Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to: Checking for spark in an I6 (video)

17K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Powerman 
#1 ·

Ok so someone recently posted that they "got zapped" while testing for spark in the I6. I can only assume that they used the good ole "jam a screwdriver in the coil" method.:laugh:

So in this video I show you how to check for spark without risking life or limb.

I think I could have checked number 5 without removing the box (like if I had a no start and just wanted a yes or no answer for spark) but since I had the box off anyway I just ran with it.:cool:

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah man, it's handy for fast testing.

Also, they're on sale now.:cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-23970-Checker-Recessed/dp/B000OCKJDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1320026232&sr=1-1

That's good to know. :thumbsup:

:undecided Now when you gonna do a vid on doing brakes? :yes:
Brakes is on the agenda, just need a 'donor' vehicle for a vid. Mine aren't due for a while. Plus, I want one with never-been-removed rear caliper bracket bolts so I can show just how tough those rascals are to get out.

#7 ·
Thansk man.

From reading the article on how to change your breaks here, it doesn't seem to bad. I have the Haynes manual to help also.

I've done brakes before (2002 sunfire). Just looking to save some $$$ by doing it myself.

Any tips to make things go smoothly?

-woody

#17 ·
"Spark Tester"

JonF - you are correct. The tool demonstrated in the first video only indicates the presence of high voltage. It does not tell you that the plug fired. The high voltage will flow through the plug whether it is fouled or not BUT if the plug is fouled, the high voltage will dissipate to ground and not arc over the spark gap.

An intermittent spark plug will allow the high voltage to arc across the air gap sometimes, and then dissipate the high voltage other times.

You can have high voltage but have no spark.
You cannot have spark without high voltage.

I designed a tool years ago (Sparkplug SENSOR, which became OK Spark) that isolated high voltage readings from spark energy readings using a micro controller and some electronics. Unfortunately the company became convoluted with too many greedy people being involved. My technology did turn heads at the Las Vegas SEMA show 2004, 2007, 2008 and won some pretty decent awards too ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.