Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Changing out the Front Struts

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  the roadie 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Envoy XL. I was told that the struts were leaking and decided to change them out myself. I am pretty mechanical and have changed out a number of different struts, even bought spring compressors.

What is the trick to getting these front struts out? I cannot figure this out. Even tried to follow the "Haynes" manual to remove the yoke where the strut fits into. I cannot seem to get these removed. Is this a long complicated process? Any information would be helpful, as I am contemplating taking it into the "Goodyear"!!!!

#2 ·
mapesce said:
I have a 2004 Envoy XL. I was told that the struts were leaking and decided to change them out myself. I am pretty mechanical and have changed out a number of different struts, even bought spring compressors.

What is the trick to getting these front struts out? I cannot figure this out. Even tried to follow the "Haynes" manual to remove the yoke where the strut fits into. I cannot seem to get these removed. Is this a long complicated process? Any information would be helpful, as I am contemplating taking it into the "Goodyear"!!!!
Hopefully someone will jump in here with the answer soon. I had the struts out by a shop during the process to lower the front on both my '03 and '05 Envoys. I think there were something like two screws on top and a bolt on the bottom :undecided, but it only took them a little over an hour to R&R both sides both times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.