Front axle disconnect assemblies - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:21 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Front axle disconnect assemblies

Hi everyone!! I have found myself on here a lot. Everyone here seems to have so much great information. I think you guys are doing an amazing job!

As for myself, I have ran into a simular problem I have seen on here in a few different post. I have a "Front axle disconnect assemblie" on the passenger side of my 02 Trailblazer that the bearing went out in. It ended up busting my CV shaft and I couldn't get the whole shaft out. However, I haven't been driving it since I have ran into this issue and would like to fix it before Winter. I have removed what I believe is the 4 bolts that hold the Front axle disconnect in. However, I can not get it to release from the 4X4 Transfer case. If anyone has any suggestions or knows any tricks on getting it to release from the the transfer case, and any idea of where I could get it rebuilt at that would be great. Thanks so much.

Hope this pic works.

For a bigger picture, this is my link to the photo. If you copy and past, it will bring up the pic. Then if you double click the pic, it will make the pic as big as your screen.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/709/frontaxle.jpg/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Victory Red 4.2L I6 AWD
Having done the removal of this twice succesfully, I can probably give you some help. Remove the entire skid plate from the bottom of the engine, this will give you room to get a wedge upto the disconnect. you need to get something wedge shaped that will fit between the disconnect and the oilpan, BUT only where the bolt mountings are, trying to do this anywhere else on the oilpan could crack it.

You need to hit the wedge hard with a hammer. I found starting with a small flat screwdriver worked best for me. then moved to a bigger size until it popped out. (Be careful, I split my thumb open when trying to pry the unit out with a prybar. Wasnt fun trying to re-assemble the front end with only one hand. the other was wrapped tightly to stop the bleeding... needed car fixed to get my thumb fixed lol)

Looking at you seal in the picture, it appears the bearing has been bad for a long time.

When you do get it apart, take pictures of where the thrust washers go... I didnt the first time, and had to take it all apart again.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Thank you for the info. I was trying a prybar today as well. I busted my knuckle open pretty good. Lol. Should have had stitches, but it will heal. Im glad you mentoned taking the skid plate off the bottem. I was thinking about doing that and trying to use a prybar at a different angle. I agree, the wedge is probably a much better idea. Im a little worred about rebuilding this myself. I talked to a dealership about this and they said somthing about being "Locked and Clocked" I have never done 4X4 work before. So I have no Idea what he was talking about. To you have any clue what he ment? And does it pertain to what Im doing?

You said you have done this twice now... I take it this is a huge ongoing issue? Any suggestions on where to find the parts to rebuild it?

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Victory Red 4.2L I6 AWD
I did it twice, due to me getting the thrust washers in the wrong place the first time, be aware if you do decide to redo this yourself.

There is a great walkthru of the repair here http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/te...4wd-disconnect

Locked and clocked im pretty certain isnt regarding the repair. The dealer probably suspects that your mileage isnt correct from what the dashboard is saying. I may be wrong, and one of the more knowledgable members may correct me.

The repair is do-able on your own but will take the best part of a day to complete. Parts are available from a dealer or just do a google search for cheap online gm parts. The part numbers are all listed on the page i gave you the link to.

I ordered

1 x 12479302 Outer CV Shaft Seal
3 x 26053326 Needle Bearing
1 x 12471625 Outer Thrust Washer
1 x 12479132 Shift Fork
1 x 12471624 Fork Spring
1 x 12471629 Middle Thrust Washer
1 x 12471623 Inner Thrust Washer
1 x 15801507 Inner Shaft Seal

This should let you rebuild your disconnect. You may also need to order the gears themselves if the bearing surfaces are badly worn.

Its not a difficult job to do once you have it out and in pieces. just remember to degrease all the parts your keeping, as you dont want to leave any old gunked up grease in there.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks again!! I will be extra careful to take notes when I take it apart to ensure I get it back together right. The walk thru link you gave me is awesome! I wont get to work on it again until this coming weekend. Hopefully I will be able to get a good start on it. Just out of curiousity, what did you use to degreese the parts?

On another note, you mentioned that I might need to replace the gears on mine. I think there is a good chance you are right. Im not sure how long I drove on it before I realized what was wrong. And the broken half of the CV shaft is stuck in there. So I think it might have dammaged more componants inside.

As for "Locked And Clocked". I think the dealership was just trying to make it sound harder so that I would get it done there. They knew I was talking about my four wheel drive front axle. They said once it is apart, if you dont get it locked and clocked, it will never work. Like I said, I think they were just trying to scare me into getting it fixed there. Or maybe there is a different part on the four wheel drive that needs it and they just misunderstood which part I was talking about. Either way, I am def going to give this a go. Im a pretty patient person, and I tend to be very meticulous on how I do the work myself. So once I get it apart, I will def take the time to make sure it is perfect when I put it back together. Still makes me wonder what "Locked and Clocked" is. Lol.

Again, thanks for all your help!!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
There's an aftermarket source FINALLY for these, so you don't need to source GM parts. Just search Amazon for "ATP 111001 Front Axle Disconnect"

$300.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Awesome! I just checked it out. It says they are Brand New, not remanufactured and it sounds like its the whole thing. If my gears are bad, I might go that route. And there is a good chance my gears are bad. Lol.

Im going to look into it more. Im curious if it comes with a new actuator as well or if its without an actuator. This could make nudge me to get it even more if a new actuator comes with it. After all, the Actuator is a $97 part by itself......

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Dorman makes aftermarket actuators (600103) $60 at Rockauto.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Thats the best price Ive seen yet!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Steel Gray Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
i had the very same problem a couple of months back, i ended up buying the ATP 111001 from amazon, and the AP cv half shafts from Rock Auto, and they do rock if i may say, they are super fast in shipping and great service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in