Roof Rack removal - Page 2 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 AM
No longer with us

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
The set screws are definitely the way to go! Nice job, now get them paint matched so they don't rust out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
looking at making this mod soon but was wondering if larger push in plastic pins would look better that a screw. and if they do look better where do you get those pins and can we have pics... I really like the way the TB look with out the Roof Rack if you dont ever use it.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGrazer13 View Post
looking at making this mod soon but was wondering if larger push in plastic pins would look better that a screw. and if they do look better where do you get those pins and can we have pics... I really like the way the TB look with out the Roof Rack if you dont ever use it.
A little more looking and I answered my own question...

Dorman panel retainers and
AutoZone, GM touch-up paint, and some gasket sealant.
I just need to read more.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Push pins

I tried some push pins from Auto Zone and they were the wrong size. I went to Ace and got the 6mm set screws and finished it off with some silicone. Looks great and I like it.

Houbie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4140009.JPG‎
Views:	850
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	11599  
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
The !roof rack mod does look good...........if you dont have a XL. I tried it this weekend and IMO it looked like pure crap. So I put them back on and left the crossbars off
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houbie View Post
I tried some push pins from Auto Zone and they were the wrong size.
The multi-kit that they sell has the right size, but you need to get 2 of them to have enough to do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 PM
No longer with us

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGrazer13 View Post
To each his own, it just depends on what you like.

In my opinion, and I have done both, the push pins add another 1/8 of an inch, and are more noticeable. I prefer the set screws, that will be flush, and then paint to match.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM

2005 Chevy Blazer
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Great tip on the set screws. Looks nice.

Unfortunately, 2 of the screws on my TV were rusted pretty solid. I was able to get the rack off around them, but now the lousy screw heads are showing. I dropped the headliner to gain access to the bottom of the nutserts but they are all but impossible to get to... Still messing with them.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Dogg View Post
Great tip on the set screws. Looks nice.

Unfortunately, 2 of the screws on my TV were rusted pretty solid. I was able to get the rack off around them, but now the lousy screw heads are showing. I dropped the headliner to gain access to the bottom of the nutserts but they are all but impossible to get to... Still messing with them.
Same problem here on the front screw driver side. It is really in there and the insert is turning with the screw. Realy want those racks off but don't want to mess my roof up. I'm going to soak the screw with penetrating oil for a few days and see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM

2005 Chevy Blazer
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
EXACTLY!!! It's the 2 forward most screws on the drivers side. Perfect place to remind you every time you get in that the jobs not done!!! Actually it was just the first one, but as a test to see how, "just putting the screws back in" would look, I tightened down that second one... BIG mistake. Bitch wont come out and just spins. The rack actually wiggled its way over the one bolt, so my rack is off.

I essentially boogered up the first one so bad that I ended up lopping the head off with a with a cut off wheel and gooping some black silicone over it as I needed to let the GF use it today. I think the only solution at this point is to drill it out, then replacing with a new nutsert I suppose. I forsee that making the damn thing spin still, so that will be a challenge as well. For what it's worth, an 8mm high offset wrench "probably" would have done the trick to hold the nutsert. I dunno.

Truck look a jillion times better without the rack tho. Much lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
plug, roof rack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in