Front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Quality - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Cranberry Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Front Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Quality

I just replaced one of my hub assemblies yesterday and it made it 76,000 miles since it was last replaced.I done both sides about 5,000 miles apart, so the other side is probably close behind, but I'll wait until it goes out before replacing it so I can get an accurate timeline for its failure rate too.The brand I used
was SKF #BR930470,so I stayed with this brand again.75-80k miles is pretty good in my
opinion when reading threads others have posted about bearing quality on a Trailblazer. Anytime Ive had a bearing issue,the normal diagnosis of spinning the wheel with the tire off the ground & listening for a roaring/ grinding noise and/or play in the wheel,when rocking it back and forth with your hands in the 12 & 6 o'clock position,never occurred.The only way I could diagnose it was by driving it on a road with sharp curves and listening for the roaring noise to stop once going around a right or left curve.If a right hand curve stopped the noise,the passenger side bearing was bad because the weight of the vehicle was shifted to the driver side which took the load off of the passenger side bearing and vicaverse for a left hand curve,although I have read of two instances where the thread poster had opposite results (i.e.- the noise stopped when going around a right hand curve,but it was the driver side bearing which was bad,so Im not sure what to make of that) I did notice however that with the bad bearing in place the wheel would barely make 1 complete revolution when spinning it by hand,while the wheel made 4-5 revolutions with the new bearing in place.
I posted some pics below for anyone wanting to see what the SKF hub looks like.
BTW- the hub is available at Summit Racing for $107.99 shipped and RockAuto has it for $103.79 + shipping + tax,so its cheaper at Summit once you add in the free shipping they offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1101181437b.jpg‎
Views:	34
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	37617   Click image for larger version

Name:	1101181438.jpg‎
Views:	39
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	37619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1101181438a.jpg‎
Views:	35
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	37621   Click image for larger version

Name:	1101181439.jpg‎
Views:	36
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	37623  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 AM

2007 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
roaring bearing

I'm going to have to replace both wheel hubs on my 07 Envoy. Definitely roaring sound when i go around turns. 130,00 miles on the Envoy. My 01 Blazer wheel hubs lasted about 200,000 miles.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I bought 2 hubs from Auto Zone ($107) about 2 years ago, that's all they lasted (about 20,000 miles). Went back and bought Moogs, hope they last longer.
And boy did they make noise when they went. Couldn't believe it.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Just had a set of Detroit Axle hubs installed, they have a lifetime warranty (we'll see!). Got them for just under $70 with free shipping on Ebay.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM

2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Liquid Silver Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
I used timken both sides about 20K ago still going strong no problems I did go through Moog upper ball joints both were shot after 15K put in mevotech no problems after 30K. GM says service life for oem hubs are 100K mine went around 98K.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:15 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy2004 View Post
Just had a set of Detroit Axle hubs installed, they have a lifetime warranty (we'll see!). Got them for just under $70 with free shipping on Ebay.

Think I'm gonna order these today!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel red 5 View Post
I used timken both sides about 20K ago still going strong no problems I did go through Moog upper ball joints both were shot after 15K put in mevotech no problems after 30K. GM says service life for oem hubs are 100K mine went around 98K.
How have your Mevotech ball joints held up? I need to do the front wheel bearing hub assembly and ball joints, currently have Moog upper ball joints and they have failed. I can not make my mind up on the wheel bearing, thinking of going ACDelco, and the Mevotech "terrain tough" ball joints.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM

2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Liquid Silver Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
I used timken wheel bearings and mevotech lower ball joints everything is fine 25K on them, my upper ball joints are Moog they failed after 8k on my second set now and there no good. Im going to replaced them soon with the OEM GM ones from GMC they are only 78.00 a piece worth it cause they lasted 88K.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel red 5 View Post
I used timken wheel bearings and mevotech lower ball joints everything is fine 25K on them, my upper ball joints are Moog they failed after 8k on my second set now and there no good. Im going to replaced them soon with the OEM GM ones from GMC they are only 78.00 a piece worth it cause they lasted 88K.
My philosophy has always been: If the part is a PIA to replace, go with genuine OEM unless there is a compelling reason not to. A case in point is the oil pump on a Ford 5.4L 3 valve engine. The stock pump just isn't up to the job of delivering the pressure and volume the cam phasers and tensioners need. Go with a Melling high volume pump.
If the stock part gave good service, go with it. For parts that are more easily replaced, like shocks and struts, a good name brand aftermarket unit is OK.
If the part is safety critical, go with OEM unless there is a compelling reason not to.
Just my 2c, take it or leave it, your mileage may vary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in