Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Redline Tuning gas struts vs. Fiberglass hood

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Briandog1 
#1 ·
I purchased the Redline Tuning Elite gas struts for my present (original) steel hood. I'm considering changing out the hood for the SS type 'glass one. I want to keep the gas struts but was told cracking of the 'glass hood might occur when trying to close it with the struts installed.

Has anyone heard of this, or better yet, have these struts instaled on their fibergalss hood with any issues?

Thanks

#3 ·
Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun buying the struts fisrt. But you make a good point about contacting Redline about this.

I'd still like to see some pictures with a 'glass hood if anyone has one with struts. I've seen plenty of pictures with the SS hood alone.

Brian

#5 ·
Response from Redline Tuning

Here's what they have to say about changing hoods -

"The kit will work out fine, but I would use a different set of rivets
for the hood brackets. The gas springs will be fine.

The only thing to look out for is that the aftermarket hood has the
same hood frame where we mount the bracket as the stock unit. Be sure
to check the installation manual and verify everything looks the same.

Thanks,
Brian
Redline Tuning"

#6 ·
Well with that said, getter done!!! You'll be so happy afterward with the install, you'll wanna open/close/open/close your hood all day :crazy: :yes:! Also you may want to paint to match the struts and connectors to your paint. Like others here, I did this and it makes it look like an oem install. Good luck with install and post pics when you're done.

Tim

#7 ·
Blu,

I checked out your photo gallery and your struts look, well.... factory!! Great Job!! Gotta love those slotted and drilled rotors, too. Nice. :thumbsup:

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.