2002 Trailblazer transmission do i need to worry? - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum



Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM
sky_blazer02's Avatar
sky_blazer02 sky_blazer02 is offline
Junior Member
 
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
On that model I believe you can change just the TPS. So, did clearing the battery have any effect?
im clearing it now ill report back with my findings
__________________
2008 Pontiac G5 5 speed-2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 4x4-1999 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD-1986 Pontiac Trans Am 5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM
sky_blazer02's Avatar
sky_blazer02 sky_blazer02 is offline
Junior Member
 
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
On that model I believe you can change just the TPS. So, did clearing the battery have any effect?
ok i left the battery positive and negative off for a couple hours. when i went to drive again there was no change in shifting
__________________
2008 Pontiac G5 5 speed-2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 4x4-1999 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD-1986 Pontiac Trans Am 5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM
miketexas miketexas is offline
Member
 
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_blazer02 View Post
ok i left the battery positive and negative off for a couple hours. when i went to drive again there was no change in shifting
Sorry but it's hard to say. A situation like this would call for someone with experience to check it out. If I understand correctly it shifts through all the gears good, right? If so, and seeing how this vehicle is new to you it may be normal or the beginning of something. So you either have to keep driving it as is, start throwing parts at it, or let someone check it out. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #14  
Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM
sky_blazer02's Avatar
sky_blazer02 sky_blazer02 is offline
Junior Member
 
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
Sorry but it's hard to say. A situation like this would call for someone with experience to check it out. If I understand correctly it shifts through all the gears good, right? If so, and seeing how this vehicle is new to you it may be normal or the beginning of something. So you either have to keep driving it as is, start throwing parts at it, or let someone check it out. Good luck.
i took her to my mechanic hes gonna change the fluid/filter at least. i explained the situation to him and hes gonna check everything out. this guy knows these vehicles so if there's a problem he will find it and ill have it fixed and ill report back the results, although i hope its like you said "could be normal" but in my experience im probably looking at a rebuild soon lol
__________________
2008 Pontiac G5 5 speed-2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 4x4-1999 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD-1986 Pontiac Trans Am 5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 AM
Trenchshop Trenchshop is offline
Junior Member
 
2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 13
Two notes I want to make here from my own experience.
1) Be aware that if the transmission hasn't been regularly serviced since its beginning, that fluid may be the last line of defense to keep it from failing. The density of the fluid surrounding the gears may partly be what is letting it shift correctly. I had to have my tranny rebuilt a year ago or so because I did have someone do a drain and fill with filter replacement on my transmission fluid and shortly after got hard shifts from first to second. Ended up having to rebuild very shortly after that.
2) Be aware of heat, have had weird shift intervals before too when driving a lot and tranny heated up.
My Two cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 AM
miketexas miketexas is offline
Member
 
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchshop View Post
Two notes I want to make here from my own experience.
1) Be aware that if the transmission hasn't been regularly serviced since its beginning, that fluid may be the last line of defense to keep it from failing. The density of the fluid surrounding the gears may partly be what is letting it shift correctly. I had to have my tranny rebuilt a year ago or so because I did have someone do a drain and fill with filter replacement on my transmission fluid and shortly after got hard shifts from first to second. Ended up having to rebuild very shortly after that.
2) Be aware of heat, have had weird shift intervals before too when driving a lot and tranny heated up.
My Two cents
The thing you say about the fluid is false sir. I reality it never had anything to do with the gears. Ford used to use square cut seals back in the 60's and 70's and they would become hard an brittle. With no Lip type seals which GM uses today, the new fluid would blow past the old seals. It wont happen on a 4l60. Fake news in other words. Your tranny had problems before you changed the fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 AM
sky_blazer02's Avatar
sky_blazer02 sky_blazer02 is offline
Junior Member
 
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
The thing you say about the fluid is false sir. I reality it never had anything to do with the gears. Ford used to use square cut seals back in the 60's and 70's and they would become hard an brittle. With no Lip type seals which GM uses today, the new fluid would blow past the old seals. It wont happen on a 4l60. Fake news in other words. Your tranny had problems before you changed the fluid.
i trust you Mike, you seem very knowledgeable on these transmissions. thats kinda a relief. when he posted that i remember about 10 yrs ago i called a Ford dealer to schedule a transmission service on mu 89 Mustang and thats exactly what he told me and suggested just change the filter. he said new fluid might agitate the transmission and give me more problems. shortly after i sold that car but didnt really have any transmission problems. any way thank for the info man.

to update everyone i still have not heard back from my mechanic yet but i drive by his house and i see my Trailblazer moved around in different positions quite a bit as if he is driving her so IDK. maybe ill stop by and see how shes doing
__________________
2008 Pontiac G5 5 speed-2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 4x4-1999 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD-1986 Pontiac Trans Am 5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM
miketexas miketexas is offline
Member
 
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_blazer02 View Post
i trust you Mike, you seem very knowledgeable on these transmissions. thats kinda a relief. when he posted that i remember about 10 yrs ago i called a Ford dealer to schedule a transmission service on mu 89 Mustang and thats exactly what he told me and suggested just change the filter. he said new fluid might agitate the transmission and give me more problems. shortly after i sold that car but didnt really have any transmission problems. any way thank for the info man.

to update everyone i still have not heard back from my mechanic yet but i drive by his house and i see my Trailblazer moved around in different positions quite a bit as if he is driving her so IDK. maybe ill stop by and see how shes doing
Thank you. Unfortunately most car dealerships know very little about transmission repair and spread the same stories around that they have heard. Ford no longer uses the square cut seals either and your Mustang would probably have been fine to have the fluid changed.

Here is a analogy for people to consider. Many many times when people have problems with an automatic transmission the first thing they want to do or have recommended to them to do is change the fluid and filter. I look at it a lot like this: If you change the problem to the motor of the vehicle, will changing the motor oil fix a bearing knocking, or a misfire, or a no start condition? Nope it won't. Tests have been done on trans filters that show after a 100,000 miles they still have over 80 percent flow. And if the filter does get stopped up, it's stopped up with clutch and gear parts from failed parts in the trans. When the fluid turns black it is from being contaminated with burnt up clutch plates.

Good luck on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM
sky_blazer02's Avatar
sky_blazer02 sky_blazer02 is offline
Junior Member
 
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketexas View Post
Thank you. Unfortunately most car dealerships know very little about transmission repair and spread the same stories around that they have heard. Ford no longer uses the square cut seals either and your Mustang would probably have been fine to have the fluid changed.

Here is a analogy for people to consider. Many many times when people have problems with an automatic transmission the first thing they want to do or have recommended to them to do is change the fluid and filter. I look at it a lot like this: If you change the problem to the motor of the vehicle, will changing the motor oil fix a bearing knocking, or a misfire, or a no start condition? Nope it won't. Tests have been done on trans filters that show after a 100,000 miles they still have over 80 percent flow. And if the filter does get stopped up, it's stopped up with clutch and gear parts from failed parts in the trans. When the fluid turns black it is from being contaminated with burnt up clutch plates.

Good luck on it.
well i got a call shortly after my reply earlier this morning, he dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid. he took her for a long drive after also scanning for codes and said the transmission is working as it should be and shifting great. so it seems maybe since i had nothing to compare to thats just how the 4l60 is supposed to be
__________________
2008 Pontiac G5 5 speed-2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LTZ 4x4-1999 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD-1986 Pontiac Trans Am 5.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:35 PM
miketexas miketexas is offline
Member
 
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TX
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_blazer02 View Post
well i got a call shortly after my reply earlier this morning, he dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid. he took her for a long drive after also scanning for codes and said the transmission is working as it should be and shifting great. so it seems maybe since i had nothing to compare to thats just how the 4l60 is supposed to be
Good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 XL's Envoy & Trailblazer rbagley Introductions 1 10-16-2014 07:40 PM
2002 Trailblazer AC lines different from all other years?!?!? Jeremy29 General 0 08-24-2014 01:59 AM
2002 trailblazer transmission removal from underneath the bottom of truck jrq71071 Transmission Mods 1 06-07-2014 12:05 PM
Just got a 2002 Trailblazer...transmission question mrdctaylor General 9 05-13-2014 10:51 PM
2002 LTZ Trailblazer problems: trans slip, PS leak, front end noise aliriano1 OEM Issues 3 08-02-2009 11:21 PM


» Sponsors

Advertising Info

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Chevy TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy Enthusiasts - Copyright 2004 - 2009 All Rights Reserved.
All trademarks referenced herein are property of their respective owners.
RSS Feed