"OFFICIAL THREAD" on brakes staying applied - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > OEM Issues

OEM Issues OEM Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I have had this problem several times and had my TB in at the dealer (who was no help). Then I brought it to my mechanic who I have been using since I can remember and he was unable to find the problem. I was finally able to figure out what the problem was and it was an easy fix. Why I did not think of this from the beginning, I don't know. And I am not sure if this is the cause of your problems. I put in an after market radio (Pioneer AVIC-D2) and had to use a BUS adapter because of the On Star and Bose. After talking to Metra, they told me that although the harness was compatible with 07 TB, it was never tested since it was put in circulation in 06 and was unsure if there were any issues with the device.
It has been 5 months since i put the stock radio back in and I have not had a hick-up with the truck. My guess is there was a communication problem between the data bus and the EBS. Hope that this helps anyone who has been having this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 AM

Wrong thread?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior44 View Post
I have had this problem several times and had my TB in at the dealer (who was no help). Then I brought it to my mechanic who I have been using since I can remember and he was unable to find the problem. I was finally able to figure out what the problem was and it was an easy fix. Why I did not think of this from the beginning, I don't know. And I am not sure if this is the cause of your problems. I put in an after market radio (Pioneer AVIC-D2) and had to use a BUS adapter because of the On Star and Bose. After talking to Metra, they told me that although the harness was compatible with 07 TB, it was never tested since it was put in circulation in 06 and was unsure if there were any issues with the device.
It has been 5 months since i put the stock radio back in and I have not had a hick-up with the truck. My guess is there was a communication problem between the data bus and the EBS. Hope that this helps anyone who has been having this problem.

Communication issue, probably, but mine is 100% completely stock, radio has never been touched in it, nor has anything else...

I have not had it happen again, because I'm careful not to be on and off the brakes in a trailing fashon, a bunch of times in a row, now... I basically drive around it, which I don't think I should have to do on a brand new, $32k vehicle...

Mike

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I had this happen this weekend in my 2008 TB (~7500 miles).

I didn't even get to move before the brakes locked up. I was moving from my driveway to my garage. Got in, started the truck. Pushed to brake pedal to shift from park, shifted to drive, left off the brake pedal. The truck didn't move but my drive has a slight slope to it, so I didn't think much of it. I gave it a little gas, and the rear end squated a little, but it wouldn't move. I checked the e-brake (which wouldn't have made sense). I pushed the brake pedal to shift to reverse, and noticed that it got hard like pushing the brake pedal when it is off. I wouldn't move in reverse either. I put it back in drive, and give it enough gas to spin the tires, but it wouldn't move. I put it in park, shut it off, turned it back on, put it in gear and pulled it into the garage with no problem.

It felt almost like the booster had lost its vaccuum... Then again, maybe the brakes always have been dragging... that would explain the gas mileage
Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 AM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
be aware of another potential problem...

maybe yours will start acting like mine and have the brakes(by themselves) go on while driving straight road, dry pavement....that's fun too....mine (2008 Envoy with 16500mi) has now been 3 weeks at the dealers with no solution attained for this situation....I'm PO'd on one hand because I want my D$*n SUV but at the same time, I want the "devil" to be GONE!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM

It's the self checking brake system. Only a few trucks off the assembly line received them. Your one of the lucky ones.

(I'm kidding.)
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Mine is in the shop right now for the exact same problem. The brakes have locked up on me in the middle of traffic after a light push on the pedal. I think that it could lead to an accident. The first time it did it the traction control light lit up. I took it in and the dealer replace the traction control module. It did not fix the problem. The dealer has it now. They are going to replace the abs control module now. They are not sure what the problem is. I think the dealer is just throwing parts are it until we go away or the warrenty expires. The problem started around 6500 miles. I have 36K on the truck now.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
2 weeks since last trip to shop...fixed? Hmm I don't know yet!

Just to give you an update on the situation....after spending another 7 days at a different dealer, with a yaw rate sensor, lateral accelerator sensor, EBCM replacement.....not yet corrected.

The last thing to be fixed was wiring issue (under doorjamb?) with a terminal not seated properly. Picked it up about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be fixed....will drop back with further developments if necessary. Take this for what it's worth, however my issue was definitely traction control related.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Brakes apply themselves

Hello,

Dig828, my 03 Trailblazer does the same thing about 10 min into driving.

Driving along at 100 km/hr and all of a sudden the revs jump up to ~3k to keep moving on a flat road. Let off the gas, and the brakes are on, all four corners. (All hot and smoking)

When this first started happening, I'd pull over, turn off the vehicle and wait 20 min. Start back up, keep going no problem. It happens only once per trip, and after the truck warms up a bit (just got it beginning of Dec.).

Took it to the dealer, no codes, brakes are ok.....cannot replicate problem...basically told me I was full of it.

Did some reading and figured it was the Booster. Asked the dealership's brake guy, and he tells me, yes, it could be the booster or the brake switch not allowing the brake pedal to move fully backward. Next time it happens put you foot UNDER the pedal and pull up.

Sure enough, next time the brakes apply themselves, I pull up on the pedal, brakes let go.

Checked the brake switch, it doesn't seem to have anything to interfere with brake pedal travel.

I figure either the rod from the booster to the pedal needs adjustment (if possible), or a new booster is in order. What seems to be happening it since the pedal does not return fully, the vacuum bleed in the booster does not close, so it has vacuum on only one side (like when you apply the brakes), and they slowly apply themselves.

I need to buy a Helm's manual still, then I can see it the rod to the pedal is adjustable.

So next time it happens, try pulling up the pedal while your moving.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Eric,

That was actually the first thing I tried... Mine was a simple, "cycle the ignition" and it went away... Mine was 100% electronic/electrical... Some of these posted might benefit from pulling up the brake pedal (and should try it), but mine didn't...

Thanks for the post, though! It'll help somebody!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in