not disappoint, but this lag is kind of a bummer. If I am in the throttle from the line or under slight acceleration to full throttle, it doesn't do it. It only seems to be from a steady speed to WFO.

I promise I am not being critical, it is noticeable. The first time my wife experienced it, she thought something was wrong the truck. Anyone out there experience this? I looked around the forum last weekend and I have a K&N so I thought maybe cleaning the MAF was my answer, but it doesn't seem to have solved the issue.

Thanks to all.

P.S. I have seen from time to time some Vector rants, and I don't want this to be misconstrued or turn into a Vector rant. There is nothing I like more than pulling up next to a Mustang, Camaro, Ricer, Lightning etc. in the gotta-merge lane and politely saying "Spank you very much."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 AM

I will try to duplicate with my truck. I will data stream to see exactly what is happening.
A couple things come to mind,
1. The 1st gear downshift cut-off is oddly enough 40-42MPH, so you may be right in your theory that the truck is confused. This would also happen in a stock truck (just at a lower MPH)
2. The electronic throttle controller is a little slow at times which adds to a feeling of hesitation.
There may not be a fix for this problem. I will duplicate the problem with my truck returned to stock also.
I will post the results.
Kirk
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
No longer with us

im gona go try it aswell.Mine likes to "seesaw" when it shifts but i have the CAI tune and no CAI yet

well i just went and tested this and my rpm goes up to 6 rpm before it decides to get moving.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
I know quite a few trucks did that stock, I've seen a few local guys do that and some other wierd stuff stock.

On those trucks our tune fixed the issue but of course we'll look into it

BTW for issues like this its just best to PM/Email/Call us first, we have some pretty good troubleshooting ideas to start with first as well as user data/reports.

So far 100% of cases involving wierd transmission behavior were fixed cleaning the MAF a few times. It seems K&N really went heavy on some of these things, we've had trucks that were fine for 1-2 miles after cleaning and then needed to be cleaned again lol!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM

2006 Buick TrailBlazer SS
colour 4.2L I6 4X4
Now that I've been driving mine for about 1000km, while I still love every second, I do have one issue which is really starting to bother me in a big way. Firstly, My TBSS is still completely stock. Secondly, at 1000km it's barely broken in. Thirdly, I usually have traction and stabilitrack off. My problem like others is rapid throttle position response. If you bury the loud pedal to pass someone I end up with the rpm's shooting up with no change in forward speed for an appreciable time (almost got rear ended yesterday) . If you do the same maneuver while rolling on the throttle the truck will scare most passengers

So what's with that? Is it possible that there's something in the tranny code that stops it from dropping to a lower gear if the throttle position changes too quickly. This only happens while moving and doesn't seem to be an issue from a stopped position.

Chris... any ideas?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:56 PM

A tune and an aftermarket torque converter will change that. Tune has made a huge difference on my SS. Missing out if you dont have it... Rpms wont dip as much between gears with a torque converter. Will keep the rpms more in the sweet spot so you can get her moving quickly... Good choice on color also
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM

2006 Buick TrailBlazer SS
colour 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tBSSOldblue
A tune and an aftermarket torque converter will change that. Tune has made a huge difference on my SS. Missing out if you dont have it... Rpms wont dip as much between gears with a torque converter. Will keep the rpms more in the sweet spot so you can get her moving quickly... Good choice on color also
But... it seems that some are having the same problem even with a tune
In the very near future I'm planning to do the tune, CAI (when Chris has them available), and a converter (3200-3600rpm... not sure how high I want to go). But this rather bizarre behavior is worrying me a little

[SIZE=4][COLOR=blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] definitely rocks...
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I don't think this is a problem with the tranny or stock tune or VCM tune.

Here is what is happening.

You are in say, 3rd or 4th at about 1700 - 2100 RPM @ 38-41 MPH.

You floor it and the transmission grabs 3 - 2 - 1 or 2 - 1 or for sake of argument, goes directly to 1st. The engine needs to spin up to about, oh 5700 - 5900 RPM from 1700 RPM.

This takes time and is what you are feeling. I'm guessing the flywheel and the like on this engine aren't exactly vette light and this is what everyone is feeling. When the engine hits the speed of the transmission so to speak, you feel the acceleration.

That's my take on it.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM

you're pretty good in getting the truck to behave in a way that 8 out of 10 of us could never do...right in that "no man's land" and you say your wife got it to happen as well?? any vehicle will do that given you are right at the "max" rpm for a lower gear...I've done it in my work car numerous times at 35mph & 75mph, granted I am pounding on my work car probably 10-15x a night, so the odds are increased that I will have that situation a couple of times..now that you know where the threshold is for the 2 to 1st downshift try easy the pedal down taking about a full second to lower the hammer, bet you don't have anymore issues..
Old 03-31-2006, 11:28 PM

My truck does the same thing , if I punch it at 40 it just revs , then starts to pull , does the same thing around 60mph , I have the Vector tune . I also heard some detonation today with the warmer temps here in the Northeast , and I don't think it's the gas I'm using , I've been using Shell 93 from the same station for the last two months .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in