2002 Trailblazer transmission do i need to worry? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:22 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
2002 Trailblazer transmission do i need to worry?

hello everyone this is my first post here. i recently picked up my first Trailblazer 4x4 LTZ 2002. the vehicle runs great and rides great, but this being my first Trailblazer i have nothing else to compare to. my transmission started acting funny, still getting all my gears but it just seems like the shift points are late. on a cold engine its more noticeable like almost 3k before a shift. at normal operating temp i can see 2k on a shift which feels normal with easy throttle, but if i give heavy throttle its shifting at 2500, this is operating temp. also others have said feels like overdrive is coming in late. on heavy acceleration im reaching 60 MPH and shes still shifting, this does not feel normal. i checked the fluid level and its full and doesn't smell burnt. i thought about taking her in to have the fluid/filter changed, but i keep reading about shift solenoids and them being common problems. i have no SES light and the transmission pulls strong so IDK what to think if im looking at a rebuild in the future. everything else on this vehicle works great AC, heat, 4x4, awesome LED headlight mod very little rust for a Michigan 17yr old SUV thats why i wanna make this work. any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
As you said, try changing the trans fluid with Dex 6.
Quick and dirty, pull the passenger side trans line from the radiator, put a rubber hose on it to a oil drain pan, start the car until the fluid coming out sputters. Then refill and drive.
If the trans filter is partially clogged it won't help anything, so take it FWIW.
If you have access to a Tech2, you can change the shift points, assuming there is no internal damage.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:02 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
It may pay to see if the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is working correctly. If it is feeding incorrect temp info to the PCM, the shift point will be late because it thinks the outside air is still cold. Also make sure that the ambient temperature is indicating correctly either on your inside mirror or on the HVAC panel (depending which system you have).

Old 04-20-2019, 05:19 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_blazer02 View Post
hello everyone this is my first post here. i recently picked up my first Trailblazer 4x4 LTZ 2002. the vehicle runs great and rides great, but this being my first Trailblazer i have nothing else to compare to. my transmission started acting funny, still getting all my gears but it just seems like the shift points are late. on a cold engine its more noticeable like almost 3k before a shift. at normal operating temp i can see 2k on a shift which feels normal with easy throttle, but if i give heavy throttle its shifting at 2500, this is operating temp. also others have said feels like overdrive is coming in late. on heavy acceleration im reaching 60 MPH and shes still shifting, this does not feel normal. i checked the fluid level and its full and doesn't smell burnt. i thought about taking her in to have the fluid/filter changed, but i keep reading about shift solenoids and them being common problems. i have no SES light and the transmission pulls strong so IDK what to think if im looking at a rebuild in the future. everything else on this vehicle works great AC, heat, 4x4, awesome LED headlight mod very little rust for a Michigan 17yr old SUV thats why i wanna make this work. any thoughts?
Changing the fluid will not have any effect on it. If the shift solenoid(s) were bad the trans would take off in third gear all the time. it is possible one is leaking a little, but it's rare. You might suspect the TPS but at this point it's all guess work. One easy thing to do is clear the battery then reconnect it and drive it around easy and let it relearn and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
Changing the fluid will not have any effect on it. If the shift solenoid(s) were bad the trans would take off in third gear all the time. it is possible one is leaking a little, but it's rare. You might suspect the TPS but at this point it's all guess work. One easy thing to do is clear the battery then reconnect it and drive it around easy and let it relearn and see what happens.
if the TPS was bad wouldnt i get a code? ill try disconnecting the battery, see what happens
Old 04-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
if the TPS was bad wouldnt i get a code? ill try disconnecting the battery, see what happens
You would usually get a code yes, but in the real world things don't always work like we expect.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You would usually get a code yes, but in the real world things don't always work like we expect.
how do i test the TPS to see if it working correctly?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
how do i test the TPS to see if it working correctly?
The only way I know to test them is to use a digital oscilloscope. I have one and they do work, but you can get a good idea from reading the voltage coming from the tps with a scan tool. usually at closed throttle it will read about .5 volts or so up to about 4.5 or so at wide open throttle. The voltage should rise steadily but not go up and down. What did clearing the battery do? Anything?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The only way I know to test them is to use a digital oscilloscope. I have one and they do work, but you can get a good idea from reading the voltage coming from the tps with a scan tool. usually at closed throttle it will read about .5 volts or so up to about 4.5 or so at wide open throttle. The voltage should rise steadily but not go up and down. What did clearing the battery do? Anything?
i do have a scanner that displays live data and this is what the throttle position said at idle

i noticed the TPS come built in the throttle bodies so if i have to do it i gues i have to replace the whole throttle body?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_164828[1].jpg‎
Views:	17
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	38013  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
i do have a scanner that displays live data and this is what the throttle position said at idle

i noticed the TPS come built in the throttle bodies so if i have to do it i gues i have to replace the whole throttle body?
On that model I believe you can change just the TPS. So, did clearing the battery have any effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in