How do you replace the rear axle seals? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain

02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain Q&A forum for engine and drivetrain repairs/modifications/tuning.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How do you replace the rear axle seals?

Ok, not sure if this is in the right are or not, so moderators feel free to move it. was replacing the breaks on my truck and realized that the right rear axle seal is just about gone and the left is leaking. I am pretty good with my hands but have absolutley no clue on how to replace this. Do i need to pull the entire axle? Can i just remove the hub? HELP PLEASE!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KENTUCKY REP
"I HEAR STUPID PEOPLE"
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
If it's like my S-10, it's not REALLY bad, but can be kind of a job...

Parts:
- hub bearings
- hub seals
- NEW differential cross pin retaining bolt (manual on my S-10 says to replace this every time)
- 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
- Diff cover gasket

Procedure:
1. Remove brakes
2. Remove diff cover
3. Remove cross pin retainer bolt
4. Tap cross pin halfway out, turn diff by hand, then pull it the rest of the way out.
5. Slide axle shafts in, and remove C-clips
6. Slide axle shafts out
7. Using slide hammer with axle bearing attachment (Auto Zone rents this), beat the snot out of bearings, pulling bearings and seals out
8. Using a big socket (or bearing driver), put in new bearings, then seals
9. Clean up the axle shaft (where and around where bearing rides) with oiled sand paper (this is just to keep the rust and such from cutting the new seal when you push the axle in farther than the old seal was riding, to put the C-clip on)
10. Oil up the axle shafts, and put them back in (being careful not to damage bearings or seals)
11. Put C-clips on, and slide axles back out to lock C-clips in
12. Put cross pin in, making sure to line it up with the retainer bolt hole
13. Put in NEW cross pin retainer bolt
14. Clean diff cover and mating surfaces
15. Using new diff cover gasket, put diff cover back on
16. Fill diff
17. Put brakes back on.
18. done.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The GB ended, but PM me if you want one!

GB also ended, but PM me if you want these!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
If it's like my S-10, it's not REALLY bad, but can be kind of a job...

Parts:
- hub bearings
- hub seals
- NEW differential cross pin retaining bolt (manual on my S-10 says to replace this every time)
- 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
- Diff cover gasket

Procedure:
1. Remove brakes
2. Remove diff cover
3. Remove cross pin retainer bolt
4. Tap cross pin halfway out, turn diff by hand, then pull it the rest of the way out.
5. Slide axle shafts in, and remove C-clips
6. Slide axle shafts out
7. Using slide hammer with axle bearing attachment (Auto Zone rents this), beat the snot out of bearings, pulling bearings and seals out
8. Using a big socket (or bearing driver), put in new bearings, then seals
9. Clean up the axle shaft (where and around where bearing rides) with oiled sand paper (this is just to keep the rust and such from cutting the new seal when you push the axle in farther than the old seal was riding, to put the C-clip on)
10. Oil up the axle shafts, and put them back in (being careful not to damage bearings or seals)
11. Put C-clips on, and slide axles back out to lock C-clips in
12. Put cross pin in, making sure to line it up with the retainer bolt hole
13. Put in NEW cross pin retainer bolt
14. Clean diff cover and mating surfaces
15. Using new diff cover gasket, put diff cover back on
16. Fill diff
17. Put brakes back on.
18. done.

Mike
Thanks mike! While I really appreciate the detailed explanation this is a little out of my comfort zone so I will just take it to my mechanic and let him do it for the $160 he quoted me.

Brian

KENTUCKY REP
"I HEAR STUPID PEOPLE"

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
bearings?

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. Just did a rear brake job yesterday and noticed a leak on the passenger side axle seal. I think I'm gonna tackle this job myself but was thinking I might as well replace both seals as well as both bearings while i'm in there. Any thoughts? I figure it can't hurt since they've got 210,000 miles on them.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblock72 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. Just did a rear brake job yesterday and noticed a leak on the passenger side axle seal. I think I'm gonna tackle this job myself but was thinking I might as well replace both seals as well as both bearings while i'm in there. Any thoughts? I figure it can't hurt since they've got 210,000 miles on them.
I have to pull the drivers side out for a bad seal, but I am just going to pull that one because with 90,000 miles on it, I am one of the if it ain't broke, don't fix it, keep us posted on your seal project
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Year
Choose your year
Or enter your choice here:
Vehicle Color
Choose your factory color (Custom, Not Listed & Two-Tones; Use Text Field Below)
Vehicle Make
Choose your make
Vehicle Model
Choose your model
Vehicle Engine
Choose your engine
Vehicle Drivetrain
Choose your vehicle drivetrain
Security Question
Fill in the blanks: Tra___oy
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in