New 265/50/20 Tires On My SS - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Tires

Tires Tires on your TrailBlazer SS

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:58 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
New 265/50/20 Tires On My SS

I went with a set of 265/50/20 Nitto NT850+ CUV's. They are supposed to reduce rolling resistance, and give better fuel economy. So far after about 1000 miles and some good highway trips, they have performed excellently. Very quiet, and a much improved ride over the 255/50/20 Nexen Rodians that were on it when I bought it. Got 4 of them on TireBuyer.Com for $661 with mounting and balancing. They are about a half inch taller than the stock 255's, and have thrown my speedo and computer off a bit. But it does seem that I am getting about 12% better fuel economy with these tires. The SS just feels like it is rolling easier down the road. Handled great a highway speeds in the rain. Will see how they are on snow very soon.

Can the speedo and computer be recalibrated for the slightly bigger tires? Thanks for any help on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The computer can be programmed with the new tire information. A dealer should be able to do it, or you could send it to PCMforless.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SS3 View Post
I went with a set of 265/50/20 Nitto NT850+ CUV's. They are supposed to reduce rolling resistance, and give better fuel economy. So far after about 1000 miles and some good highway trips, they have performed excellently. Very quiet, and a much improved ride over the 255/50/20 Nexen Rodians that were on it when I bought it. Got 4 of them on TireBuyer.Com for $661 with mounting and balancing. They are about a half inch taller than the stock 255's, and have thrown my speedo and computer off a bit. But it does seem that I am getting about 12% better fuel economy with these tires. The SS just feels like it is rolling easier down the road. Handled great a highway speeds in the rain. Will see how they are on snow very soon.

Can the speedo and computer be recalibrated for the slightly bigger tires? Thanks for any help on this!
Not to be a jerk, but how did you figure you get about 12% better fuel economy if you know your speedo is now off?

I never trust the DIC, and always calculate fuel by mileage divided by gallons, but even then - if I knew my speedo was changed by tire size...that would sort of make apples to apples comparisons tough, right?

2006 TBSS LS 2WD Silverstone Metallic, VMT, RPM Level V, PTC Converter

Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Looks like you went from a 30 inch tire to a 30 1/2 inch tire - a diff of about 1 1/2 percent or 1.1666 to be more precise - this diff is too small to worry about - if you were going 100 mph on your speedo you would be actually going 101.6 mph - a ticket either way - at 65 on the speedo the actual would be 66.2 - not enough to worry about or pay good money to have re calibrated in my opinion. Cheaper to just have a fat person on board.

In the real world our tire size most likely changes more or less the same amount depending on if we are alone or have the wife, mother in law and a couple kids on board.

When calculating fuel economy just keep in mind you may travel 1.66% miles further than odo indicates - just put odo miles in calculator + 1.66% divided by gallons = actual mpg
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
You are right on the money DonW! I recently took a trip that I know always showed up on my old Dodge Durango, and also the Chevy SS when I got it, as 209.5 miles. With the new Nitto tires it came up as 206 miles on the trip Odo. So I figured that I needed to correct my odo by 1.7 % With this correction to give me actual miles traveled I went from the 17 mpg I normally got on this mainly highway trip(keeping her under 70) to 17.8 mpg. Nitto claimed these tires would give you a 10 to 15 percent increase, and I originally thought I was seeing that. But my numbers were wrong. James was right in questioning my initial questimation.

My old Nexen tires had gotten so loud I thought I had a bad axle bearing. These tires are so quiet and the SS feels like it just coasts along now, so I thought I would see a bigger improvement in mpg. Still, I'm quite happy with the improved ride, and the reduced road noise. The slight improvement in mpg is ok with me.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 PM

2008 SAAB 9-7x
Carbon Black Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
How about some pics? Would love to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Philadephia, PA Philadephia, PA Philadephia, PA
Philadephia, PA 5.3L V8 2WD
Thank you for posting this information!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM
No longer with us

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Imperial Blue Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govoryat View Post
Thank you for posting this information!)
(sniff, sniff)
Does anyone else here smell spam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in