4.2 to 5.3 Swap In Progress - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 AM

2003 5 lift with BFG MT tires 33s 17 rims
Hot rod flat black 5.3L V8 4X4
5.3 swap

Putting a 2004 gmc envoy 5.3 in my 2003 trailblazer lifted 5" with 285/70/17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Satin Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Just seen this and noticed no activity for awhile, wanted to see if any updates were made.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:44 PM

2007 GMC TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyH View Post
Just seen this and noticed no activity for awhile, wanted to see if any updates were made.
bump? just bought a 4.2 with knock for the sake of swapping it. done a few swaps in my life, just curious how bad cross members and wiring will be or was for anybody else.

i swear if i cant find anything online for this, ill document mine step for step so that there's never another living non V8 swapped TB -_-

Old 08-01-2017, 01:31 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
progress?

How are you coming along sean?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM

2007 GMC TrailBlazer LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuntun View Post
How are you coming along sean?
so far just getting lucky but not working on it for another ~2 weeks. i have 2 cadillac STS's that im carving apart and creating a single STS out of, and that project is nearing an end now.

After purchasing a 5.3 engine, 5.3 harness, 0411 ECM, and 5.3 TB oil pan, i found an entire donor Envoy to pull everything from. Nobody showed any interest in it for a couple of weeks, so I got lucky with the price - $1200 for the entire vehicle. Here in CO, vehicles go for 20% more than normal, so if you look at it as a $1000 donor, its not so bad.

I did tell the owner of the salvage yard that I want to fully take photos of the frame, as I keep hearing the frame is different, and that I might want to cut some pieces of it off for the project. He offered to lift it up on a forklift for me so I can get all of the pieces/photos I need.

I'll document the hell out of it as best as I can. There's sooo many TB's out there for so cheap that its a shame nobody else has already done this.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

2007 GMC TrailBlazer LS
to follow up, i have the engine, trans, harness, all of the 4x4 stuff, and i plasma cut the mounting system off of a donor. there's really no way in hell this wont work.

my plans got all derailed with work having me busier than anticipated this year, but im still planning on having this done prior to spring.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:47 PM

2007 GMC TrailBlazer LS
man, nobody else beat me to it, yet?

so i moved, changed jobs, etc. garage is a wreck. i have the entire dropout assembly from a 5.3 trailblazer, i plasma cut the mounts off, in case i need them. i dont see how this isnt a relatively easy swap.

worst case/fears:

* axles are different, so it may overpower the diff. but thats a common thing to address
* fuel pump may be deficient, but a bigger pump & in-line regulator is no big deal

i dont even see why the gauges wouldnt work. im starting this in about 4 weeks, at my current availability.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The motor mount brackets will need to be swapped to use the v8 motor mounts. The gauges should work fine with the 5.3 sending units. The rearend will work for now and may live for a long time depending on your driving. The drive shaft lengths will be different for the front and rear shafts due to the trans mounting location being different than the 4.2. I hear the v8 trailblazers and I6 trailblazers have different brake lines because the abs modules are in different spots. I have only read this and not confirmed in person. As far as the fuel line goes you should be able to get one from a v8 trailblazer from the filter to the fuel rail. I believe they are all returnless.

Definitely keep us updated of the swap progress. I will be swapping a 5.3 into my 02 before too long. I have done several LS swaps on several cars. This one seems pretty straight forward. I’m just going to buy a donor 03 or 04 XL with a 5.3 and take everything I need off and scrap the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4.2, 5.3, engine swap, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in