Detonation with tune? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Engine tuning and/or modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:46 PM

Detonation with tune?

Nice warm spring day in the Northeast today (74-degrees) , I was cruising around with the A/C on all day , did a lot of driving today , punched it a few times , at different speeds , heard a noticable ping/knock for a short period , then I guess the knock sensors kicked in , as the pinging went away as I kept my foot in the throttle . I've been using Shell 93 from the same station for the last two months so I don't think it's the gas . I have to do some towing over the summer so I hope this is an isolated incident .

I'll be doing quite a bit of driving tomorrow and will burn up the rest of my fuel , I'll try a different brand and see if it still detonates .

Mods to truck are Vector tune and a K/N filter .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH SS
Nice warm spring day in the Northeast today (74-degrees) , I was cruising around with the A/C on all day , did a lot of driving today , punched it a few times , at different speeds , heard a noticable ping/knock for a short period , then I guess the knock sensors kicked in , as the pinging went away as I kept my foot in the throttle . I've been using Shell 93 from the same station for the last two months so I don't think it's the gas . I have to do some towing over the summer so I hope this is an isolated incident .

I'll be doing quite a bit of driving tomorrow and will burn up the rest of my fuel , I'll try a different brand and see if it still detonates .

Mods to truck are Vector tune and a K/N filter .
I am starting to think no matter what all of these trucks will ping every now and then with any aggressive tune..

Chris, did you do beta testing in the warmer climates?? or does it not matter as long as you can see the data and factor in warmer intake air?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGXP
Chris, did you do beta testing in the warmer climates?? or does it not matter as long as you can see the data and factor in warmer intake air?
Yup sure did, Cali, Florida and AZ. I've talked to a few of the guys this morning running in hotter climates and none of them reported any Pinging (had to double check). See if it goes away with a fresh tank from another supplier, if not we'll work it out; whatever it takes! Stuff like this is best PM'ed to us first so that I see it, I get the email notifications on my phone and can help you much quicker that way.

Also I never did ask, you got the crank learn done right? That does have a bearing on timing

Old 04-01-2006, 02:08 PM

any idea about the blend%'s in the gas on the eastcoast (and more to the point, NY,NJ,PA), maybe that has a bearing on the pinging, some suppliers use different blends, and also the only way to "pretty sure" you get fresh 93, is to buy from a reputable station, that you know is busy (on a major hwy) and you see a tanker, with the company name dropping fuel, and even then your chancing it..
Old 04-01-2006, 06:08 PM

In the northeast you will see alot of blends using ethanol to increase the octane rating to 93 (Sunoco ultra), but I dont think that would negatively effect the fuel and cause detonation. I would not worry about the detonation as long as the folks at Vector have dialed in enough timing retard for the computer to compensate for it.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:38 AM

Also, forgot to mention have you cleaned you MAF lately? A dirty MAF will cause detonation. I don't use K&N for that reason. I'd rather sacrifice 2 - 5 hp then keep cleaning my MAF all the time. I just swap out my paper filter each oil change.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGXP
any idea about the blend%'s in the gas on the eastcoast (and more to the point, NY,NJ,PA), maybe that has a bearing on the pinging, some suppliers use different blends, and also the only way to "pretty sure" you get fresh 93, is to buy from a reputable station, that you know is busy (on a major hwy) and you see a tanker, with the company name dropping fuel, and even then your chancing it..
I would never fill up as soon as the station is taking fuel. All of the crap in the bottom of the tanks gets stirred around and could end up in your tank. I waited for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago for that same reason. Just my
Old 04-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast
I would never fill up as soon as the station is taking fuel. All of the crap in the bottom of the tanks gets stirred around and could end up in your tank. I waited for about 30 minutes a few weeks ago for that same reason. Just my
I didn't mean when it was filling up, I meant that you've seen the "Sunoco" truck at the Sunoco station recently, and as for all the stuff kicking up, that was back in the day, like "change your oil every 3 mos or 3k mi"..my friend has a company that retrofits gas stations (exxon, mobil, sunoco, etc.) I asked him why they haven't done something about that, like 10 yrs ago, and he said they had, about 15 yrs ago, and laughed at me, so it's been OK for more than 25yrs, if I remember correctly there is some kind of valve in the filler neck to the tanks, that eases the turbulance, plus the filters they use nowadays are not going to allow anything to pass through that would create any problems, and then there is the filter in your car..

and about the oil change frquency I read an article in either reader's digest or some other magazine probably 10 or 12 yrs ago that used a couple of brands of oil (like a cheap, Pepboys & Castrol? I think) & Mobil 1 in 10 NYC taxis, they were Caprices with 5.0's and they changed the oils at different intervals, they were 3k, 7.5k, 12k and Mobil1 at 15k and I was amazed to read that at 100k they tore the engines down and found minimal wear, the same wear in the conventional oils even changed at 12k, and Mobil1 changed at 15k had even less wear (as you would figure) than the conventionals at 7.5k, they made mention that the filters would be considered the weak link & there filtration was questionable above 9k? I believe, but still with all that the bearings and every internal part that was inspected was in great shape..And even after reading and believing that article I still change my oil early for no reason ....
Old 04-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix
Yup sure did, Cali, Florida and AZ. I've talked to a few of the guys this morning running in hotter climates and none of them reported any Pinging (had to double check). See if it goes away with a fresh tank from another supplier, if not we'll work it out; whatever it takes! Stuff like this is best PM'ed to us first so that I see it, I get the email notifications on my phone and can help you much quicker that way.

Also I never did ask, you got the crank learn done right? That does have a bearing on timing
Truck still detonating at certain rpms with different gas , ( Sunoco-93 ) bought from rest area on NJ Turnpike . I'm running my original ecm ( no relearn needed ) . Chris , As I've told you in the past , I hate communicating through pm/e-mails , that's why I gave you my # a few times , I will try to call Kirk tomorrrow , the last few times I tried him I got voice mail . This whole mail order /pm/e-mail deal is not what I'm used to , I like to talk to a person ( face to face ) or at least talk to a person on the phone .
Old 04-02-2006, 11:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Sorry man! I get about 250 PM's/emails a day and typically respond within 5-10 minutes so thats the best way to get ahold of us. It takes the same effort as posting and sends a message to my phone when they come in for quick response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in