SS Brake upgrade?? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2006 - 2009 TrailBlazer SS Tech > 06-09 SS Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Brakes

Brakes Brake repairs/upgrades

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Silver Mist Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
SS Brake upgrade??

Is it possible to upgrade my rotors, calipers, brake pads with a system from a corvette? Haven't research this yet but thought i get more info quicker by asking.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy BigBlazer SS Clone
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
of course! one member did it and it looks nice.

BTW, the oem ss rims wont fit, either you need the wheel spacer or different rims.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Anything possible with money. One problem is the Corvette is 5 bolt pattern and SS is 6 bolt. So more parts to change.

IIRC member PediDr2 did it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Steel Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
If it helps anyone, I just started talking to a manufacturer in my area about producing a big brake kit that will fit the 20" wheels using 14" rotors and stoptech calipers. I'm seeing if it is feasible for them to make a kit since no one else produces one for our trucks. then to look at making a 16" kit to fill the 22" replicas i have on my truck also. I'll keep some updates on progress, but the guy seemed interested in producing them since they do fit many models for the GM360 platform, but you would have to keep 20" wheels or larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
Theres a member on the other site that has a Z06 brake kit ready to go, its in early GB stages now. Both front and rear.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silver Mist Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosworth View Post
If it helps anyone, I just started talking to a manufacturer in my area about producing a big brake kit that will fit the 20" wheels using 14" rotors and stoptech calipers. I'm seeing if it is feasible for them to make a kit since no one else produces one for our trucks. then to look at making a 16" kit to fill the 22" replicas i have on my truck also. I'll keep some updates on progress, but the guy seemed interested in producing them since they do fit many models for the GM360 platform, but you would have to keep 20" wheels or larger.
Make sure to get back to us when you have your fillings put back in. Look up "unsprung weight".
Old 12-03-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Make sure to get back to us when you have your fillings put back in. Look up "unsprung weight".

I know all about unsprung weight , laws of inertia, rotating mass, etc. My fillings are perfectly intact and I don't think 22" rims has that much of a detriment on the ride quality. remember ss's have 20's from the factory Scarebird...

Yeah the wheels are heavier if they are cast, and yes mine are. but to i care? no, they are made of quality metal and haven't bent, cracked or had any lateral runout on them yet.

Some of us go for a certain look, and that is how i've designed and build my truck, fr a look. that also goes for the 700lbs of sound system and sound deadening in it, the turbo system that I'm building for it, the drop on it, And the overkil 16" brakes being designed for it. all to fit a look. I also have track cars too that are meant just for race at my shop.

A longer response, but "unspring weight" has no affect on my fillings, only the inertia of the vehicle, wear and performance of the braking system, and gas mileage. but the weight of the 22's doesn't affect the ride quality, rather the stiffness of the sidewall and the height of that in comparison to the diameter of the wheel itself.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I know all about unsprung weight , laws of inertia, rotating mass, etc. My fillings are perfectly intact and I don't think 22" rims has that much of a detriment on the ride quality. remember ss's have 20's from the factory Scarebird...

Yeah the wheels are heavier if they are cast, and yes mine are. but to i care? no, they are made of quality metal and haven't bent, cracked or had any lateral runout on them yet.

Some of us go for a certain look, and that is how i've designed and build my truck, fr a look. that also goes for the 700lbs of sound system and sound deadening in it, the turbo system that I'm building for it, the drop on it, And the overkil 16" brakes being designed for it. all to fit a look. I also have track cars too that are meant just for race at my shop.

A longer response, but "unspring weight" has no affect on my fillings, only the inertia of the vehicle, wear and performance of the braking system, and gas mileage. but the weight of the 22's doesn't affect the ride quality, rather the stiffness of the sidewall and the height of that in comparison to the diameter of the wheel itself.
Do what you need to do. We have had a few customers go down this path with the giant rims and several thou$and dollars later come back to something more drivable. As far as unsprung weigt goes: take a 5lb barbell and shake it; now do the same with a 10 lb. piece - see the difference? no amount of spring/shock adjustment will dial that out. GM fitted the TB with 12-51/64" rotors max; engineers do things for a reason.

Look is subjective, but our last 2 years at SEMA we have noted that other than a few cartoonish rides, wheel size seems to be toning down. My guess is with the economy in the crapper people are far less likely to be ostentatious; whether they have the bux or not...

Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Do what you need to do. We have had a few customers go down this path with the giant rims and several thou$and dollars later come back to something more drivable. As far as unsprung weigt goes: take a 5lb barbell and shake it; now do the same with a 10 lb. piece - see the difference? no amount of spring/shock adjustment will dial that out. GM fitted the TB with 12-51/64" rotors max; engineers do things for a reason.

Look is subjective, but our last 2 years at SEMA we have noted that other than a few cartoonish rides, wheel size seems to be toning down. My guess is with the economy in the crapper people are far less likely to be ostentatious; whether they have the bux or not...

The engineers designed them to that size for a combination or economy and performance... Not for optimal braking with price aside... I get what you are saying about the weight, I have no argument there.

But at the same time, we build street cars, track cars, drift cars, etc. Doug Van Den Brinks was made in house at CIN Motorsports and Vaughn Gitten Jr's exhibition 2010 mustang to name a couple. I know about physics of everything that is involved. we corner balance every track car and run either 18's or 19's on almost all customer track cars. Guess what, they all weigh in at 14-15lbs each.

This trailblazer is not a track car, it's not a drift car, it's a daily driven demo vehicle that attracts attention in "our" niche market. We have many shop demo cars and trucks for different applications and genres or customers. and not one customer has every complained about any car that we've produced, neither has any 1 customer said anything negative about the way other customer's cars appear.

Would I ever put 22" wheels on a track car, hell no! But for this vehicle, it's far from cartoonish. But if that is your opinion I respect that.

As far as SEMA goes, I've been there for the past 3 years... There are more than enough big wheels to show there is still a market. look at Hyundai and Axis's display from last year... Both had larger wheels than comfort could handle. So your point is mute there. We will also be at PRI in December if you care to confront me in person about these issues and you can ride in any vehicle we produce to say how cartoonish and uncomfortable they are.

Back on topic, if you don't like the idea of big brake kits being available, start your own thread. The originator was asking about options, not how idiotic they are or how the original manufacturer didn't put them on for reasons A,B and C.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
The engineers designed them to that size for a combination or economy and performance... Not for optimal braking with price aside... I get what you are saying about the weight, I have no argument there. ...

...Back on topic, if you don't like the idea of big brake kits being available, start your own thread. The originator was asking about options, not how idiotic they are or how the original manufacturer didn't put them on for reasons A,B and C.
Not true. A few years ago at SEMA we ran into some GM suspension and drivetrain engineers showing off the then-new Tahoe (typical GM marketing blunder - marketing never announced it or told anybody, we stumbled on it by complete accident and hence were the only people there so were able to quiz them thouroughly). The suspension guy was pretty clear: anything above 13" for a sub-5000# non-racing vehicle was a penis extension. We took his advice to heart and our business (Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC) flourished because of it (and other's advice, like Jim Wangers).

Now, if you want to get pissy because we recommend against bigger rotors that is your look out - we speak from 5000+ disc conversion sets sold: it is all we do.

Good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in