Transmission Leaking at Cooler Line - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 AM

yep, that's what it was on mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thx just wanted to make sure before I start buying the stuff to fab a new line

have a happy holiday.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoli View Post
I forgot the picture and it wouldn't let me edit it for some reason.

Ive got an 02 also and mine is leaking from one of those pipes. Its not the one shown patched this in photo but the one that runs parallel to it, right next to it.
I was wondering what that line was called, where it goes. I need to find the part number.

Any help would be great

Old 05-16-2009, 04:14 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Not sure which one of mine is leaking but I am going to be cutting a 2 foot section out of it tonight at work and installing a section of hose. The line was covered with a foil covered fabric protector, which while I'm sure it provided heat protection, sure did do a good job at retaining salt water during the winter. I just hope I have room enough get my hand in there to push the hose on where it goes up to the top of the tranny. Leaking at the bend there and also above the forward cross member. Sure not looking forward to having to drop the tranny. Guess I better pick up some tranny fluid on the way to work as I'm sure I'll lose some when I cut the line. Don't really care what it looks like, just as long as it stops leaking.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Not sure which one of mine is leaking but I am going to be cutting a 2 foot section out of it tonight at work and installing a section of hose. The line was covered with a foil covered fabric protector, which while I'm sure it provided heat protection, sure did do a good job at retaining salt water during the winter. I just hope I have room enough get my hand in there to push the hose on where it goes up to the top of the tranny. Leaking at the bend there and also above the forward cross member. Sure not looking forward to having to drop the tranny. Guess I better pick up some tranny fluid on the way to work as I'm sure I'll lose some when I cut the line. Don't really care what it looks like, just as long as it stops leaking.
Mine is leaking in the same exact spot! Right above, what appears to be, the cat. converter. I kept smelling burning oil and noticed a puddle about the size of a pancake in my driveway. Crawled under there and its dripping out of the "foil covered" part of line

I looked at the lines and I really do NOT want to replace all of the lines, looks like a royal PITMFA.

Putting a piece of rubber hose down there with 2 clamps kinda freaks me out because tranny fluid + very hot cat. converter = fire. I also dont see how I'd have the room down there to put in compression fittings. I have about 4" to work between the trans and the cat. converter.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM

I picked up some tranny cooler hose from Autozone yesterday and I used some hose clamps from Kmart. I was in a hurry and Autozone was out and I was on my way to work. Man those are some cheap azz hose clamps. I think there were made from a cheap aluminum alloy. It's a good thing the hose went on as hard as it did and there isn't any kind of real pressure on that line. I stopped at Advance here in North Chicago on my way to work and got some good fuel line hose clamps, the kind that has the nut and bolt setup instead of the worm screw thingy. Replaced the clamps and now my only concern is if the catalytic converter puts off enough heat to affect the hose. Wonder if I could get some of that foil covered sleeve material that caused this problem in the first place.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
my only concern is if the catalytic converter puts off enough heat to affect the hose. Wonder if I could get some of that foil covered sleeve material that caused this problem in the first place.
Thats my concern too. If that hose melts or pops off, you better pay attention because ATF will start a fire. Ive used rubber hoses in the past with clamps, but never that close to the exhaust. What a retarded design. I wonder what engineer was smoking crack the day they approved it for production!

I was thinking about using rubber hose, but looping it way high up in the frame and zip tieing it to something, so that its away from the exhaust....

Either way, Im going to call around tmo for some quotes for full replacement or maybe splicing in some metal line with compression fittings.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Personally I think that every engineer that designs any part of a car needs to remove and replace that part after the vehicle has been completely built. Especially oil pans and oil filters. And why isn't there a drain plug for the tranny pan? Ever try to drop one of those without making a huge mess?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Personally I think that every engineer that designs any part of a car needs to remove and replace that part after the vehicle has been completely built. Especially oil pans and oil filters. And why isn't there a drain plug for the tranny pan? Ever try to drop one of those without making a huge mess?
I totally agree!!

What I do now with the trans pan, I have a marine engine oil changer. I hook that up to the dipstick and siphon out a few quarts, and then drop the pan.

Before that though, I def. ruined a few good shirts dropping that pan
Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 AM

I would venture to say there is an after market kit to install a drain plug. Might consider doing that on my next vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in