rear wiper doesn't work - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
I have an 04 Trailblazer, and I've had a similar problem: up until two weeks ago, my rear windshield wiper worked 100% of the time. Now, the wiper arm works like it's supposed to be, but the washer fluid doesn't come out when it's supposed to. And when I lifted my tailgate to investigate, there was wiper fluid all on the jamb (where the gate locks into the car) like it had all leaked on there. I'm gonna try and take the plastic stuff off (the interior vinyl stuff) to see what's up next weekend.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Light Pewter Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Another rear wiper not working

I have the same issue in that the rear wiper does not work. Didn't try the washer. My hatch electric lock doesn't work either. Both started at the same time and in fact the remote will not function despite a new battery.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemyou View Post
I have the same issue in that the rear wiper does not work. Didn't try the washer. My hatch electric lock doesn't work either. Both started at the same time and in fact the remote will not function despite a new battery.
The receiver for the remote unlock is the rear liftgate control module, which also controls the other functions you have problems with. It could be that its fuse (#3 in the rear fuse block) has gone, or a wire in the harness going to the rear liftgate module is bad. They often break over time due to flexing near the hinge where the liftgate opens. Check out the wiring hidden by the rubber boot.

If your rear washer pump works, that's entirely controlled by other circuits, and not the rear liftgate module.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
My rear wiper works, the license plate light works and I think the rear defrost works (too warm to really tell) Fuses 3 and 6 under the rear seat are good and the radio stays on until I open the door. My problem is the liftgate or glass will not lock with/without the remote. All other doors lock but on the lifgate I can open with the lever or the glass can open by pushing on the button. Is this the wire harness issue or the liftgate module shot ?

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
... I can open with the lever or the glass can open by pushing on the button. Is this the wire harness issue or the liftgate module shot ?.
Could be liftgate solenoid or mechanical lever issues as well. I'd remove the liftgate internal cover and just look closely as you use the remote keyfob.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
Could be liftgate solenoid or mechanical lever issues as well. I'd remove the liftgate internal cover and just look closely as you use the remote keyfob.
So once the rear wipers and the plates light are working I can eliminate the LCM, correct? and that means no broken wire in the harness?

I know you said as well but I would like to narrow it down as much as possible, if you can let me know.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
So once the rear wipers and the plates light are working I can eliminate the LCM, correct? and that means no broken wire in the harness?
Not quite. The license plate lights are powered by separate wiring used by the marker lights, and don't go near the LGM. The rear wiper working is a good thing, since it means that serial data communication to the module is OK. Also if the defogger wires heat up that's also proof that serial communication is OK.

The LGM still controls the liftgate latch assembly, which has only two wires in its connector. To latch it, the LGM puts ground on one and 12V on the other. To unlatch, it reverses the polarity. So your problem could be in the LGM putting those voltages (from its connector C2, pins 6 & 8) into the short harness that goes to the liftgate latch assembly, or it could be a bad latch assy, or the latch assy could be hung up or need lubrication.

Do you hear any clicking from inside the liftgate when you try to unlock or lock the vehicle?

I don't see any way to proceed at this point other than take the panels off the inside of the liftgate, and poke about with a meter on the latch assy connector. There's a tiny chance that one of the three 12V power feeds to the LGM is broken, but the schematics are not entirely clear on which power feed controls which function of the LGM. There are only three of them, and they are all orange wires, so it's easy to probe.

If you're not comfortable or experienced with electrical troubleshooting with a meter, you should just buy some excellent beer and dangle it as bait to attract a friend who is.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
Not quite. The license plate lights are powered by separate wiring used by the marker lights, and don't go near the LGM. The rear wiper working is a good thing, since it means that serial data communication to the module is OK. Also if the defogger wires heat up that's also proof that serial communication is OK.

The LGM still controls the liftgate latch assembly, which has only two wires in its connector. To latch it, the LGM puts ground on one and 12V on the other. To unlatch, it reverses the polarity. So your problem could be in the LGM putting those voltages (from its connector C2, pins 6 & 8) into the short harness that goes to the liftgate latch assembly, or it could be a bad latch assy, or the latch assy could be hung up or need lubrication.

Do you hear any clicking from inside the liftgate when you try to unlock or lock the vehicle?

I don't see any way to proceed at this point other than take the panels off the inside of the liftgate, and poke about with a meter on the latch assy connector. There's a tiny chance that one of the three 12V power feeds to the LGM is broken, but the schematics are not entirely clear on which power feed controls which function of the LGM. There are only three of them, and they are all orange wires, so it's easy to probe.

If you're not comfortable or experienced with electrical troubleshooting with a meter, you should just buy some excellent beer and dangle it as bait to attract a friend who is.
I can hear the clicking, I did take off the panel and everything looks well lubricated by the latch assembly. I usually spray and grease them before winter. I will follow up by testing voltages, see what I get and report back.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
No longer with us

Took the panel off and checked all 3 orange wires got 12.7 v. Check continuity on the wires and they were good. So I climbed in and start locking/unlocking with the remote and noticed the switch on top (where the lead is) is try to move a lever of some sort but I couldn't see. I pulled the complete unit off and the arm the switch was trying to move was rusted tight (where arrow is).
Everything is back to normal now, thank you Roadie for the tips.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...eizedLatch.jpg
Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but I am also suffering from rear wiper failure and cannot seem to find the source. I just bought a 2002 LTZ, and the PO said that the rear wiper hadn't worked for awhile.

I have checked fuses #3 & #19 in the rear fuse panel, and they both appear to be good.

I did not see any frayed or broken wires in the loom running through the top of the hatch.

I did find that the hose for the rear washer appeared to have popped loose right near the wiper motor, which may explain why some of the metal clips holding the trim on were rusty. I put that back together and it seems to be spraying properly now.

I noticed a fair amount of corrosion on the wiper shaft, which I cleaned up, but that made no difference.

The motor itself looked to be in OK shape, and I have 12V on the orange wire in the wiper motor harness, but the green wire (pin E I think) is always at ground. Vehicle on/off, wiper control on/off makes no difference here.

Since my keyless entry works and I think my defroster does as well (it gets 12V when the defrost setting is on) I don't think the problem is with the LGM.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in