Rough Country VS Traxda VS BDS - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
Who here has used these? 90 dollars for 2" Front and .75" Rear spacers from Rough Country https://www.rockymountainsusp.com/li....html?c=97&i=0 They say with this accommodates 30x9.5 tires. Traxda https://www.rockymountainsusp.com/li...html?c=409&i=3 kit 2.5" Front 1.25" Rear spacers is 200 dollars. They say up to 32" tires... 1/2" difference in front lift = 2" difference in tire diameter?? Am I missing something? BDS http://bds-suspension.com/kit-customizer?kid=168H is 2" kit 460 dollars but they make you buy shocks as part of the kit. They say something about there kit being designed to not "max out" the ball joint. Are the other two kits at risk for the ball joint issue? I know what all these parts are and there individual functions but not really how one type of kit vs another is better/worse. They all seem pretty similar, they're all just spacers? I have read 3"+ lift is going to hurt the CV axle and I don't want/need that. I have an 05 Envoy, will not be doing any offroading, plan on buying 6x5 to 6x5.5 Adapter spacers at some point. Would like a wheel offset/backspace that allows maybe a couple inches of wheel to extend past the fender. Basically I'm asking what kit should I go for? Which would a more lift savvy person use? Also finding SuspensionMaxx and Supreme Suspensions. Pros/Cons of Rough Country/Traxda/BDS/Smaxx/SupremeSuspensions? I have read people saying certain types are ones to avoid. Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I bought the rough country 2” lift and have the .75” spacer installed in the rear. I also bought the slightly longer and stiffer springs off of a 2012 Chevy Tahoe z71 (check rock auto). I completely replaced everything in the suspension since I have 159k miles on my 2004 Envoy XUV. I went with Bilstein HD shocks in the front, new springs off the Envoy XL in the front as well (slightly higher spring rate, so they’re stiffer) and the rough country lift. The front went up about 4.5” from all of this compared to the stock sagging suspension.

For the rear I got the Z71 springs I mentioned earlier along with the skyjacker n8030 shocks, they’re pretty stiff and they’re slightly longer which you don’t “need” per-say but will definitely help prevent the shorter stock length shocks from bottoming out. I got about 2.25” in the rear from doing this over stock.

The rough country and BDS style lifts are designed to preload the front stuts, basically meaning the overall length of the strut assembly when removed from the vehicle is the same, however the springs are slightly compressed with the lift kit installed so your vehicle will sit at a higher point of the suspension travel vs a stock set up. It also makes the ride a bit rougher but I like that.

As far as maxing out the ball joint, people actually flip/reverse the upper control arms to fix this problem. You take the upper control arms off and flip them upside down, then switch the driver side to the passenger side and vice versa. This increases the amount of articulation the upper ball joint has on lifted set ups.

As far as the CV axles, none of these lifts will overextend the angle of the CV axle, however you might notice your stock boots start slinging grease all over after the lift. Basically the clamp holding the boot onto the axle comes loose because of the increased angle, a fix to this is replacing the boots and clamps and repacking them with grease. Not everyone has this problem but I did.

Rounding up this longa** reply lol, I put 32” all-terrain tires under mine (size 275/55R20). I have aftermarket 20” rims with a slight offset to them (I bought them used so not sure what the actual number is) but I also put 1.5” spacers on my Envoy so the wheels stick out pretty nicely and make plenty of room to clear the upper ball joint. Without spacers you can only fit like a 30.5” tire max before they hit the upper ball joint so I definitely recommend the spacers. I had to do quite a bit of trimming to make the tires fit even with the lift. The problem is when you’re turning, the edge of the tire wants to hit everything. Trim the front wheel liner a little and get a sawzall and trim the backside of the wheel liner as well quite a bit and you won’t have any rubbing issues. You’ll have to cut slightly into the rocker panel as well, but it isn’t noticeable after it’s done, at least not on my vehicle.

Hopefully all of this information helps! This site has plenty of information on it for any and all of your needs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11C8D848-AC04-4DFB-96B4-395A44037D31_1556614378671.jpeg‎
Views:	10
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	38045   Click image for larger version

Name:	42A726EB-1791-4A7D-B424-135B838DBE91_1556614386825.jpeg‎
Views:	12
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	38047   Click image for larger version

Name:	4644FC7A-6284-4A33-B089-5074B905EE3D_1556614402108.jpeg‎
Views:	10
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	38049   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE3A637B-5B92-4AC4-854B-DECAFB176373_1556614413222.jpeg‎
Views:	29
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	38051  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in