Sudden loss of power for 2006 Trailblazer 5.3 AFM engine - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > Engine Tunes/Mods

Engine Tunes/Mods Performance Engine Tuning/Engine Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:33 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Sudden loss of power for 2006 Trailblazer 5.3 AFM engine

Background leading up to the beginning of power loss/drop:
I have been receiving the P0171 and P1074 codes that have been set on and then set off.
The entire intake air section has been checked for leaks using water and Starting fluid, no signs in the change of engine RPMS.
I have lived with this lean condition for 12 months.
2 months ago I had a failure with one of the AFM hydraulic lifters and had to pull the heads and replace all lifters and the VLOM with new equipment.
At the same time, the fuel injectors were replaced with refurbished Delphi parts. The COP and spark plugs were replaced. The mechanical part is working very well.
I checked the cylinder compression and they register 180 pounds, the same as before the heads were removed.
After resembling all the pieces, I had the oil pressure sensor stop working, installed a new oil pressure sensor and that was the end of that problem.
This is all the repairs/updates done prior to the sudden power loss/drop

Now I am dealing with the same lean OBD2 codes (171/174) plus a new issue (power loss) that has been impossible for me to locate the cause of this problem:
This power loss/drop is the reason for this post.

I can drive the Trailblazer for 5-10 minutes will get the expect acceleration power and then there is a power loss/drop.
The engine does not accelerate when pushing the gas pedal down and there is some popping in the intake system, which I take this as a sign of lean fuel.
I did not have this issue before removing the heads and replacing the hydraulic lifters.
My first thought was a fuel pump overheating so I hooked up a fuel pressure gage and did the same driving test. The gage shows a pressure of 62 pounds and did not flinch when accelerating.
When the power loss occurred there was no drop in fuel pressure on the gage.
Well darn, I was hoping to fix these 2 issues with a new fuel pump.

In using my scan tool I observed these indicators values when the engine runs well:
O2 Sensors will vary from .1 to .8 volts.
The long term trim% is very high 27-30% always
The short term trim% is very high (21-25%) frequently and sometimes in the negative area. In most cases the SFT% is high when driving; it goes down when in park.
The MAF shows 8.7-9.6 reading when at idle and while driving at around 2000 rpms the reading 70-75.
The fuel tank pressure holds steady at .1

When the power loss/drop occurs I see these reading on the scan tool:
O2 sensors are stuck at .0 to .1 - all 4 of them
The STFT goes to zero and stays there, the LTFT drops to below 20%,
Seems like something has caused the fuel feed to be an idle mode rate, no Limp mode indicator is on.
The MAF rate makes sense with the RPM, which are dropping
In looking at the data log I noticed the EVAP reading changed from -770 to +2.5 and stays positive until the engine is shut off – Why??
This power loss does not go away until I turn off the engine and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, the longer the engine is off, the longer I can drive before the next power loss occurs.
The CEL did not flash.
No new OBD2 codes are set, just have the P0171 and P0174.
To me, this points to a fuel pump overheating, BUT the fuel pressure did not drop 1 bit.

Where do I go next to solve this sudden power loss/drop??

Thanks for any guidance on my power loss problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 AM

2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Since evap is acting weird, have you tried removing gas cap and driving? Makes no sense to me as a fix, but neither does the info you've provided as a problem. There is no EGR to create an issue, but I imagine a legit vacuum leak elsewhere (which you have precluded) would rear its head moreso when warm and lean than cold and fat.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:11 PM

Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysickTB View Post
Background leading up to the beginning of power loss/drop:
I have been receiving the P0171 and P1074 codes that have been set on and then set off.
The entire intake air section has been checked for leaks using water and Starting fluid, no signs in the change of engine RPMS.
I have lived with this lean condition for 12 months.
2 months ago I had a failure with one of the AFM hydraulic lifters and had to pull the heads and replace all lifters and the VLOM with new equipment.
At the same time, the fuel injectors were replaced with refurbished Delphi parts. The COP and spark plugs were replaced. The mechanical part is working very well.
I checked the cylinder compression and they register 180 pounds, the same as before the heads were removed.
After resembling all the pieces, I had the oil pressure sensor stop working, installed a new oil pressure sensor and that was the end of that problem.
This is all the repairs/updates done prior to the sudden power loss/drop

Now I am dealing with the same lean OBD2 codes (171/174) plus a new issue (power loss) that has been impossible for me to locate the cause of this problem:
This power loss/drop is the reason for this post.

I can drive the Trailblazer for 5-10 minutes will get the expect acceleration power and then there is a power loss/drop.
The engine does not accelerate when pushing the gas pedal down and there is some popping in the intake system, which I take this as a sign of lean fuel.
I did not have this issue before removing the heads and replacing the hydraulic lifters.
My first thought was a fuel pump overheating so I hooked up a fuel pressure gage and did the same driving test. The gage shows a pressure of 62 pounds and did not flinch when accelerating.
When the power loss occurred there was no drop in fuel pressure on the gage.
Well darn, I was hoping to fix these 2 issues with a new fuel pump.

In using my scan tool I observed these indicators values when the engine runs well:
O2 Sensors will vary from .1 to .8 volts.
The long term trim% is very high 27-30% always
The short term trim% is very high (21-25%) frequently and sometimes in the negative area. In most cases the SFT% is high when driving; it goes down when in park.
The MAF shows 8.7-9.6 reading when at idle and while driving at around 2000 rpms the reading 70-75.
The fuel tank pressure holds steady at .1

When the power loss/drop occurs I see these reading on the scan tool:
O2 sensors are stuck at .0 to .1 - all 4 of them
The STFT goes to zero and stays there, the LTFT drops to below 20%,
Seems like something has caused the fuel feed to be an idle mode rate, no Limp mode indicator is on.
The MAF rate makes sense with the RPM, which are dropping
In looking at the data log I noticed the EVAP reading changed from -770 to +2.5 and stays positive until the engine is shut off Why??
This power loss does not go away until I turn off the engine and let it sit for 3-5 minutes, the longer the engine is off, the longer I can drive before the next power loss occurs.
The CEL did not flash.
No new OBD2 codes are set, just have the P0171 and P0174.
To me, this points to a fuel pump overheating, BUT the fuel pressure did not drop 1 bit.

Where do I go next to solve this sudden power loss/drop??

Thanks for any guidance on my power loss problem
Update: I turned this troubling trailblazer over to a repair shop and the catalytic converters were replaced with the theory of back pressure to high. This costly repair did not cure the issue. (04-21-18)

Old 06-17-2018, 11:28 AM

Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
Power loss resolved

As mention in the original background information, the fuel injectors were replaced with remanufactured AC Delco injectors.
These injectors must have a small short in them that caused them to seize up and the 10-15 minute test drives.
I remove those injectors and re-installed the original injectors.
The power loss has not occurred since removing the remanufactured injectors.
The loss of fuel feed to the cylinders can be by the fuel pump seizing up or the fuel injectors seizing up.
Dang, I spent 3 months chasing down this problem.
I guess no one else had this problem before or thought of the fuel injectors seizing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel, hesitation, lean, power and performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in